Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Gay Rights Group Name Ever

- - - - - Botswana gay rights teh gay

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,638 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Remember Pastor Steven Anderson? The morality instructor who advocates death by firing squad for our webmaster tried to export his hate to South Africa, but Africa’s only country with marriage equality naturally denied him a visa. So he decided the next best thing was to go north to Botswana. He was instantly deported.

It seemed to me that big changes are ahead in Botswana. While checking up on the progress of LGBT rights there, I came upon the local LGBT rights organization: The Lesbians, Gays & Bisexuals of Botswana, or LeGaBiBo.

LeGaBiBo :-)

As for progress, currently, “unnatural” carnal knowledge is a criminal offense in Botswana, but this law is rarely enforced, and quite vague, I might add. LeGaBiBo was twice denied registration by the Botswana government, but the High Court forced their recognition in 2014, and rejected the appeal in 2016, the year that Anderson was deported. In 2010, employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation was banned, putting Botswana ahead of the USA in that department! Transgender rights were granted last year. Nearly half of Batswana are okay with gay neighbors, and, as you might expect, the young ’uns are wondering what the big deal is about.

It is now up to the law to catch up.

It is ironic that in Botswana, as elsewhere in Africa, homosexuality is seen as a Western import. In fact, it is homophobia that is the Western import, “unnatural” acts not being criminalized in what is now Botswana until they became a protectorate of the UK. Joining the British Empire on their own terms was actually a shrewd political strategy on the part of the Tswana, but the successor republic is now left with this legacy of colonialism that they don’t recognize as such, but still need to discard.

• Ungodly and JadeBlackOlive like this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationCanada

Good read, thanks, Cousin Ricky.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

There is something enjoyable about seeing a fundamentalist hate monger deported.  

When I was a young child in elementary school, my social studies text book told me that the Chinese had expelled their missionaries.  Even then, I couldn't understand what the problem was.  Of course, they had expelled their missionaries.  Who wouldn't?

[smilie=happydance.gif] 

Edited by jonathanlobl, 05 April 2018 - 07:52 PM.

• Ungodly, Cousin Ricky, Aging Disgracefully and 1 other like this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Botswana, gay rights, teh gay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users