Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vegan in the Restauant

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

For the Vegan in a regular restauant.  What to order?  My suggestion

Raw food salad.

shredded Carrot

diced apple

raisins

walnuts (protein)

Served with a dressing of Apple Cider Vinegar and olive oil.

(Just in case, bring your own walnuts)

Desert

Fresh fruit

What do you think?

Edited by jonathanlobl, 21 July 2018 - 06:01 PM.

• Aging Disgracefully likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,923 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Sounds really good, but I would need something else between the salad and the dessert.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Sounds really good, but I would need something else between the salad and the dessert.

Maybe some avocado?  It's very filling.

If gluten isn't an issue -- I was thinking of Ungodly -- maybe a pasta course.?

Rice with beans or lentils?  

Eggplant with tofu?  

Baked potato?  Hold the butter.  Olive oil.

Brussel sprouts?  It would go with the potato.  

Whole grain pancakes?  It's problematic.  It depends on what they have cooking on the griddle.  Waffles might be safer.    Hold the butter.  Gluten free waffles might be an option.  Trust might be an issue.  

Edited by jonathanlobl, 22 July 2018 - 01:41 AM.

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

Looks good to me, are you a Vegan or going Vegan Jonathan? I'm not a big fan of meat anymore, but I/we eat fish and fowl.

We eat so much chicken we say, we eat fowl, we smell fowl and we talk fowl.  Yuk Yuk, doesn't take much for us to amuse ourselves.

We have been using corn or corn/rice pasta for awhile now, while not gluten intolerant, I do notice I feel better if I don't eat things made out of wall paper paste, I mean processed white flour.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Looks good to me, are you a Vegan or going Vegan Jonathan? I'm not a big fan of meat anymore, but I/we eat fish and fowl.

We eat so much chicken we say, we eat fowl, we smell fowl and we talk fowl.  Yuk Yuk, doesn't take much for us to amuse ourselves.

We have been using corn or corn/rice pasta for awhile now, while not gluten intolerant, I do notice I feel better if I don't eat things made out of wall paper paste, I mean processed white flour.

I was never vegan.  Off and on, I have gone vegetarian.  I'm all right for about six to nine months, then my health falls apart.

Lately, I have been going through food moods.  It's all either disgusting, or unhealthy, or way too expensive.  Frequently, a combination.  My general practitioner ordered me onto a low sodium diet.  That takes the joy out of life.  Now, I'm wondering if tomatoes are flaring my arthritis.  Sugar gives me flare ups.  

Yes.  White flour pasta.  A variety of paste.  Bagels.  Bread.  It's all crap.  But I get hungry.  

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I've lost interests in most salads as I've gotten older. The salad in the OP sounds very nutritious, but I'm happy with beans and rice with a little veg on the side. 

Breakfast (2nd breakfast) just now was a wonderful peach and two slices of GF bread thickly lathered with peanut butter and with a crushed B12 tablet sprinkled on top.
I want a significant source of carbs in every meal.

I've had to add sodium to my diet to resolve low electrolyte trouble. 

Eggplant with tofu? 

All of that sounds wonderful.  Olive oil on a baked potato YES.

Gluten free pasta is readily available in any supermarket, that is no issue.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

I've lost interests in most salads as I've gotten older. The salad in the OP sounds very nutritious, but I'm happy with beans and rice with a little veg on the side. 

Breakfast (2nd breakfast) just now was a wonderful peach and two slices of GF bread thickly lathered with peanut butter and with a crushed B12 tablet sprinkled on top.
I want a significant source of carbs in every meal.

I've had to add sodium to my diet to resolve low electrolyte trouble. 

All of that sounds wonderful.  Olive oil on a baked potato YES.

Gluten free pasta is readily available in any supermarket, that is no issue.

I was reflecting on my vegetarian days.  Gluten free pasta is not a big deal in supermarkets.  In a restaurant, it's an act of faith.  

On the subject of faith, I expect we are on the same page -- Oh godless one.  (I did mean that as a compliment.)

On a side note, I have tried a few brands of gluten free toaster waffles.  Wow, that stuff is awful.  The taste is adequate.  It's got no substance.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 22 July 2018 - 10:23 AM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts

On a side note, I have tried a few brands of gluten free toaster waffles.  Wow, that stuff is awful.  The taste is adequate.  It's got no substance.

The only really good GF toaster waffles are sold by Trader Joe's. They are firm and form a viable substrate for the gobs of peanut butter I apply.  TJ's GF toaster waffles cost less and you get 8 per carton instead of 6.  The most popular brand, Vans, is also the worst, they have the texture of white bread; flexible, floppy and flimsy.

Gluten free pasta is not a big deal in supermarkets.  In a restaurant, it's an act of faith.  

This is why I rarely eat in restaurants. If you boil GF pasta in the same water used for ordinary pasta the chances of cross contamination are very high.

I've only ever been glutened in a restaurant once in over 20 years, in July 2014 in Scotland. In that case it was sot=y sauce that got me. Most brands of soy sauce contain wheat, often there is more wheat than soy. My in laws got to witness one of my hour long sessions of simultaneous explosive emptying from both ends of my digestive system. It was really severe, I seriously asked Terry if he thought I was dying.  Of course I was not in grave danger (intended) it only felt that way.

