Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FtTP: No Gluten-Free Communion Hosts for Celiac Sufferers

- - - - - celiac gluten autoimmune low gluten gluten-free HRCC FtTP communion hosts wafer thin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,456 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

His wonderfulness Francis the Talking Pope has said that in order to be officially sanctioned as a slice of actual Jesus, communion hosts must contain at least a tiny bit of gluten.

As a person with celiac disease I am not harmed by this policy, I became an ex-Catholic over fifty years ago.  There are people who suffer from celiac disease and Catholicism (fortunately Catholicism can be cured).  For those folks the Vatican authorizes the use of so-called low gluten hosts, which have less of the protein that sets off the extreme autoimmune reaction that characterizes the disease (celiac, not Catholicism).

Anecdotal reports suggest that the longer a celiac sufferer maintains a gluten-free diet the worse the reaction to accidental ingestion.  My experience is very much consistent.  I have not been hit since July 2014 when I was glutened once in Scotland and once at home.  After 20 years gluten-free I literally thought I was dying in Scotland.  I spent about 45 minutes with alternating and sometimes simultaneous explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting.  Sorry for the dramatically descriptive account, but I want to emphasize what is at stake.

Claims are being made that the amount of gluten in a "low gluten" communion wafer is so slight that celiac sufferers would not react. I call bullshit.

The US FDA has established 20 parts per million as the threshold below which foods may be labelled gluten free.  It is thought that folks with the condition do not typically react until there is 200 parts per million of gluten.  The claim is made that so-called low gluten hosts are under 5 parts per million.  If true it would be legal under US law to call them gluten free.  I still think it is extremely unwise for any person with celiac disease to  knowingly ingest any amount of gluten for any non-medical reason (sometimes doctors order patients undergoing diagnosis to resume eating gluten temporarily in order to do blood tests for a specific immune response seen only in celiac sufferers).

It should be noted that in addition to the immediate signs of a gluten reaction, the patient's immune system is attacking the villi lining the small intestine and damage is being done.  Persistent consumption of gluten by people with celiac disease is known to cause stomach cancer (not me) which killed my mother, who never started a GF diet.

From time to time I do find myself agreeing with FtTP, but not this time.  And of course the irony of a slice of Jesus containing wheat is not lost on me.

My condolences to those simultaneously afflicted with celiac disease and Catholicism.  Let this stimulate a round of critical thinking about the fairy tales you were taught as a child.

(of course if Jesus had superpowers he could transubstantiate a rice wafer into his meat, but, you know, he'd have to exist first)

Pope Francis recently reminded bishops and priests that the wafers Catholics consume as the Body of Christ must contain at least some gluten, a naturally occurring protein in wheat.

Detroit Free Press

Of course my advice to a Catholic with celiac disease would be to skip HRCC altogether.  This surprises nobody.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

There is something both sad and funny, about Christ making people sick.  A natural consequence of letting Christ come inside your  mouth.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,456 posts

A natural consequence of letting Christ come inside your  mouth.

Shall we refer obliquely to gay people when we want to put somebody down?

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Shall we refer obliquely to gay people when we want to put somebody down?

That was not my intention.  I'm sorry it was taken that way.  

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,456 posts

I know that was not your intention, you're an open minded man.  I was not personally offended.

I just wanted to point out that in our culture we still have this thing going on in which references to non-missionary sex are often used as put downs.  The implicit message is that such acts are demeaning to those or one of those involved.

I can't say I never do it, but it's something I think deserves notice.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

I know that was not your intention, you're an open minded man.  I was not personally offended.

I just wanted to point out that in our culture we still have this thing going on in which references to non-missionary sex are often used as put downs.  The implicit message is that such acts are demeaning to those or one of those involved.

I can't say I never do it, but it's something I think deserves notice.

Our culture is problematic.  In the tradition of George Carlin, I think it is a mistake to let the most regressive elements of society set our limits for us.

I am way past "open minded".  I am respectful of difference.  

Like I can't identify with gay men?  I've been a man in love.  What else do I need to know about gay men?  It's natural.  It's normal and I understand.

For that matter, it's not so hard to understand lesbians.  I've been in love with a woman.  What's to understand?  Another woman might want that.  It makes sense to me.

I understand your concerns.  How can we let Christian crap-for-brains dictate our humor?  

Consider:

"Jesus wants to come into your heart."

"Please.  Not even with a condom."  

In essence, how is this different from making a man sick, by Jesus leaving his indigestible goo  in the man's mouth?  Can't you hear Jesus say -- "Don't spit it out.  Swallow."  

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationCanada

Why be concerned about a silly little thing like a person's health?........

• Joe Bloe likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,456 posts
Apparently I was wrong. Dr Fasano is well known worldwide as an expert researcher of celiac disease. He says these low gluten wafers are safe. He is the expert, I'm not, so I stand corrected.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

In other words, these are Homeopathic wafers.  Which is to say, they start with a deadly ingredient -- and dilute the poison to the point where it is safe.

Are we still talking about gluten -- or Jesus?  Maybe both?  

[smilie=giggle.gif]

Hmmm.  Homeopathy.  There will still be people who insist that it is effective.  

[smilie=holyshit.gif]

Edited by jonathanlobl, 26 July 2017 - 05:12 AM.

• Ungodly likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: celiac, gluten, autoimmune, low gluten, gluten-free, HRCC, FtTP, communion, hosts, wafer thin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users