Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I haven't been here in years

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

It has been quite a few years since I've checked in on this forum.  Since then, I had returned to the JREF forums, now the ISF, under the username Frozenwolf150 in 2013.  I was active there for a couple years, and even managed to win TLA once for a poem mocking Islamophobia.  However, I had to leave in early 2015 because other projects demanded my attention, and because of frequent harassment by atheist-bigots, of all people.  They apparently felt I was too tolerant, and would insult me because I didn't share their prejudice.

This just goes to show how broad and nonspecific the term "atheist" can be, which is why I identify as secular humanist / humanist.  It does not mean you share the same worldview, ideals, or moral philosophy as other atheists.  It does not mean you stand for the same things either.  It's just as broad as if someone were to identify at "theist" which could mean just about anything.  I have long stood for religious tolerance, freedom, and education, without which I could not hold my own beliefs or lack thereof.  I think for myself and allow others the freedom to do the same.

I had planned on staying out of the online skeptic community for a while because I found myself spending undue amounts of time reading and responding to various topics on the ISF.  However, after the events of the past year and a half, and the path my country is heading down now, I simply can't remain silent.  Make no mistake, this election was not a repudiation of the religious right.  Christian evangelicals voted overwhelmingly for Trump because Mike Pence, one of the most extremist and virulently homophobic politicians in the US, was on the ticket.  Hate crimes against Muslims have been on the rise, and the Muslim ban carried out by executive order is a perfect example of irrational religiously motivated hatred.  It looks like the fundamentalists have found their new champion.

I understand that my views are not shared by a lot of other nonbelievers, but that's okay, because people are free to disagree without hatred or violence.  I believe that the best way to combat religious extremism is to work together with peaceful members of various religious communities, to have an open dialogue with them, to educate others, and to show that beneath the labels that may divide us, we're all still human beings who want the same things.  I've had friends of many different religions, and have found that we have more in common than not.

In the time since I've last been here, I've been pursuing my interests of writing, poetry, and art.  I had posted quite a few of my poems on the ISF when I was active there.  I've also delved into political cartoons, for which there have been plenty of material as of late.  I wouldn't mind sharing some here if that's okay.

• Cousin Ricky and Zeff like this

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationCanada

Nice to meet you.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

Nice to meet you. I call myself a Humanist if I call myself anything, well other than an Atheist.

This is a lovely forum and we all hate The Talking Hemorrhoid, I really don't think I am stepping out of line by saying we, even though I have been watching Victoria on PBS, I'm not using the royal "we", well not yet anyway.  We are living in very disturbing times. 

• JadeBlackOlive and Zeff like this

Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,187 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I'm glad to see you back, as your posts are always well thought out by a sharp mind.  I hope all is well.

Do I recall correctly that you are from New Jersey?

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

I'm glad to see you back, as your posts are always well thought out by a sharp mind.  I hope all is well.

Do I recall correctly that you are from New Jersey?

Yes.  My two senators are Booker and Menendez, and I've been sending a lot of emails since the election.  However, I was also disappointed in them a few weeks back after the Senate vote on the amendment for cheaper drugs from Canada failed to pass.  It had been proposed by senators Klobuchar and Sanders, and yes it was more symbolic than legally binding, but 13 Democrats voted against it (and 12 Republicans including Rand Paul and Ted Cruz voted for it) but both of my senators voted it down for no reason whatsoever.  Booker claimed it was because the amendment didn't include a provision for drug safety, despite the fact that Canada has stricter safety regulations than the US.  Many progressives suspect it's because these Democratic senators have taken special interest money from pharmaceutical companies, many of which are actually based in New Jersey.

I've been in the position of being unable to get the scripts I need because insurance simply decided to stop covering it, so this affects me directly.  So I was quite upset.

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Many progressives suspect it's because these Democratic senators have taken special interest money from pharmaceutical companies, many of which are actually based in New Jersey.

That sounds most plausible to me. With the FDA being run by big pharma insiders, the idea that Canada is more lax is laughable. I also hear (but haven't confirmed) that the Canadian drugs come from the same damn factories as USA drugs. They are gouging us, plain and simple!

Booker was a rising superstar when he was elected, and he's a favorite for the short list in 2020. But he was purchased real easy, and word from some quarters is if the Dems nominate him in 2020, he will suffer the same fate as HRC, and for the same reasons. (And I'm not talking about skin color or genitals.)

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

I voted for Booker in 2013. I also felt betrayed when I found out about his vote, as the price of prescription drugs is an issue that directly affects me. As it stands, I'm very uncertain about how I feel about him now. He and Menendez (who has been investigated for corruption) are still my elected representatives, and I'd rather have them than the candidates the GOP has lined up. Booker has been out there fighting against Trump's cabinet nominees and harmful policies, but at the same time, he was bought so easily. I've already written him expressing my views and my disappointment, but I don't know how much faith I have that he'll redeem himself. I just want to hear an apology from the former Newark Mayor who used to help his neighbors and listen to his people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users