Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Atheist mother loses ruling

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, September 9, 2006
PORTLAND - A Portland elementary school didn't discriminate against an atheist first-grader by requiring his presence at a Boy Scout recruiting session held at lunchtime, the Oregon Supreme Court ruled on Friday.

The Scout oath requires members ''to do my duty to God and my country,'' but simply providing information to pupils in public schools isn't discrimination, the court said. Justices denied the claim of atheist Nancy Powell, whose son, Remington, was in Harvey Scott Elementary School when the dispute began in 1996.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
You might not agree with me, but I think that atheists need to pick their battles more carefully.  I personally can't stand some of the bullshit that the BSA has allowed to happen on their watch, but that doesn't automatically make them all bad people who are out to brainwash or molest little children.  They treated him the same as any other first-grader, regardless of religion or lack thereof.  For them to have told him to sit out because he's an atheist would only have reinforced the notion that atheists need to be regarded differently from the rest.

This is a lot like the case with the Pledge of Allegiance.  Unless they're actually forcing kids to recite it word for word, which is illegal regardless, it's not necessarily infringing on anyone's rights.  Most kids will just screw around during the pledge if left alone.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts
That's a good point about choosing battles carefully. Yes. I think I agree.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I agree about the battles. But it does say his presence was "required." So he didn't simply have the choice not to go. Where do the boyfuckersscouts get off having children's presence "required" in a public school?
:fi_lone_ranger:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Something about this story doesn't sound right. The BSA has nothing to do with public schools. What is the relationship here that they could "Require" anything? Sounds fishy to me. :icon_frown:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts
I don't think the BSA itself was requiring this, I think the school was requiring the kids to participate in a presentation by the BSA.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Ah! I see. Yes I think choosing battles more carefully is called for here. This one seems a bit petty to get your shorts bunched up over. :snork_shok:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users