Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

This Is How It Is Done

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

The banning of a range of rifles will become law in New Zealand less than a month after

the massacre that prompted the swift change.

In Parliament on Wednesday night, MPs of all political persuasions overwhelmingly voted

in favour of The Arms (Prohibited Firearms, Magazines and parts) Amendment Bill after

its crucial third reading.

The law, which needs Royal Assent, will become law by the end of the week. It will mean

there will be a ban on all semi-automatic and military-style weapons, such as those used

during the Christchurch terrorist attack that killed 50 and injured dozens.

https://www.theage.c...410-p51cz8.html

• Aging Disgracefully and JadeBlackOlive like this
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,703 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

It can happen this way, the way it should be, if you have a case where a legislature cares more about citizens than "campaign donations" from the Gun Manufacturer's Marketing Agency (NRA).

Ah, campaign donations - a legal form of bribery, innit?

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

See!!!! It CAN be done!!!! Excellent, NZ!

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Wave the 2nd Amendment around, and then wave some dollars around so that no one actually reads the 2nd Amendment.

“... well regulated...”

How many gun nuts can tell you the source these words? Let me give them context:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, ...”

I bet few gun nuts can even say where these words came from!

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

I actually disagree with both sides on the issue of guns, specifically the proposed assault weapons ban.  It won't work the same way in the US that it might in New Zealand or Australia, and there are a few reasons why.

The first is that there are already more guns than citizens in the US.  Too many people have too many guns, and making them illegal isn't going to solve the problem.  It will just turn a lot of law abiding citizens into criminals overnight, which is shades of Prohibition or the War on Drugs.  This is not something that can be safely or effectively enforced, because it would pit law enforcement against citizens with guns, which would escalate the problem of police violence.  The vast majority of gun owners are little more than hunters, hobbyists, and collectors; not terrorists.  Criminalizing them would paint them all as terrorists, for the actions of a few, and that's not something I could ever support.

The second is that assault weapons are very poorly defined.  The most popular gun classified as an assault weapon is the AR-15, which depending on the caliber of round, is actually a low-to-medium powered weapon.  If you ban those, people will just go to the next most popular type of rifle, which is typically a 30.06 hunting rifle like the M1 Garand.  Hunting is one of the main reasons people own a gun, hence its widespread use.  A 30.06 is a high powered round, and if a mass shooter decided to use them by firing into a crowd, he wouldn't just kill those in front.  He would kill the entire line of people in the path of the bullet.

The third is that such a ban would make the problem it's trying to solve much worse, by driving guns to the black market where they can be produced and purchased much more cheaply.  The military full auto variant of the AR-15 is the M-16.  You can legally purchase an M-16, but it costs more than ten times as much as the semi auto AR-15.  If these guns are pushed to the black market, the manufacturers are going to favor the full auto receiver of the M-16, which would certainly be deadlier than the AR-15.

The fourth is that, in terms of policy, an assault weapons ban amounts to a tiny bandage on a gaping wound.  The actual reasons for gun violence in the US have to do with toxic masculinity and the ingrained belief in our society that the gun makes the man.  This is a cultural thing, primarily driven by our heavily militarized society.  In the US we're brainwashed into idolizing the troops and supporting every war of aggression the US wages.  This is the reason the AR-15 is so popular, because it's similar to the M-16 used by the US military.  It makes you look and feel like a soldier defending freedom, which is just a stupid power fantasy.  Consider how every corporate media outlet endlessly pushes war propaganda.  Consider how every establishment politician preaches support for the troops.  Gun violence is framed as a goal to which young men should aspire, and not a harmful outcome to be avoided.

I'm saying all this as a pacifist who doesn't own any guns, and should never own guns because of my mental illness.  I don't have personal stake in this political dispute.  But I care about the rights of others, and don't want to see half-measures that would only exacerbate the problem.

The best way to curtail gun violence is to rein in the main perpetrator of gun violence in the world, which is the US military.  End the wars.

The new Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy: Massacre a crowd of civilians, draw a target around them, and declare they were all terrorists.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,703 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

In the US we're brainwashed into idolizing the troops and supporting every war of aggression the US wages.

Yes, yes, yes.

A simplified way of putting it is that the gun problem in the US exists because people believe it is desirable to own a gun.

Depending on the type of gun and its intended use this is likely to be wrong.

While I agree that laws alone will never solve our gun problem I do not see broad problems with gun control. I see no legitimate reason for private ownership of handguns or semi-automatic rifles. Unfortunately being prepared to kill someone makes a person more likely to kill someone. That is not a good result.

I'm convinced that our SCOTUS has incorrectly interpreted the 2nd amendment. I can not believe our founding fathers envisioned a heavily armed populace as the route to peace and prosperity.

The primary problem, as you seem to suggest, is that too many Americans *want* to have a gun.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users