Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Runoff Election for Sale

- - - - - election governor plutocracy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

We have a runoff election for governor tomorrow. It may or may not mean something that the surviving candidates are the same two candidates who support marriage equality. (Our congressional delegate-elect, who trounced the competition, also supports marriage equality.)

One of the candidates has been flooding the territory with ads since August. I cannot login to the Internet without seeing at least one of his ads staring me in the face. One of the Web sites I visit regularly once served FOUR (4) of his ads on the page at the same time. He even paid for a sticker on the front page of the election guide published by the local daily! I have gotten the sense that he is trying to buy the election, and my suspicions were semi-confirmed the other day when someone told me about his campaign debt. How many favors is he going to owe?

In my opinion, the single biggest cancer on the American system is the de facto buying of elections and selling of votes. America is a plutocracy posing as a democratic republic. I am not as informed on the issues as I would like to be, but I am having this visceral prejudice against a candidate who is trying to buy me off.

Unfortunately, judging from the polls, all that spending seems to be paying off. After all, billionaires and multinationals wouldn’t be spending money on elections if it didn’t work.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I agree that our government is concerned first and foremost about our government, then corporate sponsors.

And it is distressing that saturation advertising does swing voters, it does mean elections can be purchased.

Lots of Catholic and Mor[m]on money was crucial to the late Proposition H8.  Their scary ads about kids being taught gay marriage in grade school were the deciding strategic move IMHO.

What if political advertisements had to be funded by a pool of all money donated to each candidate, sort of like tips in a restaurant?

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

The candidate with the most money won. See, we're ready to join the union! We behave just like a state!

I haven't seen any of his ads on the Web since about 2 hours after the polls closed, so I hope they're gone for good.

I am eager to see where he's going to get the money for all these wonderful projects he has planned. He has complained that we haven't built a new hotel in the territory in decades. (Like building a new hotel will some how magically fill all our existing empty hotel rooms?) I have a bit of trepidation over what favors he owes for all those campaign contributions.

At least he's not a Rethuglican.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

He has complained that we haven't built a new hotel in the territory in decades.

I remember a couple of big campaigns like that in South Australia.

Chowilla or Die: As the driest state in the driest continent we needed a new dam at Chowilla and if we didn't elect a government in favour of the dam we would all die. Three months after the election: "You know what? Chowilla is not as important as we thought. Let's not waste any money on it."

Monarto or Perish: Adelaide was becoming over-populated and the only thing to do was build another city at Monarto. If we didn't elect a government in favour of decentralization we would all perish. After the election: "You know what? Monarto is not as important as we thought. Let's not waste any money on it."

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

It's important to have threats and dire peril in order to be the guy that can save us.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: election, governor, plutocracy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users