Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Major Denial of Service Attack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Earlier today this server, and thus all of the sites on it, were subjected to another attack of a type we have seen quite frequently over the last month.

Using a MySQL exploit against an installation of phpBB software on one of the guest sites that we host here gratis, an evil person opened up enough simultaneous connections to take down the entire server. For the first time when one of these attacks is mounted, we had a very difficult time locking out the attacker because she or he was consuming virtually all of the server's resources. The server is located several thousand miles away from our home offices.

Once we were finally able to get control of the server back and lock out the attacker, I was faced once again with the dilemma of how to stop the next such attack before the server became compromised again.

I'm of the opinion that the use of phpBB forum software is a factor in these attacks, but my frequent hints to the owner of the site that another forum package might be better have fallen on deaf ears.  And it would hardly do to ask this person to remove the site after having offered to host it here free.

Finally I was able to locate a piece of software that will recognize a DoS attack and automagically ban the mother fucker doing it. It is now installed and working. So the person or persons behind these attacks is now welcome to piss off.

I've had a very grouchy day

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
[smilie=huggles.gif] Smile my friend. We are all in this digital world with you!

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Slept through the whole thing here.

You need one of those saints for protection.  Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts

Slept through the whole thing here.

You need one of those saints for protection.  Posted Image

Ahh, well, my lovely husband is the patron saint of iptables firewalls. It's a geek joke, ma'am, like Nortius Maximus.

Here is a photo of Saint Terry on his blessed Trek carbon fiber bicycle
Posted Image

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Blessed be Saint Terry also the patron Saint of those suffering from sore crotches from biding bicycles with seats shaped like Tomahawks! [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif] [smilie=dunceblock.gif] [smilie=graytard.gif] [smilie=gt_grinz-browwiggle.gi [smilie=giggle.gif]

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I'm of the opinion that the use of phpBB forum software is a factor in these attacks, but my frequent hints to the owner of the site that another forum package might be better have fallen on deaf ears.  And it would hardly do to ask this person to remove the site after having offered to host it here free.

I'm not sure which site you mean, but if the site in question is someone we know, exactly who are you expecting to act on your suggestions?  The main guy is gone for good, the interim guy is all but gone, and now the ship floats on aimlessly without a captain.  The only one reading those hints was me, and I ain't in position to do anything about it.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
[quote author=Ungodly link=topic=133.msg709#msg709 date=1160924028]
[quote author=lady link=topic=133.msg707#msg707 date=1160919376]

Here is a photo of Saint Terry on his blessed Trek carbon fiber bicycle
Posted Image

[/quote]

I looked at all the bicycle pictures.  Are you in any of those, ungodly? I ride my stationary bike 6 miles everyday.  Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts

I'm not sure which site you mean, but if the site in question is someone we know, exactly who are you expecting to act on your suggestions?  The main guy is gone for good, the interim guy is all but gone, and now the ship floats on aimlessly without a captain.  The only one reading those hints was me, and I ain't in position to do anything about it.

Thus my reluctant absence.  I once had a failure of the steering in a Ford Econoline van that I was driving. This was about 38 years ago. Something in the steering column or steering gearbox snapped, allowing the steering wheel to spin freely without affecting the course the vehicle took. I didn't have to concentrate too very long before I realized that bringing the vehicle to a complete stop and getting out of it might be a good idea.  Fortunately for me I was in the parking lot of a repair shop when this happened, and was going maybe 2 miles per hour.

Similarly, for a ship at sea, when the helmsman has abandoned his post, it's time to break out the lifeboats.

So your analysis is completely correct. It became apparent that nobody was going to act on my suggestions, so I acted on them myself instead. For example, you have not noticed any spambots here, nor have you seen lunatic conspiracy nuts hijacking threads.

Problem solved :-)

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts

I looked at all the bicycle pictures.  Are you in any of those, ungodly? I ride my stationary bike 6 miles everyday.  Posted Image

No, I took the photos.

I had to give up cycling because of respiratory problems. I started getting attacks of exercise-induced asthma while I was training for the 2000 CA AIDS Ride. I was really stupid and smoked cigarettes for 30 years.

You can see me here.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

lunatic conspiracy nuts hijacking threads.

Your Global Moderator standing by Captain. Ready to thwart and limit conspiracy theories to one thread or less, SIR! :salut:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

You can see me here.

I like you as a saint best  :snork_lach: Posted Image

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
JESUS CRISTO LADY! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO? NOT BEFORE BREAKFAST! SCARED THE BEJEEBERS OUTA ME! :shock:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

JESUS CRISTO LADY! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO? NOT BEFORE BREAKFAST! SCARED THE BEJEEBERS OUTA ME! :shock:

Well, let's have a look at you then. Posted Image

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Posted Image

I'm the handsome devil wearing the shades.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I'm the handsome devil wearing the shades.

I was just about to ask who the guy was holding you by the choppers!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
I knew you people would be confused as to who was who. That fish by the way was the BIGGEST I caught that day. Only reason he let me catch him was to change his diaper!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users