Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Study Links Fundamentalism With Brain Damage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,692 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

There seems to be a correlation between a specific type of brain damage and religious fundamentalism.

The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness

Raw Story 

Sometimes finding a correlation points to causation, for example if you are unable to use critical thinking you might end up believing ancient fairy tales used to justify bigotry and oppression.

Such a polite way to point out the stupidity of fundies.

• Aging Disgracefully and JadeBlackOlive like this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

There seems to be a correlation between a specific type of brain damage and religious fundamentalism.

Raw Story

Sometimes finding a correlation points to causation, for example if you are unable to use critical thinking you might end up believing ancient fairy tales used to justify bigotry and oppression.

Such a polite way to point out the stupidity of fundies.

If I understood the analysis -- damage to the prefrontal lobes is associated with Fundamentalism.  Not a causal relationship. An association.  Like smoking and lung cancer, in the preliminary studies.

It does not say, that Fundamentalism causes damage to the brain -- but that brain damage may incline towards Fundamentalism.

Still, 20% is a high figure.  This suggests that treatment might be possible.  In which case, there are issues of both medical ethics and civil liberties.  Suppose, for instance, China announced a program, of surgical intervention, in order to treat or prevent religion.  At minimum, China could conduct brain scans, to discredit religious trouble makers or subversives.

On the other hand, this sort of study really feeds into my own bias.  I'm not sure I should trust my own reaction.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 09 January 2019 - 07:08 PM.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

https://www.patheos....&utm_content=44

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,692 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

or fundamentalism is a self-protective behaviour when cognitive flexibility is not available

This. Lots of this. Fundamentalism seems to me in my encounters with Homo Sapiens to be closely tied to the inability to use logic to solve problems. 

If a person can not think clearly they seem to be more likely to hold fundamentalist views. If a person holds fundamentalist views they seem less likely to be able to think clearly.

In my career as a troubleshooter 100% of my fundamentalist peers were significantly less able to successfully do tech repairs/support tasks.  They mostly were nice people, just not techies by nature.

Nerds, who are famous for being able to solve technical problems, seem very unlikely to be fundamentalists.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

This. Lots of this. Fundamentalism seems to me in my encounters with Homo Sapiens to be closely tied to the inability to use logic to solve problems. 

If a person can not think clearly they seem to be more likely to hold fundamentalist views. If a person holds fundamentalist views they seem less likely to be able to think clearly.

In my career as a troubleshooter 100% of my fundamentalist peers were significantly less able to successfully do tech repairs/support tasks.  They mostly were nice people, just not techies by nature.

Nerds, who are famous for being able to solve technical problems, seem very unlikely to be fundamentalists.

To my understanding, this lack of "cognitive flexibility" means "authoritarian personality."   

People who don't think clearly, like to follow a leader to do their thinking for them. 

So, they like Fundamentalism, because the clergy give them simple answers for everything.  Nice simple dogmatic answers, that they can make their own.

In politics, they also like nice simple dogmatic answers, given by a "strong"  authoritarian leader.

Is it a coincidence, that Trump's Power Base, is Fundamentalists?  I doubt it.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 16 January 2019 - 06:29 AM.

Tom in Napa

Tom in Napa

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCali - near SF - fornia
Re authoritarianism:

About 16% of Americans are “hard” authoritarians and about 16% are “soft” authoritarians, said a sociologist I was chatting with early in Reagan’s term as president.

Since then I’ve often noticed that polls regularly report that at least 33% of Americans support conservative candidates and policies. I have not looked for academic studies on this subject.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Re authoritarianism:

About 16% of Americans are “hard” authoritarians and about 16% are “soft” authoritarians, said a sociologist I was chatting with early in Reagan’s term as president.

Since then I’ve often noticed that polls regularly report that at least 33% of Americans support conservative candidates and policies. I have not looked for academic studies on this subject.

I have heard Conservative Republicans, make speeches, for as long as I've been an adult.  I can't say what the Republican Party has turned into -- or what Trump is -- but sure as shit, it is not Conservative.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 20 March 2019 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users