Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Drama at American Atheists

- - - - - American Atheists David Silverman MeToo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

David Silverman has been fired as president of American Atheists. Press release.

I am a friend of David Silverman and a member of American Atheists. But over the years, I’ve learned two things: the only way to avoid disillusionment is to eschew hero worship; and with all organizations there will be drama.

Now, before conservative Christians and Fucks News rejoice at this development, may I point out that American Atheists did not stonewall, cover up the abuse, protect the abusers, or blame the victims. Also, as was the case with Lawrence Krauss, we’ve held our own to higher standards than the churches and the neocons. Let the hypocrisy begin.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

Being Canadian, I've not heard too much about him.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

These developments make me sad.  Life goes on.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I remember David when he was the new guy at AA who ran the blog.  Over the years I've begun to find his style and that of AA to be more aggressive and in your face than I prefer, but we agree on almost everything important I'm sure.

I have no direct knowledge of this situation, I was shocked to hear about it yesterday.  I imagine the board at AA must have been fairly certain about these allegations being true to have taken such a drastic and sudden action.  

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

Atheists have a long ways to go to catch up with Christians in the bad behavior department. 

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

Atheists have a long ways to go to catch up with Christians in the bad behavior department. 

More to the point, we don't protect criminals from law enforcement.  Even when they are one of us.  Sometimes, real social justice hurts.  

• Ungodly, Cousin Ricky, Aging Disgracefully and 1 other like this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: American Atheists, David Silverman, MeToo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users