Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baking Pies More Often

- - - - - cooking baking gluten-free pie fruit crust

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,424 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

If I want a delicious piece of pie I have one option, make it myself.   Ordinary pies found in restaurants and grocery stores would definitely make me violently ill, they also usually are not vegan.

I'm not the most organized cook.  I use recipes to construct an image in my head then start changing it to suit my needs.

There is a company that makes frozen gluten-free pie crust bottoms, I buy those and sort of punt making the filling and top crust.  I'm also experimenting with different types of fruit.  Yesterday I made a blueberry pie with fresh blueberries from Chile.  I've made apple pie most often, from fresh apples, and also used mango and blackberries.

I hear people badmouthing pie quite often, as if it is junk food.  I think it is not.  The main ingredient in most pies, GF or not, is typically fruit.  Eating fruit is quite good for us.  I suppose one can add too much sugar, but IMHO I don't.  I want the flavor of the fruit to take front stage.  I've been using brown sugar and/or molasses for sweeteners as they include traces of nutrients and a slightly earthy flavor.

My pie crust has a history cluttered with failures.  Wheat flour is naturally more cohesive in a dough than any gluten-free flour, and adding egg makes it more so.  I'm using general purpose GF flour from either Krusteaz or Bob's Red Mill, combined with margarine softened in ice water. I use no egg and obviously no gluten.

I don't recall where I heard this tip, but it's brilliant; put the dough ball between two sheets of wax paper to roll it out.  Your roller stays clean and so does your work surface.  When it is time to separate the wax paper from the crust peel it slowly at nearly a 180 degree angle.

This morning instead of having a nut based energy bar for first breakfast I will certainly be having leftover blueberry pie.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Most pies IMHO have too much sugar. This does not mean that pies are inherently bad; it just means that they should be baked with less damn sugar.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,424 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Most pies IMHO have too much sugar. This does not mean that pies are inherently bad; it just means that they should be baked with less damn sugar.

Agreed.  I'm not diabetic, but my doctor says I'm "pre-diabetic" which seems to mean I'm in the state of not having diabetes.  There is a long term blood glucose test, and a new pseudo-diagnosis called Pre Diabetes.  I'm just barely in that range, but it is better to reduce sugar so I'm doing that.

The ratio of fruit to sugar in my pies favors the fruit by a lot. 

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationCanada

I NEVER add the full called for sugar in any recipe as I just don't like it! Foods do not need that much sweetening, I don't care what any recipe says, & my foods taste just fine!

There is nothing wrong with a good serving of fruit, & pie is a great way to get it.

Store bought pies make my teeth curl, & I have dentures!

• Ungodly likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cooking, baking, gluten-free, pie, fruit, crust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users