Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The "I'm Smarter than the President" Topic

- - - - - politics president trump dumbass

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

Nuclear power is no longer cost effective when compared to solar power production.  Utilities and/or homeowners need to focus on creating large storage grids to store excess power during the day for use at night.

I think that's where we are headed.

That's currently the biggest obstacle to the implementation of renewable energy sources.  Our power storage technology sucks, and solar and wind are fickle and depend on the weather.  This is why it's all too easy to fall back on fossil fuels, because the chemical energy is already stored up, and you can burn them 24/7.

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

There's another issue I wanted to tackle, and it's a big one.  Specifically, it's $440 billion for fiscal year 2018.  People have been talking about the deficit for longer than any of us have been alive, and no one seems to be able to solve it.  The reason I bring it up is that the Republicans currently in power have been using the deficit as an excuse to cut federal programs, and Trump is salivating over cutting upwards of 66 programs in his proposed budget.  Oh, but we can afford $54 billion for the bloated military-industrial complex, without question.

So how can we solve the federal deficit?  I'll get to that in a minute.

Have you noticed how whenever the US declares war on a problem, it makes that problem ten times worse?  Take the War on Drugs, which was started in 1971, and look at where we are today with the opioid addiction epidemic.  Or take the War on Poverty, which LBJ declared in his State of the Union speech, which cost $22 trillion and has not made a dent in poverty.  Or take the War on Terror, which has cost nearly $4.8 trillion, resulted in an estimated 1.3 million deaths, and has allowed groups like ISIS and Boko Haram to operate freely and carry out attacks.

Clearly, every war on an idea, emotion, or abstract thing greatly multiplies the magnitude of that thing.  This brings me back to the deficit.  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I say it's time the US officially declared a War on Budgets.

The logic is unassailable.  If we declare a War on Budgets, then in 10-20 years, we can project a massive budget surplus.  Therefore, in order to do that, the US should do whatever it can to waste money, and since the conservatives are in power, we should use their definitions and standards of wasteful spending.  Therefore, my proposed War on Budgets will consist of:

* Universal healthcare.  It's clearly unsustainable, and smart people like Ted Cruz said that even if we taxed the top 1% at a rate of 100%, we still wouldn't be able to pay for it.  Providing life saving treatments to the sick and poor is a tremendous waste of money, therefore we should do it.

* Free public college.  Everyone knows how expensive college is nowadays, with tuition having gone up nearly 12-fold over the past 30 years.  If the government were to foot the bill to ensure that college graduates never have to suffer from debt again, it would be a huge waste of money, therefore we should do it.

* Raising the minimum wage to a living wage.  The current federal minimum wage is $7.25, but it costs three times that much to rent a two-bedroom apartment.  It should be $21 if it had actually kept up with inflation over the past several decades.  This would be an enormous waste of money, therefore we should do it.

* A New New Deal with investments in green energy technology.  You know, like how China has planned to invest more than $360 billion in renewables over the next four years.  I think the US can afford to outspend China on green technology, which is likely to be the next major economic boom.  This would be a massive waste of money, therefore we should do it.

For those idiots on the Right who whine that this will mean less funding for the military, don't get your panties in a bunch.  All of these investments will apply to military families and veterans.  If you're a veteran, you should be guaranteed healthcare for life, the way members of Congress are.  You should be allotted free tuition to any public college, because it's not like some states are already doing this.  Also, as I've pointed out before, the US military is already on the front lines of green technology.

I'm sure Paul Ryan would have a stroke if he heard of my proposal and blow a gasket about all the things that are bound to go wrong.  Well, Paulie, I'm counting on it going horribly wrong, so suck it.

• Ungodly, Cousin Ricky and Joe Bloe like this

After people protested, Trump made some changes to his Stop and Frisk policy. Unfortunately it now involves being stabbed to death by a child with a plastic knife.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

I enjoyed reading that post Frozenwolf. I'll follow the links later when I have more time...

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

There's another issue I wanted to tackle, and it's a big one.  Specifically, it's $440 billion for fiscal year 2018.  People have been talking about the deficit for longer than any of us have been alive, and no one seems to be able to solve it.  The reason I bring it up is that the Republicans currently in power have been using the deficit as an excuse to cut federal programs, and Trump is salivating over cutting upwards of 66 programs in his proposed budget.  Oh, but we can afford $54 billion for the bloated military-industrial complex, without question.

So how can we solve the federal deficit?  I'll get to that in a minute.

