Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's virtually impossible to "escape" from religion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

On my last job, when I was still commuting, I ran into a small group of the witnesses on my way into work.  They wanted to know if I would like to come to one of their meetings.

I was in a rare kindly mood.  I didn't want to hurt their feelings.  I tried to explain that I only worked in that neighborhood.  I lived in New York.

They wanted to know if I -- "ever run into any of them" when I was in New York?

I couldn't help myself.  I said -- "Only when I'm driving."

[smilie=giggle.gif]

• Aging Disgracefully likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Religion is everywhere.  It's hard to live with and impossible to destroy.  That leaves making fun of it.

Story of my life?  For nearly all existing religions, we'd be better off without that particular religion.  It is unrealistic to think we will ever be rid of religion completely, we may have to make peace with it - but only for those instances of religion that willingly tolerate peace.

Maybe instead of hoping to eliminate religion we should instead it is inevitable, given the deficiencies of humanity, and instead try to humanize it so that it becomes a boon to mankind instead of an albatross necklace?

Recently I'm becoming less certain about everything I know for sure.

• Cousin Ricky likes this

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Story of my life?  For nearly all existing religions, we'd be better off without that particular religion.  It is unrealistic to think we will ever be rid of religion completely, we may have to make peace with it - but only for those instances of religion that willingly tolerate peace.

Maybe instead of hoping to eliminate religion we should instead it is inevitable, given the deficiencies of humanity, and instead try to humanize it so that it becomes a boon to mankind instead of an albatross necklace?

Recently I'm becoming less certain about everything I know for sure.

Similar debates rage on about crap junk foods -- like Twinkies.  Should they be eliminated?  Or should they be fortified with vitamins so that they will be just a little bit less destructive?  

Vitamin fortification is a lie.  So is finding humanistic values in Sky Daddy.  Some things are just crap.  They will never be good for us.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 09 April 2017 - 08:58 PM.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationThe Grampian Hills

My original bitch, religions is EVERYWHERE and inescapable. Little things just irk me to no end.

At the Docs the other day for my yearly check-up when some sort of emergency cropped up and he had to leave for a very short while in the middle of my visit. "No problem" and I meant it. 

Oh have you ever noticed when you are sitting there waiting for the Doc to arrive and it's a visit when you don't have to take your clothes off, anyway, the Doc knocks on the door before he or she comes in. Why is that?! I was going to call out to him, "Oh just hang on a minute, I'm busy snooping through all the drawers and cupboards in here."

Anyway on the wall of the room was a letter the Doc wrote himself thanking his patients for being on time and if we have to wait a bit for our turn it's  because sometimes he has to take a few more minutes with another patient to hear them out and take care of them. Basically thanking us and asking us to be patient, because one day it could be me needing some extra time. I wholeheartedly agreed with the sentiment, we all need to slow down and relax and wait our turn.

Then he had to go and ruin the warm fuzzy feeling I was having buy signing off with a big thank you and God Bless you all!  As I said, it is impossible to escape!

And we need Twinkies, they last for decades and will be much sought after during the upcoming Apocalypse 

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.” 

Kurt Vonnegut

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

My original bitch, religions is EVERYWHERE and inescapable. Little things just irk me to no end.

At the Docs the other day for my yearly check-up when some sort of emergency cropped up and he had to leave for a very short while in the middle of my visit. "No problem" and I meant it. 

Oh have you ever noticed when you are sitting there waiting for the Doc to arrive and it's a visit when you don't have to take your clothes off, anyway, the Doc knocks on the door before he or she comes in. Why is that?! I was going to call out to him, "Oh just hang on a minute, I'm busy snooping through all the drawers and cupboards in here."

Anyway on the wall of the room was a letter the Doc wrote himself thanking his patients for being on time and if we have to wait a bit for our turn it's  because sometimes he has to take a few more minutes with another patient to hear them out and take care of them. Basically thanking us and asking us to be patient, because one day it could be me needing some extra time. I wholeheartedly agreed with the sentiment, we all need to slow down and relax and wait our turn.

Then he had to go and ruin the warm fuzzy feeling I was having buy signing off with a big thank you and God Bless you all!  As I said, it is impossible to escape!

And we need Twinkies, they last for decades and will be much sought after during the upcoming Apocalypse 

You sound stressed.  Maybe a visit to the Cannabis Church?  Bring your own Twinkies.  Girl Scout cookies are expensive.  Besides, you can tell everybody who asks -- "Of course I went to church".

This thread is about not being able to get away from religion.  If you can't beat them -- come up with something better to do.  

Like the Church of Bacon.  BACON forever!!

Or the Church of Beer.  Something that makes THIS life better.

The Dude abides.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 07 May 2017 - 05:58 AM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

This!

