Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Secular Children Fare Better

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationCanada

http://freethinker.c...cular-families/

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Someone commented "Hardly surprising" and I agree.

While some people have no religion because their birth family had no religion, there are others who have considered the matter after being indoctrinated as children with religious delusions.  These folks belong to the arbitrary set "People who have thought seriously about religion".   As such they must necessarily belong to the set "People who have thought seriously about stuff".

I submit that folks in the set 'people who have thought seriously about stuff' are more likely to be successful parents, because they are likely to have thought seriously about parenting.

What happens is that folks who never question what they were taught perpetuate the errors of their ancestors by failing to consider the possibility they are wrong.  Failing to consider the facts of any matter is highly likely to reduce the quality of any results.

So, the portion of people with no religion who got there by thinking about it will inevitably improve the quality of life results for the entire group of people with no religious delusions.

The moral of this story is, it is better to think about things than not to think about things.

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

But Zuckerman still put ‘religious’ in scare quotes when referring to the less ethical religious parents. I don’t know whether Professor Bengston had that tone of voice or whether Zuckerman was still stuck in a mindset belied by the findings of the study, but someone still has the idea that religiosity is defined by ethics instead of what a person believes, and no True Scotsman puts sugar in his tea.

An unethical religious person is still a religious person.

• Ungodly and JadeBlackOlive like this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users