Have you noticed how whenever the US declares war on a problem, it makes that problem ten times worse?  Take the War on Drugs, which was started in 1971, and look at where we are today with the opioid addiction epidemic.  Or take the War on Poverty, which LBJ declared in his State of the Union speech, which cost $22 trillion and has not made a dent in poverty.  Or take the War on Terror, which has cost nearly $4.8 trillion, resulted in an estimated 1.3 million deaths, and has allowed groups like ISIS and Boko Haram to operate freely and carry out attacks.

Clearly, every war on an idea, emotion, or abstract thing greatly multiplies the magnitude of that thing.  This brings me back to the deficit.  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I say it's time the US officially declared a War on Budgets.

The logic is unassailable.  If we declare a War on Budgets, then in 10-20 years, we can project a massive budget surplus.  Therefore, in order to do that, the US should do whatever it can to waste money, and since the conservatives are in power, we should use their definitions and standards of wasteful spending.  Therefore, my proposed War on Budgets will consist of:

* Universal healthcare.  It's clearly unsustainable, and smart people like Ted Cruz said that even if we taxed the top 1% at a rate of 100%, we still wouldn't be able to pay for it.  Providing life saving treatments to the sick and poor is a tremendous waste of money, therefore we should do it.

* Free public college.  Everyone knows how expensive college is nowadays, with tuition having gone up nearly 12-fold over the past 30 years.  If the government were to foot the bill to ensure that college graduates never have to suffer from debt again, it would be a huge waste of money, therefore we should do it.

* Raising the minimum wage to a living wage.  The current federal minimum wage is $7.25, but it costs three times that much to rent a two-bedroom apartment.  It should be $21 if it had actually kept up with inflation over the past several decades.  This would be an enormous waste of money, therefore we should do it.

* A New New Deal with investments in green energy technology.  You know, like how China has planned to invest more than $360 billion in renewables over the next four years.  I think the US can afford to outspend China on green technology, which is likely to be the next major economic boom.  This would be a massive waste of money, therefore we should do it.

For those idiots on the Right who whine that this will mean less funding for the military, don't get your panties in a bunch.  All of these investments will apply to military families and veterans.  If you're a veteran, you should be guaranteed healthcare for life, the way members of Congress are.  You should be allotted free tuition to any public college, because it's not like some states are already doing this.  Also, as I've pointed out before, the US military is already on the front lines of green technology.

I'm sure Paul Ryan would have a stroke if he heard of my proposal and blow a gasket about all the things that are bound to go wrong.  Well, Paulie, I'm counting on it going horribly wrong, so suck it.

You forgot a few wars:  Cancer, Illiteracy, Aids, Obesity.

This may be the good news in disguise.  Since the advent of His Glorious Orangeness, the inner circles of power have declared war on Secularism.  I'm not clear on what that means, but get ready for a stunning upset victory.  

Edited by jonathanlobl, 19 June 2017 - 01:22 PM.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

You forgot a few wars:  Cancer, Illiteracy, Aids, Obesity.

This may be the good news in disguise.  Since the advent of His Glorious Orangeness, the inner circles of power have declared war on Secularism.  I'm not clear on what that means, but get ready for a stunning upset victory.  

Well, the number of people who identified as non-religious or unaffiliated rose dramatically during George W. Bush, who was the living incarnation of everything wrong with the Religious Right.  Therefore I predict we'll see, not only another increase in the number of non-religious Americans, but also a sharp increase in the number of liberal and reform Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

If you would permit me to reminisce on past religious and philosophical debates, I was recently thinking about a debate I had a long time ago with a creationist.

I said that human behaviors don't come from nowhere, and there's no evidence they were programmed by God.  This came up when he and other fundies were arguing that God is a necessary moral arbiter, and without God there would be no morals.  I said, humans have morals in order to survive, there's a selective advantage to behaving in certain ways.  So he thought he was being so smart by asking, well what about art?  You can't explain that with evolution.  What purpose does art serve, and why do humans do it?

I always remember this idiot, and this particular argument, as a perfect example of someone who has never studied or created art, ever, in their lives.  It's the kind of thing Bill O'Reilly would say, thinking he's found a bulletproof argument that has let him instantly win the debate.  It turns out that just like, "Tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that," well yes there is a rational explanation that people have long been aware of.

Even though I wasn't an artist at the time, I knew why his argument was full of shit.  It's a pretty easy explanation.  What is the purpose of art?  Why would humans evolve to create art?  For clues, look at the very first forms of art that humans created.