Sigh.  At least we don't get that at Kaiser Permanente, they are very bureaucratically PC, which is good for the most part.  Your doctor should feel embarrassed at having made such a gauche error.   The man is a college graduate.   Really bad form IMHO.

Please make mine Hippeas.

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

This!

Sigh.  At least we don't get that at Kaiser Permanente, they are very bureaucratically PC, which is good for the most part.  Your doctor should feel embarrassed at having made such a gauche error.   The man is a college graduate.   Really bad form IMHO.

Please make mine Hippeas.

You have expensive tastes.  Have you priced fake meat lately?

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationThe Grampian Hills

I like chickpeas, well hummus anyway, love that stuff!

Oh how funny, my fellow Atheist will appreciate the humor......I mean how embarrassing for an Atheist.

In regards to the "God bless" I wasn't surprised, the network clinic is run by the Catholic church, it's a massively big group with many clinics and hospitals all over the state.  And where I live there isn't much of another choice. Luckily they don't discriminate against heathens.

It's Ok by me,  I'll use Catholics if I have to and I also like the LDS people, they house the worlds largest data base for genealogy searches and information and they let you do it for free.  

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.” 

Kurt Vonnegut

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

You have expensive tastes.  

Better to eat well than to spend money on electricity your car used driving to the doctor's office.

Seriously this is a unique product.   It has lots of high quality protein and minimal carbohydrates, plus not a single molecule of fucking sugar (in the vegan cheddar variety I order), plus it has fiber, often missing from snacks.  I've become a competent reader of ingredient lists, and there's that nutrition labeling just begging for a glance.  

The price of this product is high, but by sticking with my practice of buying only single serving snacks, and by recent focus on eating bare naked fruit for snacks, I've just gotten my weight down a bit farther from the border of too much.  I set out to reduce foods high in simple, refined carbohydrates to get my long term glucose levels down away from what my Dr called pre-diabetes last year.  I've been such a well behaved patient she suggested I could take this year off from office visits.

All these atypical behaviors of mine, some out of dire need, are working in my favor.

Have you priced fake meat lately?

Yes,  I'm cutting costs by buying bulk soy protein textured vegetable product.  I've learned several tricks for modifying the texture and flavor, but only the really expensive fake meat that is sold frozen really gets the texture right.  Beyond Meat and Gardein are the market leaders.  Some of Gardein's products are also gluten free, most are not.   Beyond Meat has some gluten-bearing products too, plus the bastards stopped making the meatballs of my dreams.

I can buy a $6 package of GF vegan hot dogs, a $6 small loaf of GF bread and a $3 jar of dill pickle relish and I've got lunch for over a week.  I've also been using beans in stove top meals for protein more often.  Since a can of beans is rarely labeled as GF or vegan they are not too expensive, if it's just beans, salt, and water then it is GF and vegan.

I never said it was easy being me, I just try to do it well.

I like chickpeas, well hummus anyway, love that stuff!

I use chickpeas in curries about once a week, usually with spinach or cauliflower.  I love them.  I must have been 7 when my family farmed me out to my aunt/uncle's house for a few weeks (to get some rest?), my Aunt served a fantastic salad that had chickpeas in it, I'd never seen a chickpea before.  Loved them ever since.  My Aunt (RIP) was great too.

In regards to the "God bless" I wasn't surprised, the network clinic is run by the Catholic church, it's a massively big group with many clinics and hospitals all over the state.  And where I live there isn't much of another choice. Luckily they don't discriminate against heathens.

It's Ok by me,  I'll use Catholics if I have to and I also like the LDS people, they house the worlds largest data base for genealogy searches and information and they let you do it for free.  

It's no coincidence that your local healthcare is owned by HRCC.  Their strategy to end abortions is to buy every hospital and have the hospitals ban abortions.

On the one hand it is admirable that they are providing general healthcare. Atypically it is the Christian thing to do.  Educated Catholic professionals are usually not in denial of science or rabid creationists, they are comfortable with science because HRCC has learned to get out of the road when a truck that says Science is coming.

"It's happening, man, it's really happening."

-- Frank Zappa

--Lao Tzu

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

It's no coincidence that your local healthcare is owned by HRCC.  Their strategy to end abortions is to buy every hospital and have the hospitals ban abortions.

Another downside is that if you end up in a persistent vegetative state, they will waste thousands of dollars, valuable resources, and a much needed hospital bed keeping your corpse alive, when those resources could be used by patients who can actually use them.

P.S. I have yet to meet a Catholic who doesn't want that feeding tube removed if they end up in that situation. They're as rare as American Catholics who spurn contraception.

