Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Australian Girl Fails Course for Refusing Assignment about Gays

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
A 13-YEAR-OLD student was failed after she refused to write an assignment on life in a gay community, because of her religious and moral beliefs.

Her outraged mother, Christian groups and the State Opposition want an investigation into the treatment of the Year 9 student at Windaroo Valley State High School, south of Brisbane.

"It's no wonder our kids are struggling with the basics when the Government is allowing this sort of rubbish to be taught in the classroom," Opposition Leader Jeff Seeney told The Sunday Mail yesterday.

The uproar came as Federal Education Minister Julie Bishop this week announced plans for Canberra to take control of school curriculums from the states, accusing "ideologues" of hijacking the education system .

The girl was among a class of 13 and 14-year-olds asked to imagine living as a heterosexual among a mostly homosexual colony on the moon as part of their health and physical education subject.

They had to answer 10 questions, including how they felt about being in the minority and what strategies they would use to help them cope.

They were also asked to discuss where ideas about homosexuality came from.

Sources said the students were told not to discuss the assignment with their parents and that it was to be kept in-class.

They said many of the students were uncomfortable with the subject matter or did not understand the questions.

The 13-year-old girl instantly refused to do the assignment on religious and moral grounds.

"It is against my beliefs and I am not going there," she told the teacher, who responded by failing her.

After a series of discussions between the school and her mother, it was suggested the girl would be better off leaving the state education system and attending an independent school.

The girl's mother said yesterday she did not learn of the assignment until reading her daughter's report card several weeks later and discovered a first-ever fail mark for health and physical education.

"I went to the school thinking there might have been a personality clash with the teacher," said the mother, who asked to be identified only as Bronwyn.

She said she was shown the assignment. "When I started to read it I thought, 'Oh my God' . . . I was shocked by the content," she said.

"My daughter said she didn't want to do the assignment because she did not believe in homosexuality and did not want to answer the questions.

"She was being challenged, but she should not be challenged like that at her age."

Bronwyn was concerned that her daughter was not given an alternative scenario.

She said the school claimed it was powerless to change the curriculum.

Bronwyn said the school seemed more concerned about how parents found out about the assignment.

"That's what concerns me most . . . the parents had no opportunity to even see the assignment," Bronwyn said.

Ms Bishop said the incident highlighted her concerns.

"This is another example of a politically-correct agenda masquerading as curriculum," she said yesterday.

"Parents need to know the content of school curriculum so they can be confident their children are receiving a high quality education that is also consistent with their values."

The State Opposition and Australian Christian Lobby demanded an investigation.

Mr Seeney said Queensland needed common sense back in the classroom.

"The Beattie Labor Government has created a system that tries to tell kids what to think instead of teaching them how to think," he said.

"It is completely out of line for students to be graded on their moral beliefs.

"It's not the job of our schools to politicise our children. It is their function to provide our kids with the basics, like reading, writing and maths."

Christian Lobby state director Peter Earle said the assignment was not about education, rather a teacher or school pushing their own agenda on young minds.

"The subject matter was totally inappropriate," he said.

After being approached by The Sunday Mail, an Education Queensland spokeswoman late yesterday said the school had decided to drop the assignment from its curriculum and would work with the girl and her family to achieve a "satisfactory resolution".

"The aim of the assignment was to encourage students to think about diversity, culture and belief systems," she said.

"Schools can offer alternative assessment topics in consultation with parents, if the school is aware of concerns about an assignment."

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I have been out of the classroom for over 11 years and I am glad I do not have to worry about this.
I'm not sure it was an appropriate assignment. I do feel tolerance should be addressed but perhaps just in a discussion group.  The little ones I taught would meet as a group with the school counselor weekly, and different topics would be shared.  It was non threatening and I feel the kids did get exposed to different ideas.
Perhaps the school could have shared with the parents that today or this week we will be discussing the topic  X. The parents would have then known.  I am not against homosexuality being discussed but I think parents should be informed.

I personally have trouble using the word gay.  I grew up with it meaning happy, cheerful etc. It is in all the old songs I love.  Plus it rhymes with so many words and I like little poems. I am always behind the times.  :Tounge:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

I personally have trouble using the word gay.  I grew up with it meaning happy, cheerful etc. It is in all the old songs I love.  Plus it rhymes with so many words and I like little poems. I am always behind the times.  :Tounge:

I was so very happy
I'd always been that way
I was so very happy
I'd felt it everyday
But now I am very sad
I'm just so sorry to say
I woke up one morning
And found I couldn't be gay

Posted Image

See what I mean?  :snork_lach:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts
That's a problem I don't have. I woke up one morning and found out that I was gay.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

That's a problem I don't have. I woke up one morning and found out that I was gay.

No problem with that.  :snork_tanz:

I am just unhappy I can't use the word without somebody shushing me to not use that word.
I can't seem to make jocund and mirthful rhyme with anything.  :snork_lach:

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I use "gay" to mean "happy and lighthearted" quite often. I don't care about its newer meaning, it's been used to indicate a cheerful disposition for a very long time and like most words with more than one meaning the context makes it clear. Refusing to use "gay" in all its meaning kindof implies that there's something dirty or wrong about it's newer meaning that people don't wish to be reminded of: as a cheerful, chipper, lighthearted and generally merry person I don't see anything wrong with using a word for that state that also means "homosexual". If we can use "dyke" to mean both a certain stereotype of lesbian and a wall for keeping water back then why can't we use gay to mean both? It's a lovely word.

I'm in quite a gay mood today, in fact. We need to reclaim it: there is nothing shameful about being cheerful or homosexual. We should be able to say of a queer cheerful person that they are "a very gay gay". And we should also be able to talk about queer queers. English is like that, we have the power, we should do it. :-)

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts
I got quite a gay feeling reading your message, Jinny. I guess you made me gay gay :-)

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

English is like that, we have the power, we should do it. :-)

Today I read a post I like
About a gay and about a dyke

Guess I'll use words without a winkin'
New ideas are good I'm a thinkin'
:snork_lach:

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
http://www.thatwasfu...rd-to-learn/206

I rest my case. :-)

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

I rest my case. :-)

I hope you will send me the rest of these in case I miss some of them.  :Tounge:

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
It might just be that the school I attended was fairly liberal-minded, but that sounds like a perfectly acceptable topic for a health / family life course.  After all it's the same class that teaches students sex education.

Doesn't "believe" in homosexuality?  Jesus Christ...

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts

Doesn't "believe" in homosexuality?  Jesus Christ...

There you go again, expecting people to make sense.  Keep in mind, the motivation for the girls refusal was of a religious nature, so it is almost to be expected that what she says would be nonsensical.

No, but seriously, your point is actually well taken.  Are we to understand that this young lady denies the existence of homosexuals?

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
So  . . . You give the little twirp an [glow=red,2,300]"F"[/glow] and move on.  :snork_lach:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users