Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When People Say "I'll pray for you"

- - - - - prayer fail christian muslim intentions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,408 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Often when we are going through a rough time a perfectly well intended friend with religious beliefs might say "I'll pray for you."   At times in my life I've been so down on religion that such an encounter would really bother me.  Fortunately with age we tend to become more laid back, and these days I'm able to appreciate the good intentions of a person with some false ideas.

Granted nothing fails like prayer, that is a basic fact of life.  But expressing an intention to pray for someone in the context above is not meant to be an effective solution to a problem as much as an expression of sympathy.  I think we must allow people to be kind to us and each other, as it propagates more kindness ultimately.

If somebody does something nice for a silly reason they still did something nice.

I wonder how a Christian feels when an acquaintance who is Muslim says "I'll pray for you?"

Isn't it incumbent on all of us to hold the door open to the possibility of just getting along?

There are other cases when "I'll pray for you" can be an insult, for example spoken by a bigot to a gay person they are harassing for Jesus.  Such people are just fuckfaces. 

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

I can't ever in my entire life remember anybody saying they would pray for me in any given situation. Is that odd, never gave it any thought before.

Over the years when in situations where other people are offering up..."I'll pray for you." to somebody, I will chime in with "I'll be sending positive energy your way." or some sort of positive, fuzzy feelings sentiment. I can be extremely sympathetic and hope for the best.

I do genuinely believe in trying to stay positive and it's just as easy to dwell on something good instead of something bad. and when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. And any number of other sundry platitudes.

My husband explained  prayer and praying to me that I could actually understand. Because I am extremely cynical when people are standing around praying to god for help. It seems to be their source of comfort, I still just think it's grasping at invisible straws. But I do suppose if it makes people feel better in times of trauma, stress and death. I guess it's all right for them to hope for miracles. 

Even after saying that, I still don't really understand how anybody who is able to think can believe in a God or actually pray and think it will do some good.

So if anybody ever does say they will "pray for me" in any dire situation or circumstance, I'll just say "thank you" and I hope when you are driving, a big tree doesn't fall on your car, or a big boulder doesn't come rolling down a hill and kill you."

I'm just as nice to religious nutters as I am to anybody else. Even though in my head I might be sayin' ..." you poor sad delusional bastard".

• Ungodly and JadeBlackOlive like this
When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,709 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

The way I see it, when someone says “I’ll pray for you” in the context of my apostasy, it means that they’re not actively proselytizing me, and I’m fine with that!

In other contexts, I can’t let their well-intentioned empty gesture bother me, or I’d go crazy.

• Ungodly, Aging Disgracefully and JadeBlackOlive like this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

The way I see it, when someone says “I’ll pray for you” in the context of my apostasy, it means that they’re not actively proselytizing me, and I’m fine with that!

In other contexts, I can’t let their well-intentioned empty gesture bother me, or I’d go crazy.

That's the key right there, you can't let it bother you.  I have to let it roll off of me like water off a duck's back.  

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationCanada

I don't like it, but I say thanks, & move on. No point in getting into anything.

• Joe Bloe and Aging Disgracefully like this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,889 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

I don't like it, but I say thanks, & move on. No point in getting into anything.

Me too...

Also in Australia people don't often bring up the subject of religion so when they do say something like, "I'll pray for you," it's more of a cliche than anything else.

The one that irks me is when I have declared my atheism and someone says, "Jesus loves you anyway." That always gets me going.

• Aging Disgracefully and JadeBlackOlive like this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I have religious friends.  On occasion, I have told a few of them that I would be thinking friendly thoughts in their direction.  They thanked me.

Prayer?  Sometimes, people with the best intentions, want to say something comforting -- and because of conditioning, this is what comes out.  Alright.  It's silly.  But they meant well.  No need to be mean about it.  

• Aging Disgracefully likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

I have religious friends.  On occasion, I have told a few of them that I would be thinking friendly thoughts in their direction.  They thanked me.

Prayer?  Sometimes, people with the best intentions, want to say something comforting -- and because of conditioning, this is what comes out.  Alright.  It's silly.  But they meant well.  No need to be mean about it.  

Your last sentence is almost exactly what my husband tells me, especially if I go off on a tangent about how useless and utterly nonsensical the entire concept is. Perhaps it's religious peoples way of thinking positive. 

I don't have any religious friends, my small circle of friends and family are all non believers. 

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Your last sentence is almost exactly what my husband tells me, especially if I go off on a tangent about how useless and utterly nonsensical the entire concept is. Perhaps it's religious peoples way of thinking positive. 

I don't have any religious friends, my small circle of friends and family are all non believers. 

I do have religious friends.  I ignore their need for prayer -- and they return the compliment by ignoring my defects.  

• Cousin Ricky and Aging Disgracefully like this

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

I do have religious friends.  I ignore their need for prayer -- and they return the compliment by ignoring my defects.  

I don't go out of my way to not have religious friends, but for some reason I have never been close to any. Because if I do meet a person and then we get to talking about getting older for instance and they complain, but have to add that one good thing is they are that much closer to going to Heaven and being reunited with their loved ones. Ok bye bye now!

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

"I'll pray for you," is a completely empty and meaningless statement.

"I'll help you out," is what people should really be saying and doing.

Actions speak louder than words, and prayer is only useful if it motivates you to do something to improve the lives of others.  I work for a charity; I don't pray for the animals at the rescue, I take action to help them-- I clean up for them, feed them, train them, and give them medication when necessary.  So if a religious person really wanted to show they care about others, they would find out what kind of charity work their church or institution does, and then participate in those activities.

It's rather like how the majority of politicians will spend all their time spouting platitudes and campaign promises, but when they're actually in a position to affect the lives of the people they serve, they either do nothing or they make the problems worse.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

The new Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: Massacre a crowd of civilians, draw a target around them, and declare they were all terrorists.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

If we must react openly to a statement about prayer, we can at least try to avoid hostility.

"Your magic won't help."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prayer, fail, christian, muslim, intentions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users