Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gays can now get married in New Jersey... kinda

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society
http://www.bloomberg...394H3M&refer=us

http://news.google.c...,225119,00.html

Basically, the court ruled that they don't have to call it "marriage" as long as it grants them all of the same rights as married couples. So, we are playing word games here. A marriage by any other name would still grant the same rights and miseries and legal consequences.

You might not call it an apple, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an apple.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
That sounds very much like the present situation in California with domestic partnerships.

It is interesting to note that a Repugnican politician said that these issues should be decided by the legislature and not the courts. This was a Repugnican speaking in New Jersey.

While here in California, when our legislature did exactly that and passed a law giving fags and dykes EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW, including the right to marry, the Repugnican Governator of California said that this was an issue that should NOT be decided by the legislature.

One way or the other, the Repugnicans are desperate not to lose the ability to "protect" the people from equal rights for queers.  I mean, once the queers have equal rights, they've only got Mexican immigrants left to "protect" the people from.

I guess at this point neither the courts nor the legislature should decide.

In any case, Repugnicans seem to always support the more repressive or violent option in any decision making process. Maybe they don't see a way to make money from peace and freedom.

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
If you get a Civil Union, are you then Unionized?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

If you get a Civil Union, are you then Unionized?

I guess you are dues some respect for that question :-)

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society

I guess at this point neither the courts nor the legislature should decide.

It looks like the legislature still needs to do something. At this point, no one knows if this means we should be granting marriage licenses to gay couples or if we should be treating domestic partnerships as essentially synonymous with marriage. The easy way, of course, would be to eliminate domestic partnerships and remove the gender requirements for marriage licenses. Knowing the way things work here, the Republicrats and Democans will find some way to make it extremely complicated.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So, we are playing word games here. A marriage by any other name would still grant the same rights and miseries and legal consequences.

You might not call it an apple, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an apple.

Hi Tyger Tamer!  :smt039

Yeah, it does seem to be a matter of "semantic justice", but if that's what it takes to treat people fairly, then I'll accept it, for now. Later, though, we need to completely erase any differences in the way people are treated by society so that true justice can prevail, but at least our collective feet are in the door.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
For me, as one of the people whose civil rights are up for debate instead of being acknowledged de-facto, it really comes down to this: I'd like my city, state and federal governments to recognize the FACT that my partner and I have a serious committed relationship.

I would like it if we had the same civil rights as other committed and legally recognized couples.

My money seems to be just as green as any heterosexual person's money, and I pay taxes just like every other law-abiding citizen pays any taxes they may owe. I expect to receive the same treatment from my government as other people do. No more, no less.  Equality is good enough for me.

I don't give a shit what any stupid fucking religions say, think, believe or call for. They can all take a flying leap off a tall cliff and die miserable horrible deaths for all I care. For each and every stupid fucking homophobic religion on this entire planet, fuck that religion.

That's quite honestly exactly the way I feel on this subject.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

For me, as one of the people whose civil rights are up for debate instead of being acknowledged de-facto, it really comes down to this: I'd like my city, state and federal governments to recognize the FACT that my partner and I have a serious committed relationship.

I would like it if we had the same civil rights as other committed and legally recognized couples.

My money seems to be just as green as any heterosexual person's money, and I pay taxes just like every other law-abiding citizen pays any taxes they may owe. I expect to receive the same treatment from my government as other people do. No more, no less.  Equality is good enough for me.

I don't give a shit what any stupid fucking religions say, think, believe or call for. They can all take a flying leap off a tall cliff and die miserable horrible deaths for all I care. For each and every stupid fucking homophobic religion on this entire planet, fuck that religion.

That's quite honestly exactly the way I feel on this subject.

I totally agree, Steve.  But...you're sounding kind of a bit militant there.  Remember the "nice" Christians.  Go easy on them.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

I totally agree, Steve.  But...you're sounding kind of a bit militant there.  Remember the "nice" Christians.  Go easy on them.

Militant, certainly. Justified? Perhaps.

Are the nice Christians the ones that sponsor ballot initiatives to deny TV evangelists equal rights under the law? Because I have not noticed too much of that.

Where are all of these nice Christians when the Presidunce of the United States starts mumbling ridiculous platitudes about the Sanctity of Marriage? Are these nice Christians speaking up in my defense?  Have I been missing news stories about nice Christians that oppose the Fundamentalists?

If these nice Christians are really out there, I think it is time for them to come out of their closets.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll link this instead...

"Friendly" Christians"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users