Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ash Wednesday (March 6, 2019)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Each year, Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent and is always 46 days before Easter Sunday. Lent is a 40-day season (not counting Sundays) marked by repentance, fasting, reflection, and ultimately celebration. The 40-day period represents Christ’s time of temptation in the wilderness, where he fasted and where Satan tempted him. Lent asks believers to set aside a time each year for similar fasting, marking an intentional season of focus on Christ’s life, ministry, sacrifice, and resurrection.
[...]
Have you ever noticed how once a year, usually in February or March, there are a lot of people walking around with an ash cross on their foreheads? You probably knew it had something to do with Lent, but you weren’t sure why the ash cross was significant.

https://www.christia...lebrate-it.html

So Christians go out in public with a cross on their forehead to show other people that they (the Christians) are fasting.

Meanwhile the bible says:

And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces

so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward.

But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be

seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret

will reward you. (Matthew 6:16-18)

I know it's rude, but I can't help laughing whenever I see a gullible Christian jumping through hoops like a trained dog which hasn't got a clue about what is really going on.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,800 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

What’s more, this very Buybull passage is proclaimed every Ash Wednesday in every Catholic church across the world. It’s as if they’re challenging the congregation to compartmentalize and rationalize. (And they do.)

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I was going to say something snarky.  I can't.  The practice is such an obvious self parody -- there's nothing left for me to say.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,691 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I think it is only Catholics that do this particular stupid thing.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

I think it is only Catholics that do this particular stupid thing.

No, more than that:

https://en.wikipedia...erving_churches

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

It is faith based.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,691 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

So I was not only wrong, I was incorrect too!

I'd hate to have a Drs appointment on Ash Wednesday and see the person who is going to diagnose me with ashes on their forehead.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

So I was not only wrong, I was incorrect too!

I'd hate to have a Drs appointment on Ash Wednesday and see the person who is going to diagnose me with ashes on their forehead.

I think you're getting lost in Catholic cultural activities.  It's what Catholics do.  It's not a lot of profound thought.  Just culture.

Consider what goes on during Valentine's Day.  All that celebration of Cupid and his arrows.  We know that Cupid was/is a Greek god.  That his mother was Venus.  Another Greek god -- and one of the more prominent members of the pantheon.  Do Catholics know this?  If they do know it, do they care?

Seriously, if they can honor the Greek gods -- so what if they ignore Jesus on the subject of fasting.  It's all culture and it doesn't matter.  It's just what they do.  Primitive and silly -- but not important.

[smilie=happyspin.gif] 

Edited by jonathanlobl, 06 March 2019 - 06:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users