Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saint Blaise

- - - - - Saint Blaise St. Blaise throat

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Today, 3 February, the Roman Catholic Church celebrates the patron saint of wool combers, Saint Blaise of Sebastea. Accordingly, millions of Catholics will line up today to have two crossed candles placed against their throats. Unlit candles, I presume, although with what goes on in the Philippines, one can never be too sure.

Catholics ask the intercession of St. Blaise for their throats because, according to legend, he cured a child choking on a fish bone by mumbling some magic incantation. The reason he is the patron saint of wool combers (and not, say, ENTs) is that he was tortured by defleshing with wool combs before being beheaded. Ah, sweet martyrdom; surely this man skipped purgatory for that. Catholics implore us to choose life while they celebrate death and glorify suffering.

St. Blaise died in A.D. 316, but the exact date appears to be uncertain. Most eastern churches celebrate his feast (i.e., his death) on 11 February instead of 3 February. I don't know how much of the discrepancy is due to the eastern churches using an obsolete calendar.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationThe Grampian Hills

I prefer Saint Blasé. He is the patron saint of not giving a shit. i don't know when he lived or when he died or even what he might have done,   [smilie=giggle.gif]  

Edited by Aging Disgracefully, 03 February 2017 - 08:17 AM.

• Ungodly, Cousin Ricky, Joe Bloe and 1 other like this
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I prefer Saint Blasé. He is the patron saint of not giving a shit. i don't know when he lived or when he died or even what he might have done,   [smilie=giggle.gif]  

Is this real?  If he is real, it must be possible to get a saint's medal with his likeness on it.  I could get into that.      [smilie=happyspin.gif]

Along similar lines, there is the goddess Apathea.  Literally, the personification of Apathy.  She neither rewards nor punishes her followers because she can't be bothered.  My kind of deity.  The humor appeals to me.  When happens when the goddess of Apathy mates with the god of procrastination?  We may never find out.      [smilie=giggle.gif]

There used to be something called The Temple of Apathea on the internet.  One day, it was gone.  I suppose it was too much trouble to keep going.

• Joe Bloe and Aging Disgracefully like this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Is this real?  If he is real, it must be possible to get a saint's medal with his likeness on it.  I could get into that.      [smilie=happyspin.gif]

Along similar lines, there is the goddess Apathea.  Literally, the personification of Apathy.  She neither rewards nor punishes her followers because she can't be bothered.  My kind of deity.  The humor appeals to me.  When happens when the goddess of Apathy mates with the god of procrastination?  We may never find out.      [smilie=giggle.gif]

There used to be something called The Temple of Apathea on the internet.  One day, it was gone.  I suppose it was too much trouble to keep going.

Oh what a hoot!  I'd go search for it anyway, but eh....

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Oh what a hoot!  I'd go search for it anyway, but eh....

If I had to pick out a god to worship, she would be Apathea.  The goddess who personifies Apathy.  At least, I would really know why my deity was ignoring me.  It makes perfect sense.  Besides, she would stay out of my life.  Her worship services would be easy.  We call it "taking a nap."

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Well you are already a Minister for the Apathetic Agnostic Church.

I'd have to pick Apathea too, it makes it easier if nether one of you cares.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Well you are already a Minister for the Apathetic Agnostic Church.

I'd have to pick Apathea too, it makes it easier if nether one of you cares.

Good point.  I'm already an Apatheist minister.  Not that SHE cares.  On reflection, neither do I.      [smilie=giggle.gif]

Speaking of which -- I still think being an Agnostic minister is funny.  I'm finding that the humor of being an Atheist minister is really wearing thin.  When i can be bothered, I'm going to drop that bit of silliness from my Facebook page.  When I can be bothered.  I really am an Apatheist.

Apathea could never be accused of being a jealous god.  That makes her morally superior to Yhvh.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 08 April 2017 - 07:29 AM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,424 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Her worship services would be easy.  We call it "taking a nap."

Now there is a religion that matches my Lifestyle Choice.

If we pronounce Saint Blasé as if it were St Blaze it's easy to think of a way to memorialize her or him.

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Now there is a religion that matches my Lifestyle Choice.

If we pronounce Saint Blasé as if it were St Blaze it's easy to think of a way to memorialize her or him.

Oh yeah I can think of a few ways.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Oh yeah I can think of a few ways.

If we do a symbolic reading -- instead of a literal reading -- even Mosses found the Devin when he encountered  a burning bush.      [smilie=happydance.gif]

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users