Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Life Is Full Of Surprises

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

About ten years ago I had a frozen shoulder which lasts through three phases, each phase being 6 to 9 months long:

(1) Severe pain

(2) No pain but extremely limited movement

(3) Slow (painless) recovery

So about a month ago I had the same sort of pain and figured it was yet another frozen shoulder. I already knew from past experience that there is no cure - you just have to go through the phases and that's all there is to it.

So I settled in for nine months of pain.

But then the pain moved to my upper arm, then my lower arm, and last week my fingers got very weak.

So now I knew it wasn't a frozen shoulder and quickly booked a meeting with the doctor. She was immediately concerned and sent me for X-rays at the hospital across the road. After seeing the results, she became even more concerned and sent me back to the hospital for CT scans.

Long story short - by the end of the day I was diagnosed with lung cancer.

Life is full of surprises.

I'm  pretty sure I'll be home by Sunday, so I'll wait until then before I add more details to this thread (at the moment I'm using a borrowed computer so I can't use it for long).

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCanada

Well that's shocking news for you! I hope they found it early.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,692 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Not good, I hope our modern medical science gets you sorted right out!

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

It's Saturday and I'm still in hospital (on a borrowed computer) so it looks like I won't be going home Sunday.

Well that's shocking news for you! I hope they found it early.

Not good, I hope our modern medical science gets you sorted right out!

Actually I've had emphysema for about the last eight years and it has been getting progressively worse (no cure) and I already need care workers to do my shopping and mop the floors, etc. I know what the final stages will be like so I decided (years ago) not to do anything to prolong my life. For example, if I had some sort of medical episode the rule would be "Do Not Resucitate".

Having just told you that, you won't be surprised when I tell you that I have already told the doctors that I don't want chemo-therapy or anything like that for my lung cancer. All I want is pain relief and nothing else. The doctors say I've got about 12 months.

If there was a chance of a cure and a return to normal life then I would probably take the chemo-therapy, but in my current situation, even if the lung cancer is cured, the emphysema is still going to get me. There's no point in getting an extra six months of life if I'm so buggered that I (literally) can't even wipe my own arse :)

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCanada

Well hopefully you will be kept comfortable.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

Well hopefully you will be kept comfortable.

I think everything will be OK in the "comfort" department. In fact I wouldn't mind moving into the hospital full time - the meals are delicious! (and I don't have to do the washing up).

Also we have a brilliant social security system in Australia so I don't have to consider the costs of treatment. If I need something I get it immediately - for free. The only thing I will have to pay for is prescription medicine (pain killers mostly) and that's only $5 per prescription.

• Cousin Ricky and JadeBlackOlive like this

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sounds good. Very glad I don't live in the US myself, & I'm sure you feel the same.

I'm having the second hip replacement Monday morning.

• Cousin Ricky likes this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,692 posts

I think everything will be OK in the "comfort" department. In fact I wouldn't mind moving into the hospital full time - the meals are delicious! (and I don't have to do the washing up).

Also we have a brilliant social security system in Australia so I don't have to consider the costs of treatment. If I need something I get it immediately - for free. The only thing I will have to pay for is prescription medicine (pain killers mostly) and that's only $5 per prescription.

I can't find the words for how deeply sad I feel.  We've been friends for more than a decade and in all that time I've respected your wisdom and sharp perception.

Sounds good. Very glad I don't live in the US myself, & I'm sure you feel the same.

You too! Let's take good care of you.  I know you'll be back up as soon as they let you.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks, UG.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

Second hip replacement --- you're getting to be an old hand at this procedure. I wish you all the best.

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

I've just discovered that I have full internet access right at my hospital bed. Pull down the screen and press the internet button. Fantastic. No need to borrow somebody else's computer.

• Ungodly, Cousin Ricky, Aging Disgracefully and 1 other like this

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks very much.

The hospital I'll be in has no internet, so I'll be offline from Monday to Thursday or Friday.

Yeah, repeat performance for me, so I know the drill, that's for sure.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,692 posts

The hospital I was stuck in in Hawaii had Internet service but it was so slow it was virtually useless, I was forced to use the hotspot on my phone which was only slightly less useless.

Both of you take good care of yourselves!

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks, UG. Will do.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

Thanks very much.

The hospital I'll be in has no internet, so I'll be offline from Monday to Thursday or Friday.

Yeah, repeat performance for me, so I know the drill, that's for sure.

The hospital I was stuck in in Hawaii had Internet service but it was so slow it was virtually useless, I was forced to use the hotspot on my phone which was only slightly less useless.

Both of you take good care of yourselves!

this is a brand new hospital  so all mod cons

• Ungodly likes this

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

Just found this on the Mayo Clinic website:

Coping with shortness of breath

Many people with lung cancer experience shortness of breath at some point in the course

of the disease. Treatments such as supplemental oxygen and medications are available to

help you feel more comfortable, but they aren't always enough.

To cope with shortness of breath, it may help to:

Try to relax. Feeling short of breath can be scary. But fear and anxiety only make it harder

to breathe. When you begin to feel short of breath, try to manage the fear by choosing an

activity that helps you relax. Listen to music, imagine your favorite vacation spot, meditate

or say a prayer.

https://www.mayoclin...nt/drc-20374627

"say a prayer" :-)

Edited by Joe Bloe, 06 March 2019 - 12:20 AM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,692 posts

I think we can say that the effects of prayer are confined to the praying person.  It's like the placebo effect in a way, if a person finds something very silly to be relaxing it will help them relax.

• Cousin Ricky likes this

Aging Disgracefully

Aging Disgracefully

Devil's Parsley Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationThe Geezer Plateau

Oh Joe I'm so ashamed for not seeing this thread, I'm very sorry to read of your lung cancer. I can only hope you will be kept comfortable and can remain so. I can totally understand your feeling about not wanting chemo etc. I'm at a loss for words. 

Jade good luck with your other hip replacement.

When my people come to colonize this planet, your names will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCanada

If prayer worked, we wouldn't have cancers to start with!

Going home tomorrow with new hip.

• Ungodly, Joe Bloe and Aging Disgracefully like this

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

Oh Joe I'm so ashamed for not seeing this thread, I'm very sorry to read of your lung cancer. I can only hope you will be kept comfortable and can remain so. I can totally understand your feeling about not wanting chemo etc. I'm at a loss for words.

It's easy enough to miss a thread; don't worry about it.

No chemo for me, but I am starting radiation-therapy today. The doctors think five sessions will be enough to shrink the cancer and relieve some of the pain it is causing (but no chance of a cure because it has already spread too far).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users