Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's Starting To Get Exciting...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,455 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Looks like Trump is heading back to the good old days of the 1950s.

Highlights of the day for U.S. President Donald Trump's administration on Thursday:

NUCLEAR WEAPONS

Trump says he wants to build up the U.S. nuclear arsenal to ensure it is at the "top of the pack,"

saying the United States has fallen behind in its atomic weapons capacity.

http://www.reuters.c...SKBN16221B?il=0

The kiddies will really enjoy their "duck and cover" exercises.

• JadeBlackOlive and Zeff like this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

How comforting!

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

The kiddies now have the Internet. They can find out that, with duck and cover, they will be pummeled with bricks blown at them by the blast wave before being vaporized, instead of merely being instantly vaporized.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,455 posts

The kiddies now have the Internet. They can find out that, with duck and cover, they will be pummeled with bricks blown at them by the blast wave before being vaporized, instead of merely being instantly vaporized.

Many years ago Peter Cook had some advice for anyone caught up in a nuclear attack:

The first golden rule to remember is to be out of the area where the attack is about to occur.

Get right out of that area because that's the danger area; where the bombs are dropping...

(Beyond The Fringe, 1960)

• Ungodly, JadeBlackOlive and Zeff like this

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

There really is no need to accumulate more reasons to get rid of our Orange Snowflake.  Sure, this is another good reason, but we already had 500% of enough.

• Aging Disgracefully and JadeBlackOlive like this

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationThe Grampian Hills

Looks like Trump is heading back to the good old days of the 1950s.

Oh man I remember those days so vividly. I'll never forget one of the meanest nastiest class bullies..Ron Moller, if he is still alive....Yes Ronnie I am outing you as a big namby pamby...anyway Ronnie ran home crying because he thought we were all going to die!

• Ungodly, Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this
“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.” 

Kurt Vonnegut

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Yes, we're all going to die, Ronnie. The only question is when.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,455 posts

The excitement continues:

The White House excluded several major U.S. news organizations, including

some it has criticized, from an off-camera briefing held by the White House

press secretary on Friday.

Reporters for CNN, The New York Times, Politico, The Los Angeles Times and

BuzzFeed were not allowed into the session in the office of press secretary

Sean Spicer.

http://www.reuters.c...a-idUSKBN1632JG

Has that ever happened before - the White House holds a press conference but deliberately bans specific news agencies from attending?

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationThe Grampian Hills

I don't know for sure, so in keeping with the new normal I'll just make some shit up. I do know Nixon didn't like the press, but I don't remember banning them as one of his many misguided (?) actions.

I think it's more in keeping with a Nazi Agenda.

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.” 

Kurt Vonnegut

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

The excitement continues:

Has that ever happened before - the White House holds a press conference but deliberately bans specific news agencies from attending?

Barack Obama banned the False News Network briefly, but the practice of batch banning every famous liberal organ is new.

He may not be breaking any laws, but the publishers who provide news to tens of millions of people now like Tweety even less.

If a being who lives on food should not bite the hand that feeds it, how should a being that lives on good press treat the press?

--Lao Tzu

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

We had a Prime Minister once who wasn't anywhere near what that ''thing'' is in the US, & he got booted after 6 months in office!!!!

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,455 posts

US President Donald Trump has said he is seeking a "historic increase" in

military spending of more than 9 per cent to be funded by cuts elsewhere

in government.

Mr Trump will seek to boost Pentagon spending by $US54 billion in his first

budget proposal and slash the same amount from non-defence spending,

including a large reduction in foreign aid, a White House budget official said.

http://www.abc.net.a...pending/8309134

That should buy him some powerful yes-men.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wudduh guy!

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

As a man who prepares to fight fires becomes a firefighter, so too a man who prepares to fight wars becomes a warmonger.

Just sayin'.  

I think the NeoCon-Evangelical-Know-Nothing enemy du jour is Iran.  Maybe US Intelligence agencies will be discovered to have been concealing the fact that Iran has WMD.  Two birds, one stone.

It's not as if even an idiot like Tweety could come up with an excuse for a war that would not thrill the never-peace loving peoples of USAmerica.

Tweety makes the easily falsifiable claim, then the muggles buy it.

--Lao Tzu

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

A retro-1950s culture eager to provoke a nuclear war?  This is how Fallout got started!

