Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

More Military Escalation - Enough is Enough

- - - - - senate afghanistan military military industrial complex war

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

This greatly upset me for more reasons than one.

http://thehill.com/p...-3000-us-troops

America's longest war just got longer.  Not only did the Senate approve of sending more funding and troops to Afghanistan, they also gave Trump more military spending than he even asked for.  It was bad enough having to think about all the social programs that Trump's proposed $584 BN in military spending could have paid for instead of more war.  Now we get to do that all over again, to the tune of $700 BN.

Just how much money does the US have to spend on imperialism?  How many more wars do we have to fight?  We're currently embroiled in seven military interventions plus a shadow war in Africa.  Trump had already wasted little time proving his willingness to kill innocent civilians including American citizens, launch missiles into Syria, overcompensate for his tiny dick, and potentially drone even more people to death than Obama did.

That $700 BN alone would be enough to provide free public college, or make up the cost difference between single-payer and the current federal expenditures on healthcare.

The most upsetting part of the story was finding out that so many senators, including the majority of Democrats, voted for the bill.

Sens. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) voted against the mammoth bill.

GOP Sens. Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.), as well as Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez (N.J.) missed the vote.

So 3 Republicans including Rand Paul, 4 Democrats including Kirsten Gillibrand, and Bernie Sanders voted against it.  Note however who was not on the list.  Every other Democrat except for the ones listed voted for the bill, including Elizabeth Warren.  The Senate Armed Services Committee, of which she is a member, had already approved of the bill by a vote of 27-0.  This means she voted for the bill twice.

What is a progressive doing voting to pump even more money into the bloated military-industrial complex?  What is a progressive doing ignoring the base that is sick and tired of America being at war?  What is the rationale behind using $700 BN to kill even more people, instead of to help those in need here at home?

I was willing to forgive Warren's past mistakes as political miscalculations, but this?  This is the last straw for me.  I can no longer support her in good conscience.

The new Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: Massacre a crowd of civilians, draw a target around them, and declare they were all terrorists.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationCanada

Its never going to end...........

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I am too emotionally numb, to express my shock and horror.  I'm tapped out.

The Democrats went along?  Spineless, pathetic, quislings.  

I'm sorry.  There's nothing left.  I'm empty.

Well, one more.  Elizabeth Warren voted for it?  Bloody, freaking, crap.  Who's left?  Now what?

Edited by jonathanlobl, 19 September 2017 - 09:33 PM.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,705 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Once you get all that power it is very tempting to try to keep it. Plus those lovely donations from patriotic death kill industry corporations.  Who does not like money and power?

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Once you get all that power it is very tempting to try to keep it. Plus those lovely donations from patriotic death kill industry corporations.  Who does not like money and power?

The awful part -- The really awful part -- we have no objectives.  Nothing to achieve.  Just propping up the Afghan government.

Come now.  The Afghan government is not a government in any real sense of the word.  Nothing but a bunch of incompetent thugs and thieves.  The only reason people have for being in that government, is to control the graft and corruption and patronage.  They have no concept of administration, or governing, that does not involve being on the take.

This brings up an obvious question.  If we are not there to win something, or save the government -- why are we there?  Even the lies don't make sense.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,705 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

It was similar near the end of the Vietnam war, we were there because we had been there so long.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

It was similar near the end of the Vietnam war, we were there because we had been there so long.

Yes.  I remember "peace with honor.".  Mostly about the President's pride.  And the flag waving.

"Everything old is new again. " 

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

The awful part -- The really awful part -- we have no objectives.  Nothing to achieve.  Just propping up the Afghan government.

Come now.  The Afghan government is not a government in any real sense of the word.  Nothing but a bunch of incompetent thugs and thieves.  The only reason people have for being in that government, is to control the graft and corruption and patronage.  They have no concept of administration, or governing, that does not involve being on the take.

This brings up an obvious question.  If we are not there to win something, or save the government -- why are we there?  Even the lies don't make sense.

Afghanistan is called the "graveyard of empires" but it would be more accurate to call it the "battleground of empires."

https://www.nytimes....=3&mcubz=3&_r=0

Since the 19th century Afghanistan has constantly been in the way of major world powers attempting to make power plays, and everyone who has tried has suffered for it.  The US is no different, and it's delusional to think we can seize control or rule over the region without significant cost.  This is not the time of Alexander the Great or the Persian Empire, this is the year 2017.

What we call Afghanistan was never meant to be a nation in the first place.  It was a region with thousands of disparate tribal groups, with relationships and rivalries far too complex for the British to understand when they were dividing up colonized lands like slices of a cake.  They drew border lines however they saw fit, sometimes right through the middle of a tribe's land, and sometimes encircling two tribes who hated each other in the same area.

Thus it's no surprise that there is not only sectarian strife but also old tribal conflicts that threaten to break out, without the iron fist of an authoritarian regime like the Taliban.  This is why people in other parts of the world will choose authoritarian rule, because an oppressive police state is the only way to keep the peace.  If the US were to overthrow the Taliban and impose democracy, the people of Afghanistan would just "vote" in the next Taliban.

I don't know if these senators got the message, but Osama bin Laden has been dead for six years.  As of 2009, there has been very little Al-Qaeda presence there.  ISIS isn't even interested in Afghanistan at all (the places they operate are right in their name) and Boko Haram is based in Africa.  Meanwhile, the United States continues to suck up to the number one state sponsor of terrorism in the Middle East because, well, you know why.

Unfortunately, the sunk cost fallacy is one of the most common causes of stupidity among the vast majority of people today.

The new Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: Massacre a crowd of civilians, draw a target around them, and declare they were all terrorists.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

This, by the way, is what all that money is needed for.

http://www.truth-out...s-dictatorships

Democracy and freedom my ass.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationCanada

Exactly!

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

The layers of deception are so deep and so wide; I am at a loss to respond.  Our friends in Afghanistan.  Our friends in Saudi Arabia.  Our friends in Egypt.  Hamas?  The Palestine Authority?  The Freedom Fighters in Syria?  Blundering into Iraq?  Where even to begin?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: senate, afghanistan, military, military industrial complex, war

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users