Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hebrew Faith And Invisible Wires

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

All of the Abrahamic religions are riddled with dumbassery, but the Jewish faith does not get a lot of press for their eccentricities.   Maybe because they don't try to impose them on goyem?

How about being allowed to carry things in your hands on Sunday because of an invisible wire?

mental_floss

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

All of the Abrahamic religions are riddled with dumbassery, but the Jewish faith does not get a lot of press for their eccentricities.   Maybe because they don't try to impose them on goyem?

How about being allowed to carry things in your hands on Sunday because of an invisible wire?

mental_floss

Not Sunday.  This is Jewish dumbassery.  Friday and Saturday.

• Cousin Ricky likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
Of course, dumb mistake on my part.

--Lao Tzu

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,455 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Instead of stringing the wire around a whole city, just string it around a small circular area in your backyard. Regard the small area within the circle as being outside the Eruv and now the rest of the world is "inside" your private Eruv - so you can carry stuff anywhere on the planet with breaking God's very important laws.

• Cousin Ricky likes this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

Instead of stringing the wire around a whole city, just string it around a small circular area in your backyard. Regard the small area within the circle as being outside the Eruv and now the rest of the world is "inside" your private Eruv - so you can carry stuff anywhere on the planet with breaking God's very important laws.

You could hang the wire upside down to invert its selection mode, I reckon.

But you must stay out of your backyard.  That is a gigantic improvement :-)

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

I strongly suggest not arguing with Talmudic reasoning.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

I strongly suggest not arguing with Talmudic reasoning.

That which is immune to arguments is not reasoning.

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Talmudic scholars are prepared to argue anything.  Go ahead and argue with them if it pleases you.  You won't like it.  A trained Talmudist can turn reason inside out -- in ways even a Jesuit can't do.  

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,455 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Talmudic scholars are prepared to argue anything.  Go ahead and argue with them if it pleases you.  You won't like it.  A trained Talmudist can turn reason inside out -- in ways even a Jesuit can't do.  

What happens when Talmudic scholars hold opposing views? :)

• Ungodly likes this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

What happens when Talmudic scholars hold opposing views? :-)

Caution!   Mixing dogma and anti-dogma can be as dangerous as mixing matter and anti-matter.  

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

What happens when Talmudic scholars hold opposing views? :-)

They argue.  It's part of the process.  Like dragging a knife blade against a wet stone.  Their wits get sharper.

It's safe enough to argue with them.  Just not enjoyable.  Sort of like arguing with a hyper intelligent Jehovah's Witness.  Not my idea of fun.

Well, it can be.  On my last job I ran into a bunch of them on my way to work.  When I was invited to one of their meetings, I tried to be nice.  I told him that I didn't live there.  I only worked there.  He asked me if I ever ran into any of them.  I couldn't help myself.  I told him -- "Only when I'm driving.".

Edited by jonathanlobl, 12 February 2017 - 07:32 AM.

• Joe Bloe likes this

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

This is one of those things I consider objectively harmless.  A dispute broke out over an eruv in my hometown and in the town where I attend university, and it's a stupid thing to get upset over.

http://www.northjers...tale/507868001/

My town has always been a very diverse and tolerant community, with immigrant families from all over the world, and people from different cultural backgrounds living together.  There's a large Jewish population in this county, approximately 25%, and that includes every denomination from Orthodox, the most conservative, to Reform, the most liberal.  This cultural diversity is the reason why door-to-door Christian evangelists have to accept, "No thanks," for an answer and not press the matter when they show up, because there's a very good chance they'll run into a non-Christian family.

To hear some of the reasons people had for opposing the eruv made me sick.  From the article:

'I don't want them in my town. I don't want to see them when I walk outside. I don't want to breathe the same air they breathe.'

Seriously?  We're talking about nearly invisible plastic clips on existing telephone poles.  The only way to notice them is if you actively go out looking for them, and most people don't even know or care about them.  For the past 14 years I've been researching and debating issues of religious extremism and abuse, and this does not qualify.  The Orthodox Jews are not knocking on doors attempting to force their beliefs down the throats of others, because Judaism doesn't evangelize.  They're not trying to change secular laws based on their beliefs to impose their morality on society.  The only time their religious activities are even noticeable in public is on Saturdays when they're walking home from temple because they don't drive on the Sabbath, and every citizen has a right to go for a walk on public sidewalks and roads.

Does it affect the way I live my life day to day?  Does it harm anybody?  Does it deprive anyone of their rights?  Hell no.

If you want to talk about stupid religious laws that were written into secular law and imposed on the public, I say get rid of the asinine Blue Laws.  If you want to stop religious institutions from forcing their backwards and dangerous beliefs on society, then contact your elected representatives and tell them to stop the Republicans from slashing funding to Planned Parenthood.  If you want to prevent religiously motivated bigotry from violating the human rights of others, then stand up against Trump's Muslim Ban and kick out any asshole politicians who support it.

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Reform Judaism is not the most "liberal" form of Judaism.  There is also Humanistic Judaism.  The foundation book for Humanistic Judaism is -- "Judaism beyond God".  Yes.  A form of Institutional religion for Atheists.  It's not a joke.  They're serious.  As a religious body, they have outgrown God.  

Edited by jonathanlobl, 31 July 2017 - 09:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users