Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Commodore 64

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,796 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Today I was looking over some of the computer programs I wrote back in the 1980s when I had a Commodore 64, and suddenly remembered a very helpful book which I once owned. It was called "Mathematics On The Commodore 64" and I decided to see if there was a copy available online. There was - at Amazon - for $158 ! (I was expecting it to be about $20).

Actually I still have dozens of other Commodore 64 books in my library, and hundreds of C64 Magazines as well ... I'll have to see if I can get rid of some of them at $158 a throw.

Update:

I checked out some of the titles in my library and they are being sold at Amazon for anything from $2.15 to $99; most at about $18-$25.

On eBay the magazines are selling for about $5 each.

gallery_146_4_125208.jpg

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,648 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Are they being used with functioning C64s, or are they just collectors' items?

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCanada

May as well give it a try.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Pretty cool, Joe.  I think you should pick up some cash selling that old stuff.

Back in the day I was in the Atari camp.

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,796 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Are they being used with functioning C64s, or are they just collectors' items?

I got rid of the computers in the early 1990s when IBM became the standard - can't remember whether I sold them or gave them away.

I kept the books and magazines because the programming algorithms they contained could be easily transferred (usually unchanged) to the QBASIC language used on the IBM computers.

These days I have Liberty BASIC installed on my computer but I rarely use it. Even so, the algorithms in those old C64 books and magazines still work perfectly well with Liberty BASIC (but it's probably 15-20 years since I opened one of those books/mags.)

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,648 posts
I rarely have occasion to write programs nowadays, but when I do, I use C. To expand the category of "program," I also use Bash (a GNU analog of Windows .BAT files) for process control, and POV-Ray SDL, which is a proprietary computer graphics language. C and Bash come standard with GNU/Linux distros.

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,211 posts

HTML and rudimentary PHP are about the limits of my programming skills. I did write a few BASIC programs on the Atari 800XL, stupid stuff like writing a "random" sized block to a "random" location on the screen in a "random" color while making a noise. It was surprisingly non-random and really bad code.

Later I graduated to the 16 bit Atari ST family, and eventually received a free Atari TT from Atari because I was promoting BBS software that could run on the TT.  I kept that until it had an accidental collision with a cement floor, the Atari TT is almost as rare as hen's teeth.

Wikipedia

You can choose to live in peace and harmony with your neighbors, or you can go to church.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,648 posts
Oh, yes, I also do a bit of JavaScript and CSS on occasion. I do HTML, but I've never mentally thought of that as programming.

If I get back into creating Web pages for an online server, I will certainly look into PHP, and possibly PERL, but at the moment, I'm not up to budgeting the energy to learn them.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,211 posts

I do HTML, but I've never mentally thought of that as programming.

It certainly is nothing like writing executable code, if it is programming at all it is just barely so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users