Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How the mainstream media reported on slaughter of Palestinians

- - - - - new york times israel palestine gaza

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

This is only the second time the IDF has gunned down Palestinian protesters in so many weeks.  Many were unarmed, or carrying only rocks that could never reach the Israeli snipers.  In both incidents, there were zero casualties or injuries on the Israeli side.

I've suspected for years that US support of a terror state like Israel was religiously motivated.  Right wing Christian fundamentalists believe Israel must be held by the Jews, and the capital must be in Jerusalem, in order to fulfill the End Times prophecy.  As you know, that belief involves all the good Christians being raptured, and all the Jews being destroyed regardless.

Some tried to convince me otherwise, including in a debate on the then JREF forums.  Another member told me, no, most Israelis want peace, and the motivation is not religious at all.  It turns out he was half right, the Israeli people by and large want an end to the conflict.  It's the Israeli government, which is corrupt and hawkish and seeking endless war for profit, and has no interest in representing the will of the people; in other words, it's a lot like our own government.

It's harder nowadays to deny the religious motivation behind US foreign policy towards Israel and Palestine, given that Trump's base and the majority of his cabinet are made up of evangelical fundamentalists.  End Times pastors have direct influence over Trump, who always listens to the last person in the room.  Unfortunately, it's not just them, as many corporate Democrats, including Chuck Schumer, have also long favored moving the capital to Jerusalem.

I used to believe that both the Israelis and Palestinians were responsible for the violence, and that both sides were escalating the conflict through retaliatory action.  I only recently realized just how one-sided the conflict is.  The Gaza Strip is an open air prison, much like a concentration camp, and the Palestinians aren't allowed to leave.  If they approach the wall at all, they get shot by snipers.  They are typically armed with rocks, burning tires, sticks, and tennis rackets.  The IDF is armed with automatic weapons, sniper rifles, armored vehicles, and tear gas drones, all paid for by US foreign aid to Israel.  Among those who have been shot and killed by the Israelis were people kneeling down in prayer, journalists wearing vests clearly labeled "Press," mothers and their infants who were nowhere near the protests, disabled people who posed no danger, and medics who tried to help the wounded.

Right wingers and the mainstream media, like Netenyahu, are always quick to blame Hamas for inciting the "riots."  Yeah, I'm sure those Palestinians would have calmly accepted their fate and stayed put had it not been for Hamas telling them to charge at the wall.  The Israeli government, much like Saudi Arabia, has always had a great deal of influence on US foreign policy, and can easily convince the US to instigate or escalate conflicts for their sake.  It was Netenyahu who convinced Trump to pull out of the Iran Nuclear Deal.  And the US media, by and large, goes right along with the narrative, because they're our "allies."

I suppose it's the pattern of history.  A once oppressed group of people comes into power over time, and then turns around and oppresses a weaker group of people, in order to reestablish a sense of identity.

MAGA = More Americans Getting Assraped

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,227 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I suppose it's the pattern of history.  A once oppressed group of people comes into power over time, and then turns around and oppresses a weaker group of people, in order to reestablish a sense of identity.

It would be so nice if I could argue with you, maybe point out some detail you might have overlooked.  But  I see very scary parallels between the actions of the Israeli government and Europe in the 1930s.

The last few years have made me think that the aggressive impulse to conquer and destroy in humans is much more powerful and holds more sway over our actions than more desirable traits like tolerance and compassion.  

We lack sufficient wisdom and we lack sufficient compassion, but technically we are very clever - much to our disadvantage at times.

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,800 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia
Some tried to convince me otherwise, including in a debate on the then JREF forums.  Another member told me, no, most Israelis want peace, and the motivation is not religious at all.  It turns out he was half right, the Israeli people by and large want an end to the conflict.  It's the Israeli government, which is corrupt and hawkish and seeking endless war for profit

A couple of anecdotes which prove nothing but do indicate that ordinary people can be easily convinced that war is a good thing:

• During the first world war against Germany a great aunt of mine reputedly displayed her patriotism when she threw a stone at a Dachshund and said, "Get home you German mongrel."

• During the second world war my mother worked in a munitions factory. They got high wages and lots of overtime and many of the workers were really pissed off when Germany was defeated and the overtime disappeared. They were hoping the war would never end.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,227 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

When I am appointed as benevolent emperor of the universe I will issue an edict that arms manufacturers must operate as non-profit charities and 50% of their income must go to support refugees and other war victims. Arms would only be legally manufactured by uncompensated volunteer labor.

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new york times, israel, palestine, gaza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users