Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The UK still struggles to catch up with USA 1799

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Zeff

Zeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationUK

https://www.republic..._1497533550_168
MPs are able to begin their oath however they wish, and some made it clear that their allegiance is to the people:

Labour MP for Leeds East, Richard Burgon, took the affirmation in order to represent his constituents:

"I, Richard Burgon, was elected by the people of Leeds East to represent the interests of the people of Leeds East, and therefore make the following affirmation to enable me to do that..."

In 2015 Richard began his oath with the following statement:

"As someone that believes that the head of state should be elected I make this oath in order to serve my constituents..."

Today Labour MP for North West Durham, Laura Pidcock, took the affirmation to represent the interests of her constituents:

"I, Laura Pidcock, was elected by the people of North West Durham to represent their interests, I therefore take this affirmation in order to do that…"

Labour MP for Derby North, Chris Williamson, called for an elected head of state before taking the oath:

"Like my father before me, I believe in an elected head of state, so I take this oath in order to serve my constituents…"

Labour MP for Newport West, Paul Flynn, took the oath under protest:

"As a republican by conviction, and under protest...I swear by almighty god that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to her majesty…"

After taking the oath, Liberal Democrat MP for Oxford West and Abingdon, Layla Moran, tweeted:

"Today I am sworn in as an MP. A great honour. I have the choice of pledging loyalty to God or the Queen. Would have much preferred 'The People’."

After taking the oath, Labour and Cooperative MP for Leeds North West, Alex Sobel, tweeted:

"I have taken the affirmation and am officially an MP. It’s a shame there's no reference to serving your constituents which needs to be added."

Not all Brits are stupid. We're just collectively slow :-)

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,889 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Interesting post Zeff ... It reminded me of an incident that occurred in June, 2016, when Gordon Klingenschmitt failed to gain a place in the Colorado Senate (he got only 38% of the vote). One of his campaign volunteers, Rheta Blodgett, was not happy with the result. She said she was disappointed because if he had won, "He could go into the government and take a stance and not worry about what people thought."

Obviously not a fan of representative government.

Source: http://gazette.com/g...article/1579209

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users