• Joe Bloe likes this

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,455 posts

I've just been listening to some of the songs that were recorded (mostly by hillbilly singers) during the

Cold War, and it seems there is nothing to worry about because nuclear weapons are a gift from God.

Check out these lyrics:

Atomic Power

The Buchanan Brothers (1946)

Oh this world is at a tremble with its strength and mighty power
They're sending up to heaven to get the brimstone fire
Take warning my dear brother, be careful how you plan
You're working with the power of God's own holy hand

Atomic power, atomic power
Was given by the mighty hand of God
Atomic power, atomic power
It was given by the mighty hand of God

Great Atomic Power

The Louvin Brothers (1952)

Are you (are you) ready
For the great atomic power?
Will you rise and meet your Savior in the air?
Will you shout or will you cry
When the fire rains from on high?
Are you ready for the great atomic power?

There is one way to escape it
Be prepared to meet the Lord
Give your heart and soul to Jesus
He will be your shielding sword
He will surely stay beside you
And you'll never taste of death
For your soul will fly to safety
And eternal peace and rest

But not everybody agreed with the Louvin Brothers when they said that Jesus would save us.

Fred Kirby said we're going down in flames - and it's own own damn fault !

When That Hell Bomb Falls

Fred Kirby [1950]

Won't you listen my dear brother
For it's time for us to gather
God is getting' mighty angry
For the sinful things we've done
He gave us all this blessed land
And this I cannot understand
A weapon of destruction
To destroy us everyone

When that Hell bomb falls
There'll be screaming, dying, praying

But I like this one most of all; just for the title alone:

Jesus Hits Like An Atom Bomb

Lowell Blanchard and the Valley Trio [1950]

Everybody's worried 'bout the atomic bomb
But nobody's worried 'bout the day my Lord will come
When he'll hit, great God almighty, like an atom bomb
When he comes, when he comes

There are dozens of similar Cold War songs listed at the link below and nearly all of them can be

downloaded from You Tube. Be warned, however, that they are mostly 1950s hillbilly songs, so not

to everyone's taste. (As for me, I love them.)

http://www.atomicpla...c_table_100.php

• Zeff likes this

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

Corvega! Hah.

--Lao Tzu

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

In the UK, nuclear arms were questioned on the grounds that many military, naval and air senior officers argued that the money would be better spent after the cold war on conventional forces. Politicians and much of humanity seem to see nuclear weapons as the entry card to a sort of 'power club'. This makes them look even more desirable to authoritarians and 'tin-pot' countries.

MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) didn't work in 1914; it worked by chance, just about, in the Cuban Missile Crisis (imagine Trump vs Putin!) And I suggest it (MAD) doesn't work.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

Nuclear weapons should not exist.  Creating a nuclear weapon is a breach of morality IMHO.  I'm firm on that position having already given it a great deal of thought.

Clothes hangars alone may have reason to be glad that nukes exist.  Thanks to nuclear weapons clothes hangars are not the most evil device ever created by man.  I'll tolerate clothes hangars though, they do have redeeming traits.   Nukes - no excuse at all.  

I'm not very fond of bombs, bombers, or any other tools of war either, but nukes are a special case.

--Lao Tzu

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

This is one thing I disagree with many liberals on, as I think that in a historical retrospective view, the invention of nuclear weapons, ironically, ended up saving more lives than they took.  I know this stance makes me an outlier, but there are reasons for it.

http://www.newsweek....-you-safe-78907

First, there are the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the first and only times nuclear weapons were ever used in war.  I'm aware of the reasons why people have condemned these bombings, as nearly everyone does whenever a discussion of WWII comes up.  However, I later realized it's a lot more complicated than the black and white conception most have.  The Japanese front of the war had become increasingly bloody, and Hideki Tojo was more than willing to continue his campaign, as well as the horrific atrocities conducted against Chinese civilians.  When the United States deployed nuclear weapons, it brought a quick end to the war, and likely ended up saving lives on both sides.  Yes, Hiroshima and Nagasaki contained civilian populations, and it's never ethical to intentionally target civilians, but the cities were not arbitrarily chosen.  They were primarily military targets, integral to Japanese industry, and were slated for conventional bombings had nuclear weapons not been used.  Often in war, nations are forced to choose between the less horrible of two horrible options.  The firebombing of Tokyo killed more people than the nuclear bombs did.

