Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Misleading Headline in Spanish

- - - - - headline misleading police prayer Puerto Rico Spanish workplace

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,709 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Learning Spanish has been a long, slow road for me, but I do make occasional progress. Today, I noticed a rather shocking headline from a Puerto Rican new Web site:

Prohibido orar en horas laborables

That means “Praying prohibited during work hours.”

But then the subheading read:

Superitendente dijo que no se puede usar el horario y las áreas de trabajo para imponer doctrinas religiosas.

And the main illustration was captioned:

La superintendente de la Policía, Michelle Hernández, indicó que no tiene problemas en que, por ejemplo, un oficial ore o lea un fragmento de la Biblia cuando esté en su oficina.

These translate respectively as:

“Superintendent said that one cannot use work hours and work areas to impose religious doctrines.”

and

“The superintendent of police, Michelle Hernández, indicated that she has no problems with, for example, an official praying or reading a Bible passage while in their office.”

Quite a different tone, isn’t it? Almost as if they wish to rile up Puerto Rico’s Catholic majority, counting on that nasty tendency of human nature not to read the actual article. But I’ve learned to spot a misleading headline in at least one foreign language.

Entire article (in Spanish): Primera Hora.

• Zeff likes this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,709 posts

P.S. There is a weighty subcontext here. The police in some Puerto Rican towns actively proselytize on the job, going so far as to set up roadblocks so that they can preach to the motorists. This is not only a violation of the USA's constitution, but of Puerto Rico's constitution as well, which is even more explicit about church/state separation.

• Zeff likes this

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,408 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Clickbait.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,889 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Two misleading headlines I remember from the days before the Internet.

The first one was about a local radio DJ (can't remember his name) who was unexpectedly taken off air. There was much speculation regarding his removal and eventually he was interviewed by a newspaper. The headline read: "Why I Was Sacked". The first sentence read: "I wasn't sacked, I resigned."

The other one involved a radio personality named Dita Cobb. The headline read: "Dita Cobb - Incurable Disease". I was a fan of Dita Cobb and immediately bought a paper; fearing the worst. I though she had been diagnosed with cancer. Turned out she was a diabetic and had been her whole life!

• Ungodly and Zeff like this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,709 posts

One Puerto Rican senator has fallen for the hype, or is counting on his constituents falling for it. He is requesting an investigation into “religious discrimination.”

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

El Nuevo Día (in Spanish).

• Ungodly likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headline, misleading, police, prayer, Puerto Rico, Spanish, workplace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users