Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ungodly Says, “Not This Year!”

- - - - - birthday

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Seventy years of winning at a game that all of us are destined to lose.

:smt113 :smt113 :smt113 :smt113 Happy birthday! :smt113 :smt113 :smt113

• Ungodly, Joe Bloe, Aging Disgracefully and 1 other like this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationCanada

Catching up to me!

Attached Thumbnails

• imagesbirthday.jpeg

• Ungodly likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,752 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Happy Birthday.

• Ungodly likes this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,132 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Thanks folks!  It was a very unusual birthday. For several reasons yesterday was our best day this month to shop for a car, but Terry wanted to take me out for brunch or dinner.

We went to CarMax next to LAX and bought a used 2017 Chevy Volt, then went to a nearby vegan restaurant for lunch. I drove the new car home, it's very nice.

From the perspective of minimizing harm to the environment the Volt is a step above the well respected but aging Prius design.  In a Prius the gas engine will always start 7 seconds after you boot up the car and while driving the engine runs intermittently to provide more acceleration. It use a small battery and two small electric motors. The Volt always uses its much larger battery first, then starts the tiny gasoline engine to run a generator to power the electric motor. The gas engine can be tweaked for greater efficiency because it runs at an optimum RPM for charging and never gets lugged down by heavy loads in the wrong gear.

If you hooked up a trailer with a gas powered generator to the back of my Sparky it would be functionally equivalent to a Volt. Some hardware is identical between the two cars.

This will be Terry's commute car, charged every night at home. He will certainly arrive at work, downhill from here, with lots of battery power left and then nearly make it home before the gas engine kicks in.  It's almost like a pure EV except without the range anxiety.

I drove it home from the LAX area and made it all the way to the Corona city limits before the engine kicked in. Our home is 1,000 feet higher than LAX. The car is very pleasant to drive and right now it is the PHEV with the longest EV range on the market.  GM is mopping up the floor with Toyota in the green car realm.

The Volt is much quieter than our 9 year old Prius with 180,000 miles - the car it replaces. We'll be giving the Prius to a struggling young family we know.

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

Happy Happy Birthday to you, a day late, but better late than never.

Sounds like you had a very good day.  And kudos for giving your Prius to a family in need.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sounds like a great purchase. All our taxis here are now electric.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: birthday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users