Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mor[m]ons: Youth Leaving Mor[m]on Church in Droves

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,094 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Young persons are leaving the Mor[m]on church specifically because of its loathsome attitude toward fabulous people.

A recent survey reported that the No. 1 reason American millennials are leaving the church is the way that it treats its LGBTQ members, with tens of thousands of Mormons resigning from the church as a result.

Q Salt Lake

Somehow this does not make me sad.  Homophobia as a cure for Christianity.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

Young persons are leaving the Mor[m]on church specifically because of its loathsome attitude toward fabulous people.

Q Salt Lake

Somehow this does not make me sad.  Homophobia as a cure for Christianity.

And yet, gay people are still Christian.  There are even gay focused churches.  I don't get it.  Not even when the homophobes are kind enough, to bring the relevant Scriptures to their attention.  At the same time, New York City has a famous gay Jewish congregation.  

I find this sort of piety, disturbing.  

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationCanada

I got out before I even knew what gay was.

I did not like how the blacks or aboriginals were treated, which is what I did see/hear at the time.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,094 posts

There are even gay focused churches.  I don't get it.  

Compartmentalization: Noun 1. compartmentalization - a mild state of dissociation

compartmentalisation
disassociation, dissociation - a state in which some integrated part of a person's life becomes separated from the rest of the personality and functions independently

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

I know about that.  Still, for a gay person to worship a gay hating god.........

Then again, I have a Jewish background.  If you know anything about Jewish history.......  Jewish piety is profoundly masochistic.  Not even a safe word.  

Try and explain Gay, Jewish piety.  I've met some of them.  They have stories of encountering Orthodox Jews in the bathhouses.   It hurts my head just thinking about it.

A Gay, Christian Church.......  This can not be explained away by disassociation. It's creepy.  It gives me the shivers.  How is it possible?  

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,094 posts

A Gay, Christian Church.......  This can not be explained away by disassociation. It's creepy.  It gives me the shivers.  How is it possible?  

I know what you mean, it makes me want to pull my hair out or bang my head.Wouldn't it be nice if humans who chose to do so could graduate somehow and transmogrify into some intelligent species?

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

I know what you mean, it makes me want to pull my hair out or bang my head.Wouldn't it be nice if humans who chose to do so could graduate somehow and transmogrify into some intelligent species?

What I don't get at all, on any level, is gay Mormons.  C'mon -- Why?  How?  Then again -- Black Mormons?  What depth of self loathing have to be behind that?  

Well, you start with a church where the founder was convicted of criminal fraud.........  They actually believe that American Indians are the lost tribes of Israel.....

On the subject of warped emotions and twisted thinking -- The Jews for Jesus.  Wow.  Just wow.  Crazy is such an inadequate word.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 01 May 2018 - 05:35 AM.

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,094 posts

What I don't get at all, on any level, is gay Mormons.  C'mon -- Why?  How?  

Child is born to Mormon parents, they raise child as Mormon. Later child reaches puberty and notices their attraction is to same sex persons.  This is how it happens.

As to why, well, shit happens.

It gets interesting when the person raised Mormon realizes the conflict with their sexuality. This can be an absolutely horrible experience. The lucky ones walk away from ancient superstitions and accept themselves as they are.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Child is born to Mormon parents, they raise child as Mormon. Later child reaches puberty and notices their attraction is to same sex persons.  This is how it happens.

As to why, well, shit happens.

It gets interesting when the person raised Mormon realizes the conflict with their sexuality. This can be an absolutely horrible experience. The lucky ones walk away from ancient superstitions and accept themselves as they are.

Your analysis rings true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users