Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Apatheism and other words

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I thought it might be fun to discuss the words, currently in use by the godless.

Atheist:  I don't believe.  Often confused with

Anti-theist:  I disbelieve.

Agnostic:  I don't know.  Used by intellectual purists, the cowardly and the indecisive.   Three different groups.  Not all the same.

Agnostic Atheist:  I don't know and I don't believe.

Apathetic Agnostic.  I don't know and I don't care.  (The "church" that ordained me.)

Apatheist:  I don't care whether or not God exists.  I rather like this one.  For the people who are so irritated by metaphysics; they can't even by bothered with the questions -- or arguments.  Mostly they want to be left alone.

Brights:  A word advocated by Dan Dennett.  He says that Brights can be used to advocate for Atheism, the same way that "Gay" was used to advance Homosexual rights.  He goes on to distinguish between Dims, Murkys  and Supers.

Secularists:  The Secular

Humanists:  I regard this as a political designation.

Nones:  Much loved by polling groups -- which use the designation differently.

Free Thinker:  An umbrella term.  A bit old fashioned, but still has it's charm.  I have also seen ignorant Christians, try to use the label for themselves.  As in "Free Thinking Christian".   Strangely annoying.   

What did I forget?

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationCanada

Non-believer....

​Un-believer....

​Non-religious....

​Secular....

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Non-believer....

​Un-believer....

​Non-religious....

​Secular....

Is secular different from secularist?

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationCanada

​I wrote secularist too, but thought it was overkill.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Obviously I'm still an Atheist.  Most of the time now, I try to avoid using the word.  It gets me into way too many stupid arguments.  I'm tired of arguing metaphysics.  Life is too short.  I can't be bothered.

Using the Agnostic label has been even more irritating.  The usual response, is to ask what it would take to help me make up my mind.  From the Atheists AND the pious.  It leads to even dumber arguments about what is knowable.

Then there's Apatheism.  I don't care whether or not God exists.  Nothing cuts through the bull shit like Apatheism.  Finally, a stance worth taking.  

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationCanada

I refuse to waste my precious time arging. The topic seldom comes up in my circle, & when it does, I state atheism, & its left at that.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,752 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Obviously I'm still an Atheist.  Most of the time now, I try to avoid using the word.  It gets me into way too many stupid arguments.

Its a shame you have that problem in America. In Australia you can say you're an atheist and nobody cares.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Its a shame you have that problem in America. In Australia you can say you're an atheist and nobody cares.

It's not an everyday occurrence.  When it does happen, the memories linger.  Back in the eighties, when I was taking classes at City College -- I was shopping for groceries.  One of my classmates came up to me -- and said to her roommate -- "This is the Atheist I was telling you about."

Mind you, I live in New York City.  One of the most secular places in America.

It's not like I'm in danger.  I'm not.  But it's so annoying.  Lesser incidents are more common.  

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

I refuse to waste my precious time arging. The topic seldom comes up in my circle, & when it does, I state atheism, & its left at that.

Alas, my impulses get the better of me.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,132 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I also prefer to avoid conversations about theism and in order to squelch them I'm likely to say something shocking and dismissive like "I don't believe in sky monsters."

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

I also prefer to avoid conversations about theism and in order to squelch them I'm likely to say something shocking and dismissive like "I don't believe in sky monsters."

Yes.  I made the mistake of joining some Facebook Atheist groups.  I thought it would be a good place to relax, with other people who are lacking in piety.  It was a mistake.

One Atheist group went over board on PC.  I understood why they didn't allow talking about stupid people.  They thought it was cruel to deal with mental disability in this manner.  I got that.  The last straw was when they forbid anyone to say "Sky Daddy".  Guess how I got myself thrown out?  An Atheist group that won't let me say "Sky Daddy"?  What's the point?

Two of the other groups turned out to be utterly lacking in humor.  When Atheists can't laugh, they are as much of an affliction as any other group.

A small detail in passing.  The Christian shit heads are not the worst thing out there.  The Muslim shit heads are even worse.  It's hard to quantify, but yes.  The Islamic nut jobs are worse than the Christian nut jobs.  Somehow, they're even more crazy and virulent.

The question came up -- yet again, as stupid question do -- If we had to join a religion, under coercion -- which religion would we join?  I said "Agnostic".  I thought it was a funny answer.  I thought it was funny.  They didn't.  I was a Fuster Cluck.  They ganged up on me and I don't mean in discourse.  They were rude, mean, nasty, smug and arrogant about it.   You would think that I had walked into a church and pissed on the altar.

There also wasn't much in the way of intelligent conversation.  It was mostly screaming at the invading Muslim and Christian salvationists.  This is how the groups spent most of their energies.  No fun at all.  I expected the moderators would simply ban the missionaries.  No.  They let the hate filled battles rage on.

This board was a happy find.  It's awful when Atheist groups have crap for brains.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 09 June 2018 - 01:03 PM.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationCanada

​I am in atheistnexus.org, as Patricia, & atheistuniverse.net, as Mrs.B. They are much better than fakebook, even though rather quiet. They contain several groups from pets, to gardening, to food, to politics, to humour,  all kinds of groups.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users