Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is Cuba Next?

- - - - - gay marriage marriage equality same-sex marriage

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Mariela Castro to push for same-sex marriage in Cuba (Pink News). Mariela Castro has broken from the viciously homophobic policies of her late uncle, and proposes that the Cuban constitution do the same.

To date, no communist country has marriage equality, and only one former communist country—East Germany, since absorbed into its western counterpart—has full marriage equality. Former Soviet republics Armenia and Estonia recognize same-sex marriages performed in other countries, but do not perform such marriages at home.

Ironically, no officially atheist state has ever performed or recognized same-sex marriages. (Cuba would be the first, if Castro succeeds.) This is a bit more evidence that foisting atheism on the people is merely the flip side of theocracy, and that religiously neutral secular government is the fairest way to proceed.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I'm wondering if Communism might constitute a homophobic religion.  Right off, Communism is not deity free.  Chairman Mao, with his Little Red Book, was a god with Scripture -- complete with miracles.  Stalin was also treated as a god.  Certainly, the all seeing eye.  The original "Big Brother".  If we can classify Communism as a god infested religion -- then small wonder that it's homophobic.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 07 May 2018 - 04:46 AM.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

No matter what or where, its always about controlling others.

• Cousin Ricky likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

No matter what or where, its always about controlling others.

​This is way past control.  The central issue is fear, showing up as hate.  I can understand the followers of a gay hating god -- hating gay people.  Why are Communists afraid of gay people?  There must be plenty of gay Communists.  Why are they hating their own?

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

Which is why among many reasons, & am not a people person.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Which is why among many reasons, & am not a people person.

I live in hope.  I don't expect things to get better; but I hope.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

I do too, but still keep to myself.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Communists oppose religion to avoid competition for control of the muggle mind. They don't mind the authoritarian aspect of monotheism though, so they kept all of the prejudices and just changed the source of the authority from Sky Monster to the Communist party. 

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Communists oppose religion to avoid competition for control of the muggle mind. They don't mind the authoritarian aspect of monotheism though, so they kept all of the prejudices and just changed the source of the authority from Sky Monster to the Communist party. 

When Nazi concentration camps were all the rage; gay people and communists were in the same camps as the Jews.  They met the same fate in the same ovens.  The mutual experience seems to be less enlightening than I expected.  I don't understand.  It's a thing of great sadness.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts

When Nazi concentration camps were all the rage; gay people and communists were in the same camps as the Jews.  They met the same fate in the same ovens.  The mutual experience seems to be less enlightening than I expected.  I don't understand.  It's a thing of great sadness.

I know what you mean. I get upset with gay people who are racist.  I would expect being a member of a persecuted class to provide enlightenment, but that's just me expecting people to think.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

I know what you mean. I get upset with gay people who are racist.  I would expect being a member of a persecuted class to provide enlightenment, but that's just me expecting people to think.

You expect people to think?  When I was in High School, I was known to be Jewish.  Some of my fellow students -- who were black -- thought to torture me with the Nazi salute.  Think of it.  Black High School students, doing the Nazi salute.  You get these dumb fucks, who don't know anything.......

Words fail.  

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts

I get upset with black people who are anti-gay. Two moments of enlightenment for me were when it occurred to me that civil unions were just another “separate but equal,” and that my concept of marriage had been constrained by my former religion.

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts

P.S. At least one study has found that there are actually personality differences between political liberals and political conservatives, and one of them is that conservatives tend to lack empathy for the “other,” until the issue affecting the “other” becomes personal. We have seen this recently in Rethuglicans viciously attacking gay rights, and then suddenly changing their mind when they discover that a family member is gay.

I have a conservative personality, but I am politically liberal, and in general I tend to match the pattern of liberals in the study. In the case of marriage equality, though, a bit of that conservative trait seeped into my feelings. I was convinced that same sex marriage was by definition a contradiction in terms—until someone in a now-defunct atheist forum, who called himself The Professor, casually dropped “my husband” into the conversation. It was very quickly confirmed that The Professor was, in fact, a man, and my view on what constituted a “marriage” suddenly shifted.

It appeared to be the personal touch that changed my mind on this issue. Or maybe it was that it had been only a few months since I had renounced Christianity, and I was still reevaluating things I had taken for granted. Perhaps it was both; I was open to having my concept of marriage redefined, and it just took the personal touch to nudge me over. I don’t know. There is only one other issue for which my former religion interfered with my political views (abortion), and my change on that issue was effected by reasoned arguments, and not anything personal.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCanada

Precisely why I say my thoughts are never written in stone. The more I learn from others, the more I change what I think.

• Cousin Ricky likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Precisely why I say my thoughts are never written in stone. The more I learn from others, the more I change what I think.

This is something I understand.  Some time back, I was taking an advanced reiki  class.  The teacher kept urging me to examine my beliefs.  So I did.  I rediscovered my Atheism.  

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,358 posts

I was convinced that same sex marriage was by definition a contradiction in terms—until someone in a now-defunct atheist forum, who called himself The Professor, casually dropped “my husband” into the conversation. It was very quickly confirmed that The Professor was, in fact, a man, and my view on what constituted a “marriage” suddenly shifted.

I remember The Professor.  :-)

That was maybe ten or twelve years ago.  

This seems to support the widely held notion that the process of coming out to people was a major factor in the rise of equal rights for Friends of Dorothy.

It's a very nice feeling when we learn our words have helped to liberate another mind from the slavery of bigotry.  More so when a good friend is involved.

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gay marriage, marriage equality, same-sex marriage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users