Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

From Saudi Arabia; the Heart of Islam

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

The story keeps getting worse.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

I don’t put this on Islam. I put this on the Saudi dictatorship.

• Frozenwolf150 likes this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

I don’t put this on Islam. I put this on the Saudi dictatorship.

Normally, I would agree.  Saudi Arabia is not any Islamic country.  Mecca is in Saudi Arabia.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Normally, I would agree.  Saudi Arabia is not any Islamic country.  Mecca is in Saudi Arabia.

That’s not Mecca’s fault. The house of Saud seized the place less than a century ago, and decided unilaterally that they would be the guardians of the whole damn religion.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

That’s not Mecca’s fault. The house of Saud seized the place less than a century ago, and decided unilaterally that they would be the guardians of the whole damn religion.

It was the Prophet Mohamed -- Piss be upon him -- who made Mecca central to "the whole damn religion".  That makes it hard to untangle.  Is the Islamic World up in arms, over who controls Mecca?  No.  They are not.  Pilgrimage is still an obligation.  

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

What I've noticed is that this story has caused extremely selective outrage from the US mainstream media.  The media gave the Saudis a pass for murdering 3,000 US citizens on Sep 11, 2001.  It mostly ignores the genocide in Yemen which has killed as many as 80,000 people and caused a cholera outbreak affecting over 1 million.  It doesn't talk much about the Saudi role in the Syrian Civil War which has killed upwards of half a million people, with the Saudis supplying arms to the rebel groups that consist primarily of Islamic extremists.  Rarely will you hear it discussed how the Saudis are the primary exporters of radical Wahabbism and Salafism, with schools around the world that teach their violent hatred.  Or how the Saudis carry out public beheadings; torture and execute dissidents, apostates, and atheists; and are among the worst human rights violators in the world.  But now that the Saudis murdered a journalist, other mainstream journalists finally take notice and go, "Oh shit, we're journalists too!  That could have been one of us!"

Yet the outrage is even selective when it comes to reporting on journalists the Saudis have killed.  While all the attention was focused on this one story, most of the media flat out ignored that the Saudis tortured another journalist to death for daring to expose their human rights abuses.

It's no secret that the Saudis have deep investments in the US.  This article lists some, but barely scratches the surface.  The fact is that the Saudis actually have influence over the majority of US media companies, something conspiracy theorists typically blame on "the Jews."  Due to media consolidation, six companies now own 90% of US media: GE, NewsCorp, Disney, Time Warner, Viacom, and CBS.  All six of them have a history of doing business with the Saudis (this you can look up yourself).  So it's highly doubtful the Saudis would take too kindly to any mainstream outlets talking shit about them.

Now, if this story finally gets US companies to divest from Saudi Arabia, then maybe some good can come of it.  However, I doubt the US will take any kind of action.  Trump himself has vehemently defended the Saudis, just as Obama, Bush, and Clinton did, saying that we need their oil and the multi-billion dollar weapons deal he made with them.

No, we don't.

• Cousin Ricky and Joe Bloe like this

The new Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: Massacre a crowd of civilians, draw a target around them, and declare they were all terrorists.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Thank you.  Well done.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,456 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

However, I doubt the US will take any kind of action.  Trump himself has vehemently defended the Saudis, just as Obama, Bush, and Clinton did, saying that we need their oil and the multi-billion dollar weapons deal he made with them.

Tweety McEvil has already given them the green light to kill more journalists using his favorite technique, denial of reality. Of course all of his know nothings will  agree because only facts might make them otherwise disagree.

The US government can not be expected to act on a moral basis.

• Aging Disgracefully likes this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

Tweety McEvil has already given them the green light to kill more journalists using his favorite technique, denial of reality. Of course all of his know nothings will  agree because only facts might make them otherwise disagree.

The US government can not be expected to act on a moral basis.

Amen to that brother!  The US Goobermint is morally bankrupt.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,923 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

There's good and bad on both sides.

After all, Saudi Arabia is a member of the United Nations Human Rights Commission - and the UN ain't taking shit from anyone.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

There's good and bad on both sides.

After all, Saudi Arabia is a member of the United Nations Human Rights Commission - and the UN ain't taking shit from anyone.

I know.  It's like having all the foxes of the world form an army -- to protect the world's chickens.  I think China is part of the same commission.

Saudi Arabia is trying to force their blasphemy legislation, into the UN.  You know.  To protect Human Rights.

President Trump is not likely to oppose the UN on this matter.  His Evangelical base, which puts the mental in Fundamental, would not be happy.

I can't decide which hurts more.  Being told that we need Saudi Arabia to buy our weapons -- which are being used for atrocity -- to protect American jobs -- or being told that we need Saudi Arabia to help us in the war against Terrorism.

When Saudi Arabia falls -- there will be hell to pay.  We never seem to learn anything from history.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 26 November 2018 - 06:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users