Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Heart of French Saint on Tour in USA

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,712 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
By FRANK ELTMAN, AP
MERRICK, N.Y. (Oct. 6) - In life, St. John Vianney was a revered 19th-century French clergyman who was said to be blessed with the ability to read the hearts of worshippers. In death, his own heart has become an object of worship.

Posted Image

For reasons unknown, Vianney's body never decayed after death, and his heart and body have been encased in separate glass reliquaries in France for more than a century.

The heart is being brought to the U.S. for the first time this weekend to help Long Island's Cure of Ars church celebrate its 80th anniversary. Pastors from some of the Roman Catholic parishes around the country that also bear Vianney's name are flying in for the occasion, and thousands of worshippers are expected.

The Rev. Charles Mangano said hosting the relic at his American parish - the first named is Vianney's honor - was a "historical moment for our country, our diocese, our church."

Vianney served in the French village of Ars, where he died in 1859. When his body was exhumed in 1904 because of his pending beatification, it was found intact. Except for one time in 1925, when the heart was taken to Rome for Vianney's canonization, it has never left France.

"It's an actual heart, 3-D, not in any kind of gel or formaldehyde," said Mangano, who first saw the heart last year while on a retreat to Ars. "It's brownish color. When you get really close to it, the center is still pinkish-red. Everything else around it is all like browned with age.

"It's really extraordinary."

After five days of services beginning Saturday, the heart will be taken to a Boston parish before returning to France.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
:snork_hams: :snork_hams: :snork_hams:The Coyote thought I had the Food Channel on for a minute there and started smacking her furry lips!! :snork_hams: :snork_hams:

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
I heard about that on the news, and thought it was disgusting.  It's a piece of dead rotting human flesh!

I have to wonder though, just what happened to his *ahem* other parts.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
It's on the altar of some church in France. Patron Saint of Dieters. Take one look at his old decrepit carcass and you lose your appetite for a week. :snork_lach:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,712 posts
Any stupid idea is OK if it supports the collective delusional state of religious belief.  Or so it would seem.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
How the hell is Pie in the Sky-daddy supposed to resurrect this Vianny fellow without his heart? Or will he just resurrect the heart by itself?

If this heart is in such fine shape, maybe it could be used by someone who needs a heart transplant really badly!

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Oh come on.  The same way he's gonna resurrect everyone else who was eaten by worms and bacteria after their burial!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,712 posts

Oh come on.  The same way he's gonna resurrect everyone else who was eaten by worms and bacteria after their burial!

Yes. In other words, not at all.

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Can we guild the edges of buybulls with depleted uranium yet?

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier

Can we guild the edges of buybulls with depleted uranium yet?

DU: For that Holy Bible glow!

Wrt the heart, well, I was eating dinner. Was. Methinks the dear saint drank so much holy wine that it pickled his insides for posterity. :drunken_smilie1:

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I can feel the warmth, U238.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,712 posts

Methinks the dear saint drank so much holy wine that it pickled his insides for posterity. :drunken_smilie1:

Oh, that might have looked like wine, and it might have smelled like wine, and it might have had the molecular chemistry of wine; but if the super-duper special magic spell was cast while that wine was in a special golden chalice held at a sooper-seekrit angle, then that wine was literally and actually the blood of Jesus H. Christ.

Blood is a good source of iron, and rich in potassium and hemoglobin.  Good catholic priests sometimes drink a pint or two per day.  Anecdotal evidence suggests they prefer the blood of teenage and pre-pubescent children.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh, you mean it ain't gonna happen?  [smilie=damn.gif]

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Methinks the dear saint drank so much holy wine that it pickled his insides for posterity. :drunken_smilie1:

Blood is a good source of iron, and rich in potassium and hemoglobin.  Good catholic priests sometimes drink a pint or two per day.  Anecdotal evidence suggests they prefer the blood of teenage and pre-pubescent children.

Those damned vampires! Why don't they suck on something besides blood? Oh, wait a minute...

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Resurection aint gonna happen. I'm telling you it's gonna be re-incarnation and I'm coming back as a Lobster!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,712 posts

Resurection aint gonna happen. I'm telling you it's gonna be re-incarnation and I'm coming back as a Lobster!

Hey, that's a clever choice! At least nobody that believes in the God of Abraham will try to eat you.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hey, that's a clever choice! At least nobody that believes in the God of Abraham will try to eat you.

Wanna bet?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,712 posts

Wanna bet?

But, but, but - if The White Coyote comes back as a lobster, and some Jeebustarian tries to eat him, surely their blood shall be upon them!

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Surely, indeed! Their Wholly Babble doesn't keep them from eating pork, so lobsters aren't likely to be avoided. Poor, poor, White Coyote! But then, I doubt we get any choice in the matter of what kind of critter we'll return as, so maybe he'll be OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users