Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Threats to Freedom of Speech & Expression

- - - - - Speech Expression Freedom oppression suppression authoritarianism

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

The Economist this week highlighted the situation regarding freedom of speech and expression in the modern world...

http://www.economist...e-grows-tighter

....Islamist intimidation is the most extreme example of a broader, and worrying, trend. From the mosques of Cairo to the classrooms at Yale, all sorts of people and groups are claiming a right not to be offended. This is quite different from believing that people should, in general, be polite. A right not to be offended implies a power to police other people’s speech..

Freedom House, an American think-tank, compiles an annual index of freedom of expression. This “declined to its lowest point in 12 years in 2015, as political, criminal and terrorist forces sought to co-opt or silence the media in their broader struggle for power”. The share of the world’s populace living in countries with a free press fell from 38% in 2005 to 31% in 2015; the share who had to make do with only “partly free” media rose from 28% to 36%. Other watchdogs are similarly glum. Reporters Without Borders’ global index of press freedom has declined by 14% since 2013.

..Europe is full of archaic laws that criminalise certain kinds of political speech. It is a crime to insult the “honour” of the state in nine EU countries; to insult state symbols such as flags in 16; and to say offensive things about government bodies in 13. Libel can be criminal in 23 EU states. Bulgaria, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal all punish it more harshly when it is directed at public officials. Some of these laws are seldom invoked, and France got rid of its law against insulting the head of state in 2013, five years after a protester was arrested for waving a banner that said “Piss off, you jerk” to President Nicolas Sarkozy. (The banner was merely quoting Mr Sarkozy, who had said the same thing to a different protester.)..

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

This is indeed a problem, and it hinges on the imagined right to not be offended.  Laws punishing blasphemy are a subset of this, despite being a victim-less crime.

There should be limits on free speech of course, where harm is done.

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

This is indeed a problem, and it hinges on the imagined right to not be offended.  Laws punishing blasphemy are a subset of this, despite being a victim-less crime.

There should be limits on free speech of course, where harm is done.

That is the case.  The general clause is "incitement to riot".

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

That is the case.  The general clause is "incitement to riot".

Inducing snowflakes to detonate simply by the act of not obeying their religion does not—or should not—constitute incitement to right.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

Then there are incidents like this, where a dipshit like Gianforte assaults a reporter because he had his feelings hurt by a simple question.  And he still won.  I'm guessing this was a planned publicity stunt to secure the support of the Trumpanzees.

Unfortunately, most of the votes had already been cast absentee long before this incident happened.  The only good news is that Gianforte didn't win by as large a margin as Republicans had assumed, despite spending tons of money in an already red state and going up against a political newcomer.  Additionally, this election centered exclusively on local issues, so it can't be used as a gauge of national politics.

If he can't handle a question from a reporter, how's he going to react to tough questions from constituents?  He's a coward through and through, and tries to act tough to compensate for his lack of a spine.  There's really no difference between what he did, and fleeing out the back door.

• Zeff likes this

What do Islamic terrorism and white nationalist terrorism have in common?  Both are supported by Donald Trump.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

He's also a rabid Creationist dumbfuck and he subscribes to the Republican notion that persecuting the poor is holy.  He proudly says Social Security Retirement benefits should not be paid because the Bible makes no mention of retirement.  This fuckface actually said that.

--Lao Tzu

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,517 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

He's also a rabid Creationist dumbfuck and he subscribes to the Republican notion that persecuting the poor is holy.  He proudly says Social Security Retirement benefits should not be paid because the Bible makes no mention of retirement.  This fuckface actually said that.

In Numbers 8:25 there is a law for the Levites which says:

...at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer.

I googled "what does the bible say about retirement" and found the text in a matter of seconds.

• Zeff likes this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

I never heard of forced retirement for the clergy.  If this is for the Levitican priests, it would only matter if the Temple sacrifices were still on.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

What if we gradually lowered the mandatory retirement age for clergy persons until it got down to 3 or 4 years old?

--Lao Tzu

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

I think they may be even more maniacal when young...

Source:
http://www.huffingto..._n_3203833.html

Beneath the stereotypes of preacher’s kids as either goody two-shoes or devilish hellions lies a tense and sometimes taxing reality, the children of clergy say. Studies show that many PK’s, as the lingo goes, struggle with issues of identity, privacy and morality. There’s even a support group, Preacher’s Kids International, dedicated to the “celebration and recovery of those who grew up in the parsonage.”

From 30 secs in....

https://www.youtube....h?v=kttVCbTrDLw

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Forced retirement at four?  That means that the people responsible for interpreting the sacred books would retire, before being old enough to even read them.  Literally.  Four year olds can't read yet.

On the other hand, this is the age when children are still talking to their invisible friends.  That kind of fits.  

I can't imagine going to a four year old, for advice, on anything.  Well, why do people bring their problems to unqualified clergy?  

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

..there are incidents like this, where a dipshit like Gianforte assaults a reporter because he had his feelings hurt by a simple question.  And he still won.  I'm guessing this was a planned publicity stunt to secure the support of the Trumpanzees....

Among our problems seems to be the idea that personalities of politicians count for less than their policies. Ordinarily I would strongly agree, but the principle of 'good things don't come from bad people' should always take precedence over 'policies before personalities'. An egotist, fraudster or almost any criminal should automatically be excluded from consideration for high public office. This is why nobody should have considered Trump a possible candidate for the Republican Party.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Among our problems seems to be the idea that personalities of politicians count for less than their policies. Ordinarily I would strongly agree, but the principle of 'good things don't come from bad people' should always take precedence over 'policies before personalities'. An egotist, fraudster or almost any criminal should automatically be excluded from consideration for high public office. This is why nobody should have considered Trump a possible candidate for the Republican Party.

They voted for the man behind Trump University.  That is some powerful stupid.  

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

Forced retirement at four?  That means that the people responsible for interpreting the sacred books would retire, before being old enough to even read them.  Literally.  Four year olds can't read yet.

in terms of the final effect, it matters little if a 4 year old preacher can't read the Bible if the adults who could read it simply don't. 

I agree, everyone who voted for this tool of destruction has failed their so called democracy.

• Cousin Ricky likes this

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

I think about the most prominent preachers today:  Franklin Graham, Creflo Dollar, Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn -- such a vicious crowd.

There's another one -- exposed by James Randi.  The fake healer........   Peter Popov.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 27 May 2017 - 02:41 PM.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

There's another one -- exposed by James Randi.  The fake healer........   Peter Popov.

Last I heard, he was still raking it in. Exposure means nothing if the suckers have been groomed to disregard contrary evidence.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,517 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Popoff...

I still remember how I cheered when I saw the video describing the way in which he was unmasked.

And I still remember the feeling of utter disappointment when I discovered that he was back in business.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

Popoff...

I still remember how I cheered when I saw the video describing the way in which he was unmasked.

And I still remember the feeling of utter disappointment when I discovered that he was back in business.

Not just him, but also Uri Geller, who was one of the first frauds motherfuckers that James Randi exposed.

Too bad we can't do this to all psychics:

What do Islamic terrorism and white nationalist terrorism have in common?  Both are supported by Donald Trump.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

That was painful to watch.  The Chi fighters did not do well.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speech, Expression, Freedom, oppression, suppression, authoritarianism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users