Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Favorite Holy Wars

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Do you have a favorite historical example of the horrors that occur when religious and state functions are merged?

Do you think of the Crusades first when it comes to holy wars?

Are there parallels to modern day events in the history of religion and war?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
The various inquisitions seem like the worst nightmares the human mind can conjure up. Nothing I've ever read about has equaled the horror of those evil times, except possibly the Holocaust in Germany. I've read about the torture methods the Church used to extract "confessions" from its victims, and I doubt the Nazis could've come up with anything worse.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
We had quite a lot of fun in the Yookay from the middle of the sixteenth century to the start of the eighteenth, with Catholics and Protestants taking it in turns to burn each other at the stake. There are some fine old houses around here where you can see the Preists Holes, where the Catholic preists would hide when the soldiers came looking for them. Of course the Irish, bless 'em, decided to carry on the quarrel long after everyone else had shaken hands and gone off to the pub (metaphorically.)
:fi_lone_ranger:

devilman

devilman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationBelfast Northern Ireland
I live in Northern Ireland and it is a perfect example of the war of religions! Anyway I often think of the Spanish inquisition, when they turned up at the Myans civilization. The Myans  thought their prophecy had been fulfilled and that their god Quetzacoatal had returned, this was because the appearance of the Spaniards ie. bearded and their garb was alike. They threw a great banquet for the Spaniards and right in the middle of it these so called "Christian" soldiers slaughtered them and melted down all off their gold. Nice people...NOT. This is merely one instance in history, we need look no further than the crusades. Hitler's troops bore badges that said "God be with us" as Hitler considered himself a Christian! He purposely persecuted and killed the Jews because he held them personally responsible for the Death of Christ. Though shalt  not kill should be changed to though shalt not murder as christains have been killing in the name of god all through the ages!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users