On the one hand it is admirable that they are providing general healthcare. Atypically it is the Christian thing to do.  Educated Catholic professionals are usually not in denial of science or rabid creationists, they are comfortable with science because HRCC has learned to get out of the road when a truck that says Science is coming.

:-)

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Better to eat well than to spend money on electricity your car used driving to the doctor's office.

Seriously this is a unique product.   It has lots of high quality protein and minimal carbohydrates, plus not a single molecule of fucking sugar (in the vegan cheddar variety I order), plus it has fiber, often missing from snacks.  I've become a competent reader of ingredient lists, and there's that nutrition labeling just begging for a glance.  

The price of this product is high, but by sticking with my practice of buying only single serving snacks, and by recent focus on eating bare naked fruit for snacks, I've just gotten my weight down a bit farther from the border of too much.  I set out to reduce foods high in simple, refined carbohydrates to get my long term glucose levels down away from what my Dr called pre-diabetes last year.  I've been such a well behaved patient she suggested I could take this year off from office visits.

All these atypical behaviors of mine, some out of dire need, are working in my favor.

Yes,  I'm cutting costs by buying bulk soy protein textured vegetable product.  I've learned several tricks for modifying the texture and flavor, but only the really expensive fake meat that is sold frozen really gets the texture right.  Beyond Meat and Gardein are the market leaders.  Some of Gardein's products are also gluten free, most are not.   Beyond Meat has some gluten-bearing products too, plus the bastards stopped making the meatballs of my dreams.

I can buy a $6 package of GF vegan hot dogs, a $6 small loaf of GF bread and a $3 jar of dill pickle relish and I've got lunch for over a week.  I've also been using beans in stove top meals for protein more often.  Since a can of beans is rarely labeled as GF or vegan they are not too expensive, if it's just beans, salt, and water then it is GF and vegan.

I never said it was easy being me, I just try to do it well.

I use chickpeas in curries about once a week, usually with spinach or cauliflower.  I love them.  I must have been 7 when my family farmed me out to my aunt/uncle's house for a few weeks (to get some rest?), my Aunt served a fantastic salad that had chickpeas in it, I'd never seen a chickpea before.  Loved them ever since.  My Aunt (RIP) was great too.

"It's happening, man, it's really happening."

-- Frank Zappa

I have my own issue with the Catholic Church.  It's not abortion.  My issue is Reiki.  A conference of American Catholic Bishops has decided that no Catholic hospital -- or other Catholic agency -- can offer Reiki services or allow Reiki to be practiced on site.  It amounts to a war against Reiki.

I'm persuaded that there are two reasons for this.  

1.  Reiki has Buddhist origins.  They won't allow anything that would validate Buddhism.  Like a healing method that works.

2.  A lot of nuns practice Reiki.  The Church male hierarchy, does not want people going to the nuns for comfort and healing.  It's their own set of issues with women.  Maybe if the nuns committed rape, they would allow it.  

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

I have my own issue with the Catholic Church.  It's not abortion.  My issue is Reiki.  A conference of American Catholic Bishops has decided that no Catholic hospital -- or other Catholic agency -- can offer Reiki services or allow Reiki to be practiced on site.  It amounts to a war against Reiki.

I'm persuaded that there are two reasons for this.  

1.  Reiki has Buddhist origins.  They won't allow anything that would validate Buddhism.  Like a healing method that works.

2.  A lot of nuns practice Reiki.  The Church male hierarchy, does not want people going to the nuns for comfort and healing.  It's their own set of issues with women.  Maybe if the nuns committed rape, they would allow it.  

There's good reason to oppose Reiki, in that it's bullshit faith healing that doesn't work except through the placebo effect.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Reiki

However, this is a case of the Church making the right decision for the wrong reasons.  They just want to promote their own brand of bullshit faith healing.

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

There's good reason to oppose Reiki, in that it's bullshit faith healing that doesn't work except through the placebo effect.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Reiki

However, this is a case of the Church making the right decision for the wrong reasons.  They just want to promote their own brand of bullshit faith healing.

I am well aware of the medical world's disdain for Reiki.  You can find much stronger material at quackwatch.com.  The Journal of the American Medical Association  (JAMA) has also not been kind.  While the claims made for Reiki are frequently over blown, I find it excellent for the relief of pain and stress.  

Back to my point.  It is not the Catholic doctors making war against Reiki over concern for Medical Science.  It's the Bishops.  

Trust me to have some perspective.  My Arthritis doctor is not treating me with Reiki.  Neither is my Opthamologist or my Urologist.  There is a time for Medical Science.  There is a time for nutrition and herbalism.  There is a time for Reiki.  The wisdom is knowing which is which.  Frequently, a blend works best.  My Arthritis doctor has me taking Vitamin D3; garlic pills, tumeric and ginger -- along with standard medical stuff.  I provide the Reiki.  

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users