Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Real or Poe ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,796 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Are these three people genuine bishops or are they comedians taking the piss ?

gallery_146_4_49513.jpeg

Spoiler

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

Truth is stranger than fiction.  Some things can't be parodied.  

• Ungodly likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,648 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

The photo doesn’t look unusual or satirical to me. Is there something I’m missing?

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,796 posts

The photo doesn’t look unusual or satirical to me. Is there something I’m missing?

Within the church it is not an unusual sight, but to an outsider like me they look quite silly, especially that lanky one in the middle with the dopey grin on his face. He's the one that made me think it might be a joke photograph. [It isn't a joke photograph but at first glance it looked like it was.]

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Within the church it is not an unusual sight, but to an outsider like me they look quite silly, especially that lanky one in the middle with the dopey grin on his face. He's the one that made me think it might be a joke photograph. [It isn't a joke photograph but at first glance it looked like it was.]

I agree about the tall guy. He looks like he is on the set of a Monty Python sketch.  

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

It's a joke no matter how you look at it.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

I hope nobody takes offence.  To  me, those robes look flaming gay.  

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,796 posts

Speaking of gay robes:

gallery_146_19_42726.jpg

• Cousin Ricky and Aging Disgracefully like this

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,648 posts

Within the church it is not an unusual sight, but to an outsider like me they look quite silly, [...]

That must be it.

I can still see the Blessed Virgin Mary in a splat of bird shit, where as you’ll probably see just bird shit.

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

It is queer -- yes, I said it -- that a church of gay hating men, would have such robes..  How can they not see how twisted this is?  Even the "dull" garments have purple in them.  These outfits would blend into a gay pride parade.  Seriously, don't they know?

Edited by jonathanlobl, 26 April 2018 - 07:03 AM.

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,211 posts

If you want to offend me you'll have to say something offensive.  I agree, and I have always wondered how many young lads who like to wear dresses have been attractedto the priesthood because of the fancy costumes. Some even have gold threads!

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,211 posts

It is queer -- yes, I said it -- that a church of gay hating men, would have such robes..  How can they not see how twisted this is?  

Imagine you are a gay teenage boy in a Catholic high school.  All of your friends and family keep asking you why you have not been dating any girls.  To get them off your back you declare your plans to enter the priesthood. It has been their greatest recruitment tool, and uppity queers like me are ruining it for them by not feeling guilty.

While it is not inaccurate to call such hypocrites gay men it does leave out one detail I think is critical to understanding this phenomenon, these are closeted gay men.  They are living in denial, but the pretty dresses mean they still get a chance to wear expensive costumes.

Now the Church is forced to recruit extremely poor third world youth who jump at the chance to have a job, any job. 

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

If you want to offend me you'll have to say something offensive.  I agree, and I have always wondered how many young lads who like to wear dresses have been attractedto the priesthood because of the fancy costumes. Some even have gold threads!

Think of all the gay men who joined the priesthood, so that they would have an excuse to be celibate -- because they knew they didn't want a wife and couldn't cope with being gay.  Then they got ordained and discovered that they were still themselves.  That they had the same needs.  Well, their fashion sense also wouldn't change.  Also important.  They won't be denounced from the pulpit.  When the church is hunting gay men, the safest place to be is in the church.

We're on the same page.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 26 April 2018 - 07:20 AM.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Imagine you are a gay teenage boy in a Catholic high school.  All of your friends and family keep asking you why you have not been dating any girls.  To get them off your back you declare your plans to enter the priesthood. It has been their greatest recruitment tool, and uppity queers like me are ruining it for them by not feeling guilty.

While it is not inaccurate to call such hypocrites gay men it does leave out one detail I think is critical to understanding this phenomenon, these are closeted gay men.  They are living in denial, but the pretty dresses mean they still get a chance to wear expensive costumes.

Now the Church is forced to recruit extremely poor third world youth who jump at the chance to have a job, any job. 

On reflection, the self denial is the least of it.  What about the self loathing?  

There is a lesson here for Atheists.  Life in the closet is a losing proposition.  Best to come out and have done.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 26 April 2018 - 02:48 PM.

• Ungodly and Cousin Ricky like this

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

An Oreo cookie with too much filing!

Maybe they can get some fashion help from Ru Paul.

Sorry I seem to be going 'round the bend with off-color humor.

You know who would love that gold Pope outfit...I'll give you a hint. Never mind it's too early to start up on the Talking Hemorrhoid.

Can somebody explain something else to me, why is it completely ok for women to wear men's clothes, I mean ok with society in general.  We can wear men's clothes exclusively and no one seems to notice or mind or care. But let a guy try to pull that off at any given time, other that Halloween, and he'd be laughed at and looked down on and I'm sure have a very miserable time of it.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,211 posts

You know who would love that gold Pope outfit...I'll give you a hint. Never mind it's too early to start up on the Talking Hemorrhoid.

I never thought of that, but yeah. He could be the prettiest Pope yet, his orange hair would go well with a gold tiara.

why is it completely ok for women to wear men's clothes, I mean ok with society in general.  We can wear men's clothes exclusively and no one seems to notice or mind or care. But let a guy try to pull that off at any given time, other that Halloween, and he'd be laughed at and looked down on and I'm sure have a very miserable time of it.

I think the unspoken rule that applies here is "Penis uber alles",  as in the male is entitled to take and the female role is to submit.  Typical male gender superiority fantasies.

Fantasy worlds are fragile and strongly resist change, so a male who takes on the role they identify as submissive flies in the face of their rigid, binary perception of sexuality.  It causes a fear reaction in narrow minded persons since they fear nothing more than appearing to be tolerant.

I submit anyone should be free to wear whatever they wish as long as the usual covering of private parts is included. 

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,648 posts

Can somebody explain something else to me, why is it completely ok for women to wear men's clothes, I mean ok with society in general.  We can wear men's clothes exclusively and no one seems to notice or mind or care. But let a guy try to pull that off at any given time, other that Halloween, and he'd be laughed at and looked down on and I'm sure have a very miserable time of it.

It’s because women fought long and hard for that right. As recently as when I was a kid (the early ’70s), it was still somewhat taboo for girls to wear pants, although girls were fighting it by that time. (In some fundamentalist Christian circles, to this day, it is seen as sinful for a girl or a woman to wear anything other than a floor-length dress. And it’s pretty sick, too. You saw some of that come out during the last presidential race: why should it be remarkable that Hillary Rodham Clinton wears pants suits?)

As for why men haven’t fought for the right to wear traditionally women’s clothing, I’ve got two stinking, festering terms: machismo and male homophobia.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Pants were still a taboo at school when I was a kid, finally my senior year 1970, we could wear "nice pants". No jeans.

When I see a guy wearing a skirt it's either a leather skirt/kilt or some sort of like cargo pants, but a skirt. I immediately think that guy has a lot of guts and is very secure about himself. 

People shouldn't be pigeon holed in regard to clothes as long a private parts are covered, that includes butt cracks and excessive cleavage.  Any place you got enough flesh to press together to make a crack, I don't want to see it. 

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

In matters of clothing, we can't ignore the power structure.  Deep in the culture, men are still an upper class regarding women.  When women take on male clothing, it's taking on the symbols of male power.  When men wear female garments, it's a descent down the power ladder.

We have to be honest about the unwritten rules.  Not having power is a sin.  Giving up power, is depraved and punishable.  

• Ungodly, Cousin Ricky and Aging Disgracefully like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users