Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Jersey Among 38 Impending Gubernatorial Elections

- - - - - new jersey virginia governor election 2017

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

Over the next two years there will be 38 gubernatorial elections, two of which will be taking place this very year: Virginia, and my home state of New Jersey.

I'm particularly worried about the race here, because while I'm glad to finally be rid of the fucking fatass Chris Christie, I sure as hell do not want the state to elect another corporate Democrat who will prove to be just as corrupt as Christie.  Here are the current candidates:

https://en.wikipedia...17#Candidates_2

The current Democratic frontrunner, Phil Murphy, is a former Goldman Sachs executive.  Isn't this exactly what Jon Corzine was criticized for?  Isn't this exactly what is wrong with a number of Trump's cabinet members?  Isn't this exactly the kind of special interest influence progressives do not want to see in our political system any longer?

Sure, the reason he's gotten the most exposure is because he has the most money.  If the state Democrats decide to throw their backing behind Murphy for this reason, because "he can raise the most funds to compete against the Republicans" then they're setting themselves up to lose, just like in the general election last year.  Although I don't see much difference between Republicans and corporate Democrats, and in practice there isn't much difference either.  The establishment Democrats might be 0.4% less corrupt as the saying goes, and they might throw you a bone on civil rights every so often, but they behave almost identically to the Republicans the rest of the time.

I've been looking into the two candidates who are trailing Murphy, but I haven't been able to find out much about them.  John Wisniewski was the head of the Bernie Sanders campaign in NJ in 2016 and the only elected official to support Bernie (Hillary would end up winning the state's primary by 2:1) so I at least know where he stands.  Jim Johnson has a decent record on the issues, and my college is running an internship co-op with his campaign, but I don't know much else about him.  I do think either of them would be preferable to Murphy, I'm just not sure who to support.

I want the candidate who is the least corrupted by corporate money, since that's the only kind of candidate I can really trust when they make promises to the people.

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Sure, the reason he's gotten the most exposure is because he has the most money.  If the state Democrats decide to throw their backing behind Murphy for this reason, because "he can raise the most funds to compete against the Republicans" then they're setting themselves up to lose, just like in the general election last year.

That's all the Democratic leadership has been talking about since the debacle last November. That's all they ever talk about. And they are absolutely clueless that this is the reason the people are pissed off at them. I would go so far as to say that they are willfully ignorant. They fight tooth and nail against anyone who suggests that the party might have better success with ordinary voters if they stopped asking bribes from the very moneyed interests who are screwing ordinary voters.

The Justice Democrats are working to change this. The reaction from the party is,“B-but of course, you’re not going to primary the incumbent Democrats, right? You can’t do that!”

They don’t get it. Fuck yeah, we’re going to primary them. Perhaps you have some prospects in New Jersey.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,187 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I would go so far as to say that they are willfully ignorant. 

Intentional ignorance is the most difficult to overcome.

I wish Bernie would start a new political party.  I think we are way overdue for ditching our current system of choosing the least destructive of two imperialist capitalist warmongers chosen for us by hostile billionaires.

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationUK

...I wish Bernie would start a new political party...

Interesting idea. The UK experience isn't promising though.

A 'blind' questionaire was put to British voters asking them where they stood on issues and the LibDems came out very well indeed. Nick Clegg, their leader at the time won two out of three TV debates, again according to 'polls', but third party candidates in two-party, first-past-the-post (FPTP) systems don't succeed. Isn't the only person to try anything new in the USA in recent decades Ross Perot? And didn't he need to be super-rich? Arguably Trump is the 'new blood' chosen by the US electorate and only his money made voters take him seriously. It even overcame his unpopularity.

ICM/Guardian poll (United Kingdom, 2017)
CONservative 45% (+1)
LABour 26% (-2)
UKIP (One policy independence party)10% (-1)
LibDems 9% (+1)
GReen: 4% (-1)
Source: http://politicalbetting.com/

Edited by Zeff, 20 March 2017 - 10:13 AM.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

That's all the Democratic leadership has been talking about since the debacle last November. That's all they ever talk about. And they are absolutely clueless that this is the reason the people are pissed off at them. I would go so far as to say that they are willfully ignorant. They fight tooth and nail against anyone who suggests that the party might have better success with ordinary voters if they stopped asking bribes from the very moneyed interests who are screwing ordinary voters.

The Justice Democrats are working to change this. The reaction from the party is,“B-but of course, you’re not going to primary the incumbent Democrats, right? You can’t do that!”

They don’t get it. Fuck yeah, we’re going to primary them. Perhaps you have some prospects in New Jersey.

I know about the JD and I posted a link a while ago.  However, I have no idea who they'd be supporting for the NJ Democratic primary.

Intentional ignorance is the most difficult to overcome.

I wish Bernie would start a new political party.  I think we are way overdue for ditching our current system of choosing the least destructive of two imperialist capitalist warmongers chosen for us by hostile billionaires.

Bernie gave his reasons for deciding not to do that.  It costs way too much time and money to form a third party that actually stands a chance of winning any elections.  In the 2016 general elections, the third party candidates like Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, while they may have been well-intentioned, ended up handing the election to Donald Trump the same way Ralph Nader helped Bush win in 2000.  I could not understand the reasoning behind these voters, because allowing someone who is the diametric opposite of your ideals does nothing to help your cause.  As I've said, it would have been far easier to hammer Clinton into shape over the next 4 years than to spend the next 4 years smashing back the mountains of bullshit to come out of a Trump administration.  No, Clinton was far from progressive, and nowhere near an ideal representative of the Democratic Party base, but she would have at least bought us time to find a suitable replacement.

The best option as I see it is a hostile takeover of the Democratic Party.  Any candidates, new or incumbent, who fail the purity test will either have to be hammered into shape or thrown on the scrap heap.

• Cousin Ricky likes this

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

On the topic of New Jersey politics.

When Cory Booker voted against the importation of drugs from Canada, I got angry, so I wrote a polite but firm letter expressing my views and explaining why he was wrong.  However, when I read the opinion article in today's paper written by THIS shit head, I wanted to drive down to his home in East Hanover and punch him in the face repeatedly.

Though first I think I'd have to dislodge his face from the dick of big pharma.  Anyone got a crowbar?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new jersey, virginia, governor, election, 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users