Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Oh, the Cleverness of Modern Technology

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

You may be familiar with the Amazon Alexa family of voice assistant speakers like the Echo.

We are literally heavily invested in Alexa technology here. Back when we first returned from Hawaii when I was using a walker there was a floor lamp in my office that was difficult to reach. So we connected it to an Alexa-capable switched outlet so I could say "Alexa, turn on the office light." and there would be light.

This "morning", actually more like 11:30PM when I woke up from my brief night's sleep, Alexa was unable to turn on the light because our Internet connection was down.  I found that our router locked up, rebooted it, then I was able to turn on the light.

This episode illustrates the fact that the more complex a system the greater the chance of failure.  Wall switches tend to be highly reliable by comparison.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'll stick with switches methinks. The ads on tv of people talking to ''Alexa'' are just a big turn off for me, & am not the least bit interested. I'd rather get a service dog....hahahaha.....

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

We keep as low-tech as possible at our house. We have a computer and 2 clam shell Cellular One phones, we only use them to make phone calls. no texting, no nothin'. And still have our land line and will never give that up, but we did make a remarkable change last year and we now have our land line phone service with the same local internet provider we have been with since 2005.  We are wireless, but still have to have a little antenna on the roof to pull in the signal. 

I don't even understand how wi-fi works or any of that stuff like Alexa or Echo. 

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts

I understand how they work fairly well but I still mostly use mine for trivial tasks like "Alexa, start a timer for 11 minutes" when I put a pizza in the oven.  I also use them for measurement conversions "Alexa, convert 6cm to inches" and to play music "Alexa, play Mental Anguish by Easily Embarrassed."

(Yes, I can haz pizza made by Daiya)

Now DH on the other hand is one of the people who makes Alexa work, being as he is a brilliant programmer.

You may encounter claims that these devices are constantly recording what you say, that is false.  The Echo products never record anything until you say the wake word. It has also been claimed that they constantly send your conversations to mysterious conspiracy villains, those claims are false.

What they do is listen for their wake word, by default it is Alexa, then they do start sending your speech to the Big AI.  Once your voice sample is there supercomputers ty to figure out if you gave a command or asked a question, etc. Until you say the wake word they do nothing at all except listen for the wake word. The speakers have no intelligence they are only capable of recognizing their configured wake word then relaying everything else to Big AI.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

I just don't know how things are connected, you just set one of those things in your house and everything can just connect and get a signal? how does that work ?

I'm not concerned about anybody listening to us or recording anything. boy how boring that would be.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

I always wonder how much is too much, & a needless expense. Some things I just have no interest in.

My husband touches no computer whatsoever. He's manged to learn how to use a cell phone, but that's the extent of his techie skills, so anything new around here, I'm the one who has to learn how to use it.

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

I always wonder how much is too much, & a needless expense. Some things I just have no interest in.

My husband touches no computer whatsoever. He's manged to learn how to use a cell phone, but that's the extent of his techie skills, so anything new around here, I'm the one who has to learn how to use it.

Everytime we get something new we just groan and roll our eyes.And if it has to do with the computer, I'm your man, er woman. Although the mister is a whizz at hooking stuff up and working on things that were made before the tech revolution.  But stuff is getting easier, lots of color coded plugs, that helps.

We do without a few things because we see no use for them. I still consider the fact that we have a computer and digital cameras as being high tech

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have the computer, the tablet, the portable dvd player, digital camera, & video camera. He doesn't even know where the start buttons are.

We have smart phones & tv satellite. I finally got him learning his phone, but I had to learn the tv & satellite, etc. He has his model trains.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts

I just don't know how things are connected, you just set one of those things in your house and everything can just connect and get a signal? how does that work ?

I'm not concerned about anybody listening to us or recording anything. boy how boring that would be.

All of voice assistants use your WiFi network to reach their mother ship.  With Amazon Alexa you use a smart phone app to initially get it onto your network.  I would not recommend these products to anybody without a smart phone.

I don't know offhand how many computers I own but it is in the neighborhood of twenty or so. That includes 10 security cameras I have built myself, each based on a Linux computer.

• Aging Disgracefully and JadeBlackOlive like this

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Since I've retired I've seemed to shut down part of my brain and just want to live as simply as possible.  I do like our cell phones, they come in handy, especially when the power or internet/phone goes down. 

Jade my husband has radio control airplanes and now he has a slot car track in the garage.  So I rarely see him except at dinnertime. If I quit feeding him I'd probably never see the man.  

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hahaha.....my husband also has remote controlled mini helicopters, but much prefers his trains.

Video of trains with horn, & mooing cattle.......

• Joe Bloe and Aging Disgracefully like this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Holy cow, this is terrific! I'm sending this to my uncle who has trains, he will just crap when he sees this set up. I loved your husband's head popping up occasionally and you are right those cows do sound like they have urgent needs. 

I'm sure I distinctly heard an elephant among the herd.  How long has he been working on this train world, it's pretty epic indeed.

Hahaha.....my husband also has remote controlled mini helicopters, but much prefers his trains.

Video of trains with horn, & mooing cattle.......

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts

That is quite a setup, Jade!

My brother used to have his entire basement setup with model trains. And my younger grandson is obsessed with trains.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

Rick retired in 1999, but built the basement suite first. Then he got into the trains about 10 years ago or so.

Rick has commandeered the 3rd bedroom upstairs for this hobby, & its a constant joke that he wants to expand into the whole house.

Here's another with our youngest son at the doorway.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

The posters he found fit perfectly into the scenics on the walls. He also had a shower curtain printed with a forestry design to eventually hang over the bedroom window. He made the ''trees'' from lilac blossom twigs, dried after the flowering season.

This is one of the first videos I tried.....

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

What a wonderful little world he has built.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

I had a look on You Tube and found a video that shows a train set of the type I had when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

Trains are fascinating, big or miniature. Rick can get involved enough to forget his heart issues. Its a great stress reliever.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users