Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chiropractic Under Attack

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I have mixed feeling about this.  I've benefited from Chiropractic.

https://mail.yahoo.c...XCpt1glK6K2NHRA

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationCanada

Did nothing for me, but my husband did fine.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

I had a frozen shoulder years ago and had an appointment at the medical centre.

Told the girl at the front desk, "I'm here to see the chiropractor".

"Physiotherapist," she snapped.

Until that moment I didn't know they were two different things.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

The AMA hates Chiropractic.  I'm less than clear about why.

Still --

WWW.QUACKWATCH.COM

The AMA hates Chiropractic.  I'm less than clear about why.

Still --

www.QuackWatch.com

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,633 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Chiropractic is based on the false notion that all diseases are related to skeletal issues. It is at best pseudo-science.

While it may be true that some people see improvement in some conditions after seeing a chiropractor that does not negate the fact that chiropractic is based on a 100% false notion.

More recently chiropractors tend to back away from the most easily disproved claims of the early days, many simply spew general new age BS.  No matter how much they de-emphasize the falsehoods that form the basis any body of thought with a foundation of bullshit can not be called a science.

There is also the unfortunate fact that chiropractors sometimes injure and even occasionally kill patients by messing with their spinal cord in the cervical region.

Some proponents, especially those in the field's early history, have claimed that such disorders affect general health via the nervous system,[2] through vertebral subluxation, claims which are demonstrably false.

The same review concluded that the risk of death from manipulations to the neck outweighs the benefits.

Wikipedia

On the other hand there are millions of anecdotal reports of miraculous improvements from people visiting chiropractors, so it is not an instant death situation - usually.

My personal choice is taking my chances with evidence based western medicine and that is working for me. Others make different choices and that's OK.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,633 posts

This seems to be a link to your email account. I expect it won't work for anyone not logged in as you.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,633 posts

History of Chiropractic from Wikipedia

Chiropractic was founded in 1895 by Daniel David (D.D.) Palmer in Davenport, Iowa. Palmer, a magnetic healer, hypothesized that manual manipulation of the spine could cure disease.[215] The first chiropractic patient of D.D. Palmer was Harvey Lillard, a worker in the building where Palmer's office was located.[37] He claimed that he had severely reduced hearing for 17 years, which started soon following a "pop" in his spine.[37] A few days following his adjustment, Lillard claimed his hearing was almost completely restored.[37] Chiropractic competed with its predecessor osteopathy, another medical system based on magnetic healing and bonesetting; both systems were founded by charismatic midwesterners in opposition to the conventional medicine of the day,

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

I'm well aware that the science behind Chiropractic is crap.  Still, there were times when it seemed to help.  Nothing long term and far from miracle, but it seemed to help.  That was over 20 years ago.

Now, I'm seeing a Rheumatologist.  On her advice, I took up Tai Chi.  It helps a lot.  She also sends me to physical therapy, which I suspect, is safer than Chiropractic.

Science aside, the reason I stopped Chiropractic, was over time, I got less benefit.  If it had done more for me, I would have continued.

On a side note, I have been experimenting with my prescribed medications.  Taking and not taking.  What really helps is the cinnamon and the vitamin D3.  Maybe the ginger.  I'm still evaluating.  

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,633 posts

My son has recommended Tai Chi to me, but the problem with going to classes is that there will be people there. I'm aware that it is useful for improving balance and agility, I prolly would look into it were it not for my strong preference to avoid humans.  I have nothing in particular against humans except that they cause so much trouble.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationCanada

My son has recommended Tai Chi to me, but the problem with going to classes is that there will be people there. I'm aware that it is useful for improving balance and agility, I prolly would look into it were it not for my strong preference to avoid humans.  I have nothing in particular against humans except that they cause so much trouble.

Not a people person either. I have tai chi type dvd's for use at home.....if I could stand up long enough to do anything that is...….

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

I’m not a people person either, but I’m trying to change that because not being a people person causes me mental distress.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationCanada

I get stressed, & very uncomfortable around most people, & am much better with only a few, & not at all times.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

That makes learning Tai Chi a challenge.  There are instructional videos on You tube.  Still, that is a difficult way to learn.  Given this limitation, I think you might be better off pursuing Yoga.

Yoga is also better with a teacher, but the basics are easier.  IMO.

I live in New York City.  We have different temperments.  Tai Chi works for me.  You might need something very different.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 01 January 2019 - 08:31 PM.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

I get stressed, & very uncomfortable around most people, & am much better with only a few, & not at all times.

Just so.  If you can't, you can't.  If you can't, you also might be better off, pursuing Yoga.

The real benefits of any exercise program, come with independent practice.  I think you will find Yoga more easy to learn and more easy to practice.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have some yoga videos too, & was doing some until my hips got too painful.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

I’m not a people person either, but I’m trying to change that because not being a people person causes me mental distress.

I think it's good to be oriented towards people. It's not like we have the standard invisible friend.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

I have some yoga videos too, & was doing some until my hips got too painful.

Have you tried breath work, without the stretching?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,633 posts

I've heard of special yoga classes for people with mobility or pain issues. I don't imagine it is very common.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationCanada

I do stretching, but not from the standing positions, & I can't twist, or bend the hip area without incredible pain. I stretch my upper body, & my calf muscles & down to my feet.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

I've heard of special yoga classes for people with mobility or pain issues. I don't imagine it is very common.

To the contrary.  There are hospital programs -- and private instructors -- who work with different people with a variety of disability and rehabilitation issues.

I actually teach Dr. Paul Lam's Tai Chi for Arthritis program -- at my local senior center.  The seated version of the program.  For people with Arthritis, who are not suited for the standing version.

I'm working towards my certification.  

Yoga has been widely adapted, for people with many limiting conditions.  "Chair Yoga" is common.  My senior center has that as well.  I take classes as a student.  It helps.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 02 January 2019 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users