Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When did the word religion come into existence?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Quill

Quill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi, a while back I had thought or learned from somewhere(I don't remember the source) that the word religion did not exist before the European dark ages and before ancient Rome fell OR before religious run societies HOWEVER I saw a YouTube clip of some documentary today about the first atheist philosophers and they said something different. In the documentary for example the narrator makes a quote about one of the quotes that the ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus stated where he mentioned the word religion in that quote as well as others. This is a contradiction so witch is it? did the word religion exist in ancient times before ancient Rome fell? OR did it come into existence after Rome fell? or during the dark ages?

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

start here:

https://www.etymonli...m/word/religion

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users