Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

View New Content

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

In the past when I clicked on "View New Content" the list contained every new post since my last visit.

Starting about five days ago the list contained only a very small percentage of the new posts.

I now have to separately open each forum subject (Why I Don't Believe ... About Science ... Religion Today ... etc) in order to find new posts.

I've cleared my cookies and cache, and I've logged out and back in again several times.

Is it just me?

Added later:

I've just remembered that updating Firefox occasionally causes problems like this on some sites - no idea why (and it's usually just one minor problem per site) - but it can be fixed by deleting the old bookmark and saving a new one.

Well I updated Firefox about five days ago, so I've changed the "Ain't No God" bookmark and with a bit of luck I'll be back in business.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Not very computer savvy, no idea.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,703 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I have not seen this, and I use several devices to login. The steps you have already taken are what I would have suggested.

Let's see how it goes.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

People who join AtheismUK.....
http://www.atheismuk.com/forum/
will see a prominent bar reading "show new topics since your last visit". It's bliss.

I have clicked 'follow' on some threads and sub-forums on Aintnogod and not on others. I've completely lost track of what I'm tracking! What works for me is looking at the 'Recent Blog Entries' and 'Recent Topics' lists on the right hand side of the home page. I probably miss some things though. 

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

It's working for me and I always just click on View New Content and see all the posts since I've been on here.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

'View New Content' doesn't always work for me. For example: I would have missed 'All Flee at Once' and 'St Blaise'.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

Maybe I should take a better look around then. I could be missing something and not even know it. But of course if I don't know it, then I can't miss it, because I don't know it's  there. If I knew it was there and then couldn't find it, then I would miss it.

• RIP Joe Bloe likes this
When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

'View New Content' doesn't always work for me. For example: I would have missed 'All Flee at Once' and 'St Blaise'.

So it's not just me then. That's always good to know when trying to solve a problem like this.

I've already tried the standard fixes, but "View New Content" is still not working properly.

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

So it's not just me then. ..

Keep in mind that my problem may be mental and not technical, phtang!! 

• RIP Joe Bloe likes this

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

I've still got the same problem. Usually less than half the new posts are listed in the "View New Content" section.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,703 posts

Sorry this is happening to you, Joe Bloe.  This procedure has helped me resolve this kind of problem in the past:

1. For each Forum giving trouble, or one by one for each forum, enter that forum so you see the list of topics.
  2. Read any messages you need to catch up on
  3. Then, while still in that forum, select the checkmark above the list of topics that says "Mark this forum as read"
  4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for every forum where you fail to see new content listed by View New Content

You won't know if it worked until your next visit, of course, but please reply if this fails and we'll pursue it further.

The procedure above hopefully forces your cookie to match the record for you in each forum in the database.

If this fails to fix it I'd like to know if you still see trouble using a different web browser.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

I haven't been able to post any pics from my files for awhile so will try again.........

Nope, didn't work......

Edited by JadeBlackOlive, 15 February 2017 - 03:58 PM.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,703 posts

I haven't been able to post any pics from my files for awhile so will try again.........

Nope, didn't work......

resist-tweety-mcthinskin.jpg

This video was made while attaching an image.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

I know how to do it, & I used to do it, but it doesn't work now.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,703 posts

I know how to do it, & I used to do it, but it doesn't work now.

Can you be more specific?  What part goes wrong?

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

I browse my files, choose which one, ''attach this file'', & hit add reply.

When it posts, there is nothing there.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

Sorry this is happening to you, Joe Bloe.  This procedure has helped me resolve this kind of problem in the past:

1. For each Forum giving trouble, or one by one for each forum, enter that forum so you see the list of topics.
  2. Read any messages you need to catch up on
  3. Then, while still in that forum, select the checkmark above the list of topics that says "Mark this forum as read"
  4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for every forum where you fail to see new content listed by View New Content

You won't know if it worked until your next visit, of course, but please reply if this fails and we'll pursue it further.

The procedure above hopefully forces your cookie to match the record for you in each forum in the database.

If this fails to fix it I'd like to know if you still see trouble using a different web browser.

Followed your advice but the problem remains.

I'm using firefox and don't have any other browsers installed.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,703 posts

Followed your advice but the problem remains.

I'm using firefox and don't have any other browsers installed.

So you use the View New Content link, read any messages it lists, then you discover there are yet unread messages in one or more forum.  Is that all correct?

Do you discover these unread messages exist by clicking on the Forum tab in the navigation bar?

Have you noticed any pattern of which forums have unread messages?

I've refreshed all of the cached content, checked and optimized all of the database tables used by the forum software,  No trouble was found.

I've researched complaints of this type and so far found nothing relevant.

One very long shot is the Follow This Forum option.   When you are in a particular forum just below the View New Content button there is one that should say either Follow This Forum (if you're not already) or Unfollow This Forum.   Ideally each forum would display the Unfollow This Forum option.

Right now I'm at a loss as to how to pursue this further.

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

So you use the View New Content link, read any messages it lists, then you discover there are yet unread messages in one or more forum.  Is that all correct?

Yes.

Do you discover these unread messages exist by clicking on the Forum tab in the navigation bar?

Yes - but usually I click the back arrow to get out of "View New Content" and return to the other forums.

Have you noticed any pattern of which forums have unread messages?

None at all - and I was looking for patterns.

One very long shot is the Follow This Forum option.   When you are in a particular forum just below the View New Content button there is one that should say either Follow This Forum (if you're not already) or Unfollow This Forum.   Ideally each forum would display the Unfollow This Forum option.

All forums are "unfollowed"

Right now I'm at a loss as to how to pursue this further.

OK. Thanks for your help. It's not much a problem for me - but strange that it began so suddenly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users