Don't feel sad for me. Because of my auto-immune disorder I'm forced to make conscious decisions about what to eat, the net effect is a much healthier diet.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

A few years back, I was a paid lab rat in a live in, hospital research study.  They had me on a gluten free diet.  I called the gluten free bread -- the bread of affliction.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts

A few years back, I was a paid lab rat in a live in, hospital research study.  They had me on a gluten free diet.  I called the gluten free bread -- the bread of affliction.

I hear that.  In the last few years some amazingly good GF bread has emerged.  Most of it is horrible though.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

I hear that.  In the last few years some amazingly good GF bread has emerged.  Most of it is horrible though.

The gluten free cookies were good.  Not great, but good.  The bread cracked and turned into crumbs with amazing speed.  The taste was miserable.  

Edited by jonathanlobl, 23 July 2018 - 04:49 AM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts

The gluten free cookies were good.  Not great, but good.  The bread cracked and turned into crumbs with amazing speed.  The taste was miserable.  

If you shop at Wegmans (you lucky bastard) and you want to find some gluten free bread that will not crack or produce crumbs look for Bloomfield Farms bread in the frozen gluten free bread display.  It is completely unlike any other bread I've ever encountered. First of all the nutritional profile of this bread is absolutely horrible. 

Look at the ingredients:

Tapioca starch, which is literally starch

White rice flour, a very starch-full flour

Potato starch, which is literally starch
Corn starch, which is literally starch

Palm oil which makes dogmatic vegans pull their hair
Finally a few of the less than 2% ingredients do have traces of protein
Virtually no fiber at all

This might be the least natural bread ever.

click to enlarge

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 2.49.30 AM  Jul 24, 2018.png

I love it. I don't select it for its nutritional value, rather it is a comfort food for me.  And it enables tomato sandwiches, which completely overcomes all of its flaws.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts

I just noticed that it has evaporated cane juice instead of sugar (ha ha ha).

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

I just noticed that it has evaporated cane juice instead of sugar (ha ha ha).

At least, no high fructose corn syrup.  

Wagman's?  Never heard of them.

Have you tried Amazon.com?  They seem to have everything.  

Edited by jonathanlobl, 24 July 2018 - 03:31 AM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts

At least, no high fructose corn syrup.  

Wagman's?  Never heard of them.

Have you tried Amazon.com?  They seem to have everything.  

It's Wegmans not Wagmans.  I'm startled you have not heard of them, I thought they were all over the greater NYC area.  Wegmans is the world's greatest supermarket chain. They have the best produce, biggest selection of produce, and generally the best of every kind of food item.  Think of Whole Foods but better and much less expensive.  They have the best GF and vegan food items.  Their stores are enormous.

Ironically they are in two areas on the East coast where I have lived, Chester County, PA and Worcester County, MA.

Amazon does not sell Bloomfield Farms bread.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

It's Wegmans not Wagmans.  I'm startled you have not heard of them, I thought they were all over the greater NYC area.  Wegmans is the world's greatest supermarket chain. They have the best produce, biggest selection of produce, and generally the best of every kind of food item.  Think of Whole Foods but better and much less expensive.  They have the best GF and vegan food items.  Their stores are enormous.

Ironically they are in two areas on the East coast where I have lived, Chester County, PA and Worcester County, MA.

Amazon does not sell Bloomfield Farms bread.

Most of the really big stores are not in NYC.  The rent is too high.  

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Foul fowl:

I much prefer whole grain (whole wheat, brown rice) to the processed alternatives. But it’s damn near impossible to find these in restaurants.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts

Maybe some avocado?  It's very filling.

Eggplant with tofu?  

Whole grain pancakes?  It's problematic.  It depends on what they have cooking on the griddle.  Waffles might be safer.    Hold the butter.  Gluten free waffles might be an option.  Trust might be an issue.  

The OP seemed very lacking in carbohydrates.I always like to have a source of carbs in every meal. These ideas are much better. Baked potato seems to go with everything.

Rice with beans is a great combo too.  There are very many brands of gluten free pasta, some are excellent.  Pasta is not off the table.

Thanks for reminding me that we need lentils.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

The OP seemed very lacking in carbohydrates.I always like to have a source of carbs in every meal. These ideas are much better. Baked potato seems to go with everything.

Rice with beans is a great combo too.  There are very many brands of gluten free pasta, some are excellent.  Pasta is not off the table.

Thanks for reminding me that we need lentils.

If we are talking about home cooking -- I like to use the smaller red lentils.  They cook so much faster than the regular lentils.

Have you tried Indian restaurants?  They frequently have vegetarian menus.  I know.  Not vegan, but it's a start.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 05 November 2018 - 05:46 PM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,455 posts

If we are talking about home cooking -- I like to use the smaller red lentils.  They cook so much faster than the regular lentils.

I dee diddly love red lentils! Delicious, nutritious and super easy to cook.  I make Dal Mahkni (sp?) and serve it over rice. Sometimes I add large chunks of celery.

Have you tried Indian restaurants?  They frequently have vegetarian menus.  I know.  Not vegan, but it's a start.

I consider Indian food the safest alternative when traveling, and here at home my favorite restaurant is an Indian place that has a daily buffet lunch. It is all you can eat but I limit myself to one plate per visit. They always have a potato dish like aloo gobi or similar, and they always have dal which as at home I enjoy over rice.  From a nutritional standpoint their food is excellent. 

I love Indian food and they make little use of wheat except in obvious cases like naan.  I often attempt to cook Indian dishes at home and on rare occasions I do seem to hit restaurant quality taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users