Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Francis the Talking Pope Shows His Catholic Side

- - - - - blame the victim Charlie Hebdo FtTP Pope Francis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Francis spoke about the Paris terror attacks while en route to the Philippines, defending free speech as not only a fundamental human right but a duty to speak one's mind for the sake of the common good.

But he said there were limits.

[...]

"If my good friend Dr. Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said half-jokingly, throwing a mock punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others."

Let’s apply this logic to rape victims whose skirts were too short, or Saudi women who revealed too much ankle.

"You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

So you can criticize any idea you want, so long as it’s not religion?

His pretend punch aside, Francis by no means said the violent attack on Charlie Hebdo was justified. Quite the opposite: He said such horrific violence in God's name couldn't be justified and was an "aberration." But he said a reaction of some sort was to be expected.

When should one “expect” violence, and when is it an “aberration”?

Source.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

When should one “expect” violence, and when is it an “aberration”?

In the Central African Republic it's an aberration when the Muslim Seleka are killing Christians.

It's an expected reaction when the Christian anti-balaka are killing Muslims.

http://time.com/3640...-balaka-seleka/

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,706 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I think Joe Bloe is onto something there.  Violence is when it hurts a religionists feelings, expected reaction is when they get so frustrated they resort to violence because Jesus.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blame the victim, Charlie Hebdo, FtTP, Pope Francis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users