A lesser known fact about the war is that Tojo actually murdered more people than the Third Reich.  Everything that happened in German concentration camps happened in Japanese camps that were used for the same exact purpose, and the Rape of Nanking was just a fraction of the democide carried out against the Chinese.  As a reminder, on the German front, the US was in a race with the Nazis to split the atom first, and there are very few people I know who would have objected to dropping an atomic bomb on Hitler and his legions of Nazis during one of their public rallies.

The second major historical event involving nuclear weapons, specifically their proliferation, was the Cold War.  Perspectives differ on whether it was a war of ideas, or a war of nuclear brinkmanship, but now that there's been some historical distance from the end of the Cold War, it's become easier to see how it could have been much worse.  The USA and USSR were never involved in a direct war with each other, because both possessed nuclear weapons and knew what would happen if they launched an invasion on the other's shores.  Instead, the Cold War consisted of a series of smaller skirmishes within nations and territories controlled by either side.  The Cold War lasted from the end of WWII, when both nations had arisen as the world's new superpowers, to the fall of the Soviet Union.  That's a rather long time span, and historians are now realizing that without nuclear deterrence, there would have been nothing discouraging the two nations from firing conventional weapons at each other and killing millions of people.  It's likely that the damage to both would have been catastrophic, the world today would be a much less stable place, and the war would still be ongoing as we speak.  We have enough conventional bombs to destroy the world once over, and ironically, the reason this hasn't happened is thanks to the most destructive weapons ever invented.

Nuclear weapons today remain a contentious issue, and for good reason.  It's almost unthinkable that humankind has invented, stockpiled, and at one time used doomsday weapons capable of wiping millions of people from existence in the blink of an eye.  There is the threat of rogue nations or terrorist organizations not tied directly to a single nation gaining possession of nuclear weapons or their components; if they believe they have nothing to lose and aren't afraid to die, then mutually assured destruction isn't going to work on them.  That said though, there's a reason why this hasn't happened and likely will not happen.  Every terrorist still has a homeland that they care about and loved ones they believe they're protecting.  Every dictator, no matter how insane or unpredictable they may seem, still cares about their people and their nation.  We thought Saddam Hussein was unhinged and chaotic, since he used chemical weapons on his own people and threatened to do so against US troops, however when we threatened him with our own weapons of mass destruction, he decided he'd rather keep his ass intact and got sane real fast.

The fact that no nation is truly safe from a nuclear strike, and that human beings are frail and vulnerable, is scary.  Yet this is precisely the fact that even the worst dictators on Earth are keenly aware of.  They may pretend they're invulnerable and all powerful, but a nuclear weapon will do the same thing to them as to one of the commoners they oppress.  They are not gods, they are mortal, and there are things they care about and fear just like everyone else.  This is why dictators boast and show off their military, why they build grand monuments to overcompensate, and why they try to create the illusion of strength through force.  They are cowards, and have the most to lose.

Again, I know very few people will agree with me, but one thing in particular changed my mind on this issue.  In Japan, since the end of WWII, there has been a historical revisionist movement going on that insists Japan was the innocent victim; it got attacked with doomsday weapons and had done nothing wrong.  It's very similar to Holocaust denial, except it's more widespread, with some scholars trying to get all references to Japanese atrocities stricken from history textbooks.  The reason this has happened is likely that the Japanese war criminals were never punished after the war, unlike the Nazi war criminals at Nuremberg.  There are some Japanese scholars who are pushing back against the deniers, but the cultural attitude is very deeply rooted.  There are myriad stories (anime, manga, video games) with a post-apocalyptic theme based on this idea that Japan was the victim, where the horrors of nuclear weapons are hammered home, yet there's absolutely no mention of the things Japan itself did to other nations.  Whether intentional or not, I can't help but see shades of the historical revisionism in this cultural attitude.  My own family is of Chinese ancestry, so there's a personal reason why I get offended by this, even though by and large I'm actually a huge fan of Japanese culture.  I support the scholars and historians brave enough to fight for the truth, and my favorite stories are the ones that have an anti-war theme in general.

War itself is the problem, not the weapons used to fight it.  If humanity fought fewer wars, then the weapons and technology of the time would be a moot point.  Fortunately, this seems to be the trend.

https://www.newscien...lent-than-ever/

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users