Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just What I Wanted

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Nokia 3310 3G – a dumb phone for old farts

Nokia released the 3310, 3G phone in Australia a few months ago and by all reports, it is selling very well to a very specific audience – those that don’t want a smartphone.

Apologies to Nokia for the use of the term ‘dumb’ but this is a big buttoned phone for making and receiving calls and sending the odd text message.

And apologies to old farts – I am one – because this phone appeals to those who just don’t want or need a smartphone and a data plan. This is a phone where a pre-paid SIM will last a very long time.

https://www.gadgetgu...hone-old-farts/

Bugger the smart phones. The dumber the better for me.

People call me. I call people. What else would I want to do?

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm old fart too, & I don't do a whole lot on my Samsung android, but I like it. I have pre-paid SIM, use it to call, & answer calls, texting, games, read my amazon & kobo books, fiddle with wallpapers, check weather, & take photos/videos.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

I was slow to get a smart phone, but by late 2015, I was craving the things that people around me were doing. That Christmas, someone read me well, and got me one as a present. I love it! It also serves as an emergency camera when I forget to charge the battery in my real camera.

After the hurricanes last year, that smart phone was a lifeline. It was my only means of communication for more than 4 months. For the first 2 weeks, I could only make phone calls, because my car outlet didn't work, and even then, the signals were spotty. Then Maria hit, and the entire network went down, and I was completely incommunicado for the next 2 weeks. Eventually, my carrier said they would not charge for roaming, allowing me to use a competitor's network, and the local utility set up some Wi-Fi hotspots so I could finally use the Internet and find out what was going on in the rest of the world, outside of what was in the local paper. I didn't get electricity until 4 months after the first storm, and I got home Internet a week later.

One of the first things I did in October was look up Hurricanes Irma and Maria on Wikipedia. Bad idea; I wasn't ready for that emotional wallop.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationCanada

I can't imagine what you went through, or the wallop you got when you started getting info! I'm just very glad you weren't hurt, or worse!

That was about my timeline too when I got my smartphone. My grocery store was giving coupons through their app that weren't in the paper, & being on pension, we have to save wherever we can. They just scan the phone at the checkout.....no paper involved.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

I once bought a food product, and didn’t notice until I got home that the cooking instructions were accessible only via a smart phone QR code. That’s taking technology gratuitously far. (Sort of like power windows on cars, which break down often and don’t work unless the key is in the ignition. Old fashioned hand-cranked car windows don’t have these problems. And computerized voting, which is eminently hackable, and see also Johnson County Kansas.)

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationCanada

New & modern doesn't always mean better.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users