Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chilean Bishops Do More Than Talk

- - - - - bishops cover-up FtTP pedophilia Pope Francis scandal sex abuse

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

All Chile’s 34 bishops offer resignation to Pope over sex abuse scandals (BBC News)

(The cynic in me hopes they’re not angling for a promotion.)

Of note is that the bishops asked for forgiveness from the victims, a total reversal from the HRCC’s normal MO in two ways. Normally they blame the victims and ask their imaginary friend for forgiveness.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

34 Bishops...may I just say WTF.  Castrate them all.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,800 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

They're up to something. I don't know what it is but I'll bet all of them land on their feet eventually.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

They're up to something. I don't know what it is but I'll bet all of them land on their feet eventually.

Much like pawns, the bishop is a piece on a chessboard.  The real question is -- Who's playing the game?

Edited by jonathanlobl, 19 May 2018 - 07:03 AM.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,652 posts

I just noticed something. When I copied the BBC headline, I retained the capitalization. Why did the BBC capitalize the word “pope”? They’re not even Catholic!

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

I just noticed something. When I copied the BBC headline, I retained the capitalization. Why did the BBC capitalize the word “pope”? They’re not even Catholic!

Try typing Christian with a small C.  It won't let you.  I tried just now.  It turned the c into a capital C. 

No problem typing atheist with a small a.  

It also allows agnostic with a small a.

Try typing muslim with a small M.  It allows this, but a red line pops up to say it's wrong.  

Edited by jonathanlobl, 19 May 2018 - 11:57 AM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,227 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Well it is customary, yes?  They (BBC) are not the sort to monkey about with capitalization for propaganda purposes, at least not consciously.

Try typing Christian with a small C.  It won't let you.  I tried just now.  It turned the c into a capital C. 

No problem typing atheist with a small a.  

It also allows agnostic with a small a.

Try typing muslim with a small M.  It allows this, but a red line pops up to say it's wrong.  

Even programmers are subject to biases, often without being aware.

Imagine a cop who pulls a gun immediately on a black burglar, but yells "Stop, police" at a white thief. That man would likely insist he is not biased.  We all are in some way or another.

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,227 posts

So about the Chilean bishops.  I wondered if they had all been invited to submit their resignations? FtTP got egg on his face by defending a bad guy, and now he is as embarrassed as he is likely to get.  Could lead to anger and retribution.

"Hey you bishops! Get off my church."

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,652 posts

We don’t customarily capitalize titles in isolation like that. We don’t capitalize queen, president, prime minister, bishop, etc., unless they are followed by a name or are used as an address, e.g., “Mr. President” or “President Obama.” Why should “pope” be an exception?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,227 posts

We don’t customarily capitalize titles in isolation like that. We don’t capitalize queen, president, prime minister, bishop, etc., unless they are followed by a name or are used as an address, e.g., “Mr. President” or “President Obama.” Why should “pope” be an exception?

I should know all of this, especially as a retired tech writer.  I always benefitted from peer review of my documents. So it goes.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Have you seen or read "Candide" by Voltaire?  As the narrator, Voltaire makes a statement about the Pope -- and adds that out of discretion, we will not name the Pope.  The Pope is always known.  Someone can be "president" of a PTA.  The Pope is The Pope.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bishops, cover-up, FtTP, pedophilia, Pope Francis, scandal, sex abuse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users