Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Server Busy Because of Hotlink From Chinese Basketball Post

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

In my routine daily server maintenance I noticed the CPU utilization was a little higher than usual.  I traced this to an image connected to a sports news story on my California Dolphin website, my most popular site these days.

Someone posting a Chinese language comment about a basketball game linked to a photo of the action that is part of a story on our California news portal.  Perhaps a California team was involved.

Because the other site gets a lot of traffic, requests for this hotlinked image are coming in at about a dozen per second.  It only affects the server just enough to notice in a display of CPU activity, there is no harm involved.  This does illustrate how hotlinking images can impact the host where the file resides.

Here is the popular photo

image_1491239470_74750140.jpg

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

There are ways to prevent hotlinking from the server end. I recall one site that even substituted an image with a lecture about hotlinking when it got a hotlink request.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

There are ways to prevent hotlinking from the server end. 

Oh yes, it's trivial.  But I'm not worried.  We never use anywhere near our allotted bandwidth, we never saturate our network connection, and utilization in top never shows more than 0.xx except during backups.

I recall one site that even substituted an image with a lecture about hotlinking when it got a hotlink request.

That might be me you're recalling. [smilie=blush.gif]   Times change, so do attitudes.  Various spyware/Google software in the PCs and phones of all these vcisitors is recording there hit to California Dolphin.  That raises its page rank.  Which pushes search results for the site higher at The Google.  More hits also increases the value of the site.

It's all good.

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users