All art is a form of communication.  It's a means of sharing and disseminating abstract ideas to others, to convince them of a certain point of view, to influence the way they feel, think, and act.  Most of the time, humans speak to communicate.  Well, literature, poetry, and music are artistic types of speech.  So you can tell when someone has absolutely zero artistic talent, and that's when they assert that art has no useful function, art could not have evolved, or there's no reason for humans to create art.

I have studied literature and art for years because I'm trying to become a better writer.  I know full well the purpose, significance, and importance of art to the entire human race.  Art coordinates and encourages cooperative behavior, which is essential to survival.  In that respect, it's similar to religious beliefs, except that art is not based on a doctrine of discrimination and division.  Art is capable of healing cultural and social wounds, of bringing people together, and of changing people's minds and attitudes.  It makes people who exist in separate cultural spheres aware of each other, of the fact that we're all human beings and we have similar wants and needs, hopes and fears.

Art comes from creativity, and you can't possibly argue that creativity has nothing to do with human survival or the advancement of our civilization.  Everything around you was invented at some point, and invention is impossible without creativity; the same creativity that lets us produce art, literature, music, and poetry.  Anyone who still believes art has no purpose or value should give away all their possessions, because those were all created by people who came up with new ideas.

~~~~~~~~

Why do I bring this up?  As you probably already know, funding for the National Endowment of the Arts is going to be completely eliminated under Trump's proposed budget.  Authoritarian regimes tend to do this, because they want to control all forms of expression and speech, and limit the ways people are allowed to think for themselves.  Also, there is nothing Trump fears more than artists, like myself, using their talents to criticize or mock him.

However, there's another reason entirely why this decision by Trump is incredibly stupid: the war against ISIS.  Even as ISIS is bracing itself for defeat on the military front, the fact remains that it is still winning the propaganda war.  Propaganda is the lifeblood of ISIS, because they are completely dependent on new recruits.  ISIS has already found out that running an actual "state" is difficult because they have to pay for all the infrastructure, which is usually in ruins, and they are quickly running out of funds.  New recruits bring in money and resources, and the hateful rhetoric and idiotic policies of the Trump administration are only going to make it easier.  ISIS already praised the travel ban for this reason.

So what is my proposal?  Simple.  Restore the funding to the NEA and double it, for the express purpose of creating propaganda to counter ISIS.  The US has always used propaganda in wartime, like WWII, and during major social revolutions like the Civil Rights Era.  Right now, what we need is a movement of artists, writers, musicians, and filmmakers to espouse the values and virtues of American culture to the Muslims of the world.  Let them know that the US is a country of immigrants and has always welcomed people from every ethnic background.  Show them that America is a land of opportunity where everyone is treated equally.

Every Muslim we win over is one that ISIS can no longer radicalize.  Hit ISIS where it hurts, and destroy their most powerful weapon, using ideals and values of our own.  Religious extremism has nothing to offer, and is completely helpless without the ability to proselytize.  This is how we're going to win the war against ISIS for good.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,551 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

So what is my proposal?  Simple.  Restore the funding to the NEA and double it, for the express purpose of creating propaganda to counter ISIS.  The US has always used propaganda in wartime, like WWII, and during major social revolutions like the Civil Rights Era.  Right now, what we need is a movement of artists, writers, musicians, and filmmakers to espouse the values and virtues of American culture to the Muslims of the world.  Let them know that the US is a country of immigrants and has always welcomed people from every ethnic background.  Show them that America is a land of opportunity where everyone is treated equally.

Art has always been associated with the struggle for peace.  I second your motion, and I'd like to add more funding for the Voice of America, our national propaganda source.  They actually do some great reporting, comparable to NPR in quality.

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,497 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

So you can tell when someone has absolutely zero artistic talent, and that's when they assert that art has no useful function, art could not have evolved, or there's no reason for humans to create art.

This wouldn't work in the other direction. I've seen plenty of people with no artistic talent who do art anyway. Painful as it may be to behold, though, I think that on balance this is a good thing.

(This is on stark display in karaoke bars, and yes, it can be painful.)

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,551 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

This wouldn't work in the other direction. I've seen plenty of people with no artistic talent who do art anyway. Painful as it may be to behold, though, I think that on balance this is a good thing.

(This is on stark display in karaoke bars, and yes, it can be painful.)

Certainly better than people with no artistic talent being violent :)

• Cousin Ricky likes this

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, president, trump, dumbass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users