Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Divine Mercy, Disproportionality, and My Deconversion

- - - - - deconversion Divine Mercy Sunday HRCC morality proportionality faith

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Today is Divine Mercy Sunday in the Roman Catholic Church. My mom, who was watching a mass on TV (after having earlier attended a mass in person—she can’t get enough of them) was “considerate” enough to remind me of this.

I know very well what today is. It was a Divine Mercy Sunday service in 2002 that delivered a shock to my sense of morality. A booklet on how to make a good confession was passed out, and in it I learned:

• Masturbation is a mortal sin (i.e., you will burn in hell forever unless you relate the juicy details to a priest, including how many times you did it).
  • Too much yard work on a Sunday will also send you to hell.
  • But failing to defend the Christian faith is only a venial sin! I could abandon other souls to eternal torment, then forgive myself just by talking to myself in my head!

This seemed to me the inverse of proportionality. I quickly checked the inside front cover of the booklet to be sure, and there were the magic Latin words, “NIHIL OBSTAT” and “IMPRIMATUR.” You ex-devout Catholics know what that means. There was no weaseling out of this.

That shock turned out to be a fatal wound to my faith. It took another 3.4 years for my faith to slip away: wrestling with my conscience; fearing the 7 demons that were attacking me (yes, literally); reluctantly accepting my sister’s request to become her daughter’s godfather in the hope that it would reinvigorate my faith; fearing my eternal fate if my 2003 overflight of Antarctica should go down in the icy wilderness; wondering if the RCC was as in touch with God as I thought it was; discovering philosophical skepticism; and eventually wondering if there was any god at all.

I told my mom that I knew what day it was, that in fact it was special to me because it triggered my loss of faith. She responded “reassuringly” that divine mercy is still real. She still speaks to me as if I buy into her premises, and am just in defiant denial of the plainly obvious Truth; I don’t even think she is capable of grasping the concept of me not accepting basic Christian premises. What could I do but roll my eyes?

• Ungodly and JadeBlackOlive like this
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,688 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Well written, your courtesy and family loyalty shine through as usual.

• JadeBlackOlive likes this

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive

Weird Old Bat!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationCanada

The topic is kept closed with mother, who is 91, & my daughter & her family.

Jade  Meeow!

Canada

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

Today is Divine Mercy Sunday in the Roman Catholic Church. My mom, who was watching a mass on TV (after having earlier attended a mass in person—she can’t get enough of them) was “considerate” enough to remind me of this.

I know very well what today is. It was a Divine Mercy Sunday service in 2002 that delivered a shock to my sense of morality. A booklet on how to make a good confession was passed out, and in it I learned:

• Masturbation is a mortal sin (i.e., you will burn in hell forever unless you relate the juicy details to a priest, including how many times you did it).
  • Too much yard work on a Sunday will also send you to hell.
  • But failing to defend the Christian faith is only a venial sin! I could abandon other souls to eternal torment, then forgive myself just by talking to myself in my head!

This seemed to me the inverse of proportionality. I quickly checked the inside front cover of the booklet to be sure, and there were the magic Latin words, “NIHIL OBSTAT” and “IMPRIMATUR.” You ex-devout Catholics know what that means. There was no weaseling out of this.

That shock turned out to be a fatal wound to my faith. It took another 3.4 years for my faith to slip away: wrestling with my conscience; fearing the 7 demons that were attacking me (yes, literally); reluctantly accepting my sister’s request to become her daughter’s godfather in the hope that it would reinvigorate my faith; fearing my eternal fate if my 2003 overflight of Antarctica should go down in the icy wilderness; wondering if the RCC was as in touch with God as I thought it was; discovering philosophical skepticism; and eventually wondering if there was any god at all.

I told my mom that I knew what day it was, that in fact it was special to me because it triggered my loss of faith. She responded “reassuringly” that divine mercy is still real. She still speaks to me as if I buy into her premises, and am just in defiant denial of the plainly obvious Truth; I don’t even think she is capable of grasping the concept of me not accepting basic Christian premises. What could I do but roll my eyes?

I hope this doesn't come across as glib.  Sometimes, an aging parent will have dementia.  Your mom has piety.  What can you do?  She's still your mom.  In the end, God is nothing.  Truly, nothing.  Love is important.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deconversion, Divine Mercy Sunday, HRCC, morality, proportionality, faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users