Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Freedom of Expression or Insulting Islam?

- - - - - Islam freedom of speech

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

https://www.theguard...ogy-luke-carson
He was at a friend's wedding in Kettering, England when he made the video. I gather it was intended for private use only.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

https://www.theguard...ogy-luke-carson
He was at a friend's wedding in Kettering, England when he made the video. I gather it was intended for private use only.

This reminds me of one of my dear departed mother's favorite sayings.  If only I could live up to it :(

"Words of anger never spoken need never be regretted"

As far as rights and laws go, I say he said something stupid that he ought to be permitted to say.

• Cousin Ricky and Zeff like this

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

This reminds me of one of my dear departed mother's favorite sayings.  If only I could live up to it :(

"Words of anger never spoken need never be regretted"

As far as rights and laws go, I say he said something stupid that he ought to be permitted to say.

It was a solid apology.  It should be enough.  It probably won't be.  

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

“Freedom of Expression or Insulting Islam?”

Can I change the “or” to an “and,” and answer “yes”?

Of course, just because one has freedom of expression doesn’t mean all expression is wise. While I myself have harsh words for Islam, Smith’s stunt is too blunt and inappropriate a tool for me to express my disagreements.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

“Freedom of Expression or Insulting Islam?”

Can I change the “or” to an “and,” and answer “yes”?

Of course, just because one has freedom of expression doesn’t mean all expression is wise. While I myself have harsh words for Islam, Smith’s stunt is too blunt and inappropriate a tool for me to express my disagreements.

Then you don't disagree about the message.  Only about the manner in which the message was delivered.      [smilie=happyspin.gif]

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Then you don't disagree about the message.  Only about the manner in which the message was delivered.      [smilie=happyspin.gif]

It's way more than that. The message was too blunt. There are parts of Islam I like, there are some flavors of Islam that are less unsavory than others, and there is the difference between the idea of Islam and the people who follow the idea. Smith's stunt doesn't distinguish.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

When any religion is used to justify any violence you have a case of Religion Fail.  My basis for this assertion is the oft-repeated claim that religions cause people to behave better.  Lacking evidence for that claim, and instead finding only contradictions,  I'm inclined to disagree.

Nearly all religions are subject to this type of failure because they identify non-members as enemies of Sky Monster, from whom the justification for genocide is alleged to flow.

I do not claim that all religions inevitably share this predisposition to harm heathens, but it is far too common.

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

When any religion is used to justify any violence you have a case of Religion Fail.  My basis for this assertion is the oft-repeated claim that religions cause people to behave better.  Lacking evidence for that claim, and instead finding only contradictions,  I'm inclined to disagree.

Nearly all religions are subject to this type of failure because they identify non-members as enemies of Sky Monster, from whom the justification for genocide is alleged to flow.

I do not claim that all religions inevitably share this predisposition to harm heathens, but it is far too common.

This is an area where I'm not at all sure of the facts.  Is it the religion that is to blame?  Or the people who follow that religion?

It is easy enough to read the awful things in the Bible and Koran -- then look at the awful things done by Christians and Muslims.

Then we look at what the Buddhists are doing in Burma.  Maybe it's more complicated than we thought.  The fact is, denouncing hateful scripture feeds into our deepest biases.  I share this.  I despise scripture that is used for evil.  But Buddhism?  Does Buddhism have evil scripture?

To quote Pogo:  "We have met the enemy and they is us."

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

This is an area where I'm not at all sure of the facts.  Is it the religion that is to blame?  Or the people who follow that religion?

Both. Religions should not endorse intolerance and persons should not engage in it.

Each person is responsible for their own actions, and each religion is to blame for its dogma.

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Both. Religions should not endorse intolerance and persons should not engage in it.

Each person is responsible for their own actions, and each religion is to blame for its dogma.

Of course.  Just so.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Islam, freedom of speech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users