Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

univeristies and religion in history

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Quill

Quill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi again, got another question .Was the first university's in the middle ages and in ancient times all religious education and any edjucation that was not supported by the church or religion was not allowed or illegal to be tought as it was considered blasphemy or witchcraft? The first known universities existed more then 3000 years before midevil European universities for example in ancient india.

Quill

Quill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi, I see my question has still not been answered so that makes me think no one knows it here. Anyone reading this if your a member on this forum, please answer if you know or if you know a lagit source that answers my question or the right source where I can ask. All give this thread one more week before I ask else ware on the net, sorry I am growing impatient, I know should be more patient. I tried to find the answer on the net but I could not find it anywhere thus why I am asking here. I would ask in the history forum as I am a member of however because there not all atheists historians or not all historians at all, I don't trust anything the non atheist historians would tell me regarding my question. I also want to add what I mean by any education not supported by the church or religion for example is logic, rational/rational thinking, critical thinking, skepticism, science, philosophy things like that. 

Edited by Quill, 24 November 2018 - 02:30 PM.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,923 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

I also want to add what I mean by any education not supported by the church or religion for example is logic, rational/rational thinking, critical thinking, skepticism, science, philosophy things like that. 

In the ancient world, several regions developed traditions of scholarship. In the Indian subcontinent, Pushpagiri and Nalanda were two well known centers of higher education. These institutions were devoted to Buddhist teaching but also trained individuals in arts, medicine, mathematics, and astronomy. Even politics, or something comparable to political science, or political theory, was taught at these academies. Earlier Hindu higher learning cetnres, such as Taxilia, also inducted students. This place became associated with one of the earliest economic treatises known to us, a text call the Arthashastra, which also discussed other topics as well, such as political statecraft.

https://dailyhistory...sities_develop?

Until the end of the 18th century, most Western universities offered a core curriculum based on the seven liberal arts: grammar, logic, rhetoric, geometry, arithmetic, astronomy, and music. Students then proceeded to study under one of the professional faculties of medicine, law, and theology. Final examinations were grueling, and many students failed.
https://www.britanni...opic/university

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users