Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Geeks to Expand Tomato Growing with New Raised Bed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,038 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Later this morning a concrete guy is supposed to start building us a second raised bed like the existing one so we can grow a wider variety of tomatoes.

It should be one cinder block wider than the first one, close to the first one on the patio where I sit and soak up the sunlight.

I'm developing an interest in heirloom tomato varieties, have started some plants this year from seed, albeit two months late starting.

I mentioned in another topic the Black Brandywine seeds I found.  I got good germination and will likely end up with 3 or 4 of those plants.

I also have three other varieties started from seed.

• Garden Leader Monster - very strong looking seedlings, first to germinate, produces large beefsteak size tomatoes
  • Burpee Supersteak - another very large tomato, this one is a hybrid
  • Early Girl - an early producer of small to medium tomatoes, very weak seedlings, poor germination, the best of them is poor

The above are all very young plants with their cotyledon leaves still present.  In our original raised bed there are already five well established plants. These were all purchased as plants, the Damsel was actually shipped UPS from Burpee.

• Celebrity - the most productive tomato I've ever seen, I've grown these every year since we moved here, only one this year. Giant plants.
  • Indigo Rose - a richly colored variety, new to me
  • Red Beefsteak - Another large tomato purchased @ Home Despot
  • Damsel Hybrid - A pink beefsteak hybrid with disease resistance
  • Bush Goliath - small round red tomatoes

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

That's awesome, gardening is so relaxing and you get to reap such good benefits, who doesn't love what I call real tomatoes. Anytime I get tomatoes from somebodies garden I wonder. "What the hell are those things we get at the store." There is no comparison.

This year and from now on, unless of course we have a total collapse of society and are forced to go back to living off the land, the closest I get to something edible is parsley, not devil's parsley, but the curly leafed variety.  I'm going to get a pot of chives going as well. And probably a hanging cherry tomato basket.  

Do you make stuff with your tomatoes, I mean like sauces or just mostly eat them fresh and raw? I could pop cherry tomatoes all day. Hey let me tell you what not to pop all day, giant green grapes, Crikey I ate about 2 pounds of Thompson grapes the other day and by late afternoon I had an attack that would rival Mt. Vesuvius. Nuff said 

I look forward to your tomatoes chronicles.

In past lives I lived in Atlantis and Pompeii, I took a vacation on the Titanic and I thought those were disasters! HA!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,038 posts

Do you make stuff with your tomatoes, I mean like sauces or just mostly eat them fresh and raw? 

I can take a large size stainless steel mixing bowl, the kind everybody has, fill it heaping high with about 30 tomatoes, and 4 hours later I'll have a tomato sauce to die for.  The freshest possible!

It's halfway done!  Then the bag after bag of potting soil.  Then tomato forest 2018, I hope. Photo from one of my home made security cameras.

raised-bed-2-halfway.png

--Lao Tzu

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationCanada

LOVE fresh from the garden tomatoes, & the smell of the plant is fantastic to me. Store bought tomatoes are just plastic-y, & completely tasteless.

We share many with the neighbours & in a very productive year, I will make sauce & freeze it.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,038 posts

all-done-second-raised-bed.jpg

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

--Lao Tzu

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationCanada

Loooookin' goooood!

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Wow awesome Dudeski!  and you had somebody build them for you guys, you lucky dogs.  That would have been Glenn and me doing that, if we can't do it ourselves it doesn't get done, we do need a new roof soon, we won't do that ourselves though.  Although after our last major project I did state unequivocally it would be the last time we ever did a project together on the house.  I don't know for sure if it's possible to aggravated a person to death, but I do have my suspicions. 

I sure like your location and yard/garden/patio area.  You are going to have quite the tomato forest there.

In past lives I lived in Atlantis and Pompeii, I took a vacation on the Titanic and I thought those were disasters! HA!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,038 posts

My dear husband would freak out if he saw me pick up a cinder block. I break much too easily, and he does not want me to break.

It's full of rocks first and then 44 3.5 cu ft bags of super duper potting soil with tree bits and manure blended in.

--Lao Tzu

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationCanada

Oooooo....lets not break anything more!

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

My dear husband would freak out if he saw me pick up a cinder block. I break much too easily, and he does not want me to break.

It's full of rocks first and then 44 3.5 cu ft bags of super duper potting soil with tree bits and manure blended in.

Yeah that's a good amount of physical labor there. My back would not be happy doing that. 

I can just imagine how tomatoes or any veggie love your garden boxes, they hold the heat in so well.

I remember some Doris Day movie where she makes and bottles her own ketchup.  I even have a label/name for it., I mean if you make some, Ungodly Ketchup. Which also reminds me of my family, who used to use the word ungodly a lot, as in, "what is that ungodly odor?" or "that's an ungodly hour to have to get up" or "who could be calling us at this ungodly hour".  Or in the case of your ketchup, "my this is ungodly good ketchup."

Mustard, that is my condiment of choice, it works on anything.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,038 posts

Making ketchup? A novel idea. I feel certain there will be enough tomatoes!  It will be difficult to beat Heinz ketchup which we do like around here.

The new bed is full of rocks and soil now.  Very early yesterday morning I started soaking it with water to verify the drainage.  Our patio slopes slightly downhill so the side in the background in the photo has no mortar between the blocks on the bottom row to provide an exit path.  It took hours to soak through!

I have selected 6 seedlings to be promoted to the new bed. Four are Black Brandywine, one Garden Leader Monster and one Burpee Supersteak.  They need to grow a little taller first so that I can plant them with the root ball as deep as possible.

--Lao Tzu

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Lots of good eats coming your way for sure. I'm at least going to hang up a tomato basket.  I'm not doing any veggies anymore, we have too many darn cats coming into our back yard at night and they love to crap in my garden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users