Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Protect the Whistleblowers

- - - - - chelsea manning edward snowden julian assange aoc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

A month ago, Chelsea Manning was ordered back to jail for refusing to testify a second time against WikiLeaks and Julian Assange.

https://www.nytimes....leaks-jail.html

She was being held in solitary confinement, which is classified as a form of torture.  This prompted AOC to speak out.

https://freebeacon.c...whistleblowing/

For anyone who doesn't know my stance on this, Chelsea Manning is an American hero.  She exposed war crimes committed by the US military in Iraq, which is something everyone has a right to know.  As a result, she was tortured and imprisoned, until Obama commuted the sentence at the very end of his presidency.  She continues to be a favorite target of right wingers, who label her a traitor due to their Iraq War apologetics, and purposely use the wrong pronouns due to their transphobia.

Where was the outrage from corporate Dems who once claimed to be opposed to the Iraq War, and who constantly run on identity politics?  Or what about Donald Trump, who claimed he would support the LGBT community, claimed he was against the Iraq War, and sang praises of WikiLeaks throughout his campaign?

Whistleblowers need to be protected, but they are often vilified by the mainstream media, the GOP, and the corporate Democrats.  Edward Snowden exposed the truth about NSA spying, and was forced to flee the country.  Many neocons have called for his execution, including Mike Pompeo.  Julian Assange has published many leaked documents, including those exposing the crimes of the Bush administration and the corruption of the DNC.  He's been living under house arrest in the Ecuadorian embassy since 2012, and both major parties in the US hate him.  Keep in mind that WikiLeaks is the only journalistic organization that has never had to retract or correct a story because of false information.

The only good news has been that Chelsea Manning was finally released from solitary confinement.

https://thehill.com/...finement-report

I hope she makes it out of this okay, because she was already struggling with PTSD from her previous experiences with torture.

The new Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: Massacre a crowd of civilians, draw a target around them, and declare they were all terrorists.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I'm a Democrat because there is no place for me in the G.O.P.  (Party of God)

I'm not a happy Democrat.  It is simply that there is no place else to go.

• Cousin Ricky and Frozenwolf150 like this
Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

And today I woke up to this news.

https://www.npr.org/...ested-in-london

Good journalists are like good cops: incredibly rare, and never last long.

It's sickening to see the mainstream media outlets practically celebrating this.  Don't they realize they're shooting themselves in the foot?  If it's illegal for WikiLeaks to publish leaked documents about war crimes in Iraq, then it was also illegal for the NY Times to do the same in 1971 with the Pentagon Papers.

The new Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: Massacre a crowd of civilians, draw a target around them, and declare they were all terrorists.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

And today I woke up to this news.

https://www.npr.org/...ested-in-london

Good journalists are like good cops: incredibly rare, and never last long.

It's sickening to see the mainstream media outlets practically celebrating this.  Don't they realize they're shooting themselves in the foot?  If it's illegal for WikiLeaks to publish leaked documents about war crimes in Iraq, then it was also illegal for the NY Times to do the same in 1971 with the Pentagon Papers.

Yes, but the New York Times is rich and powerful. Don’t you see the difference?

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chelsea manning, edward snowden, julian assange